News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is the masquerade necessary?

Started by jimmy olsen, May 21, 2013, 08:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the masquerade necessary?

Yes! The sheeple need to be kept in the dark!
7 (53.8%)
No! People need to know the truth!
6 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Tamas

look at the War On Terror, War on Drugs, Jooos Did It, Morgan Stanley Did It, The Russians Did It, etc.

Easiest way to keep people in line is fear of an easily identifiable common enemy. Aliens would be utilized as such if they existed, and not kept secret.

Martinus

Eddie Teach

Somebody explain the thread to Marty.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: fahdiz on May 22, 2013, 12:54:38 AM
This thread is really stupid.
It's a common enough phenomena in popular culture, why can't we discuss it?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Gups

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 21, 2013, 11:07:40 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 21, 2013, 10:13:04 PM
A world with monsters lurking in the shadows is more relatable than one with them in the open.
Most works of fiction set in the present don't have a handful of monsters lurking on the fringes of civilization.  They have full blown international conspiracies covering up suspicious deaths all over the place.

If you don't like it, try reading half-decent books.

Caliga

Quote from: PDH on May 21, 2013, 09:21:46 PM
then I decided to vote for the Gor option (Tim gets run over by MB in a Humvee).
CABOT!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

What a bizarre thread!  :lol:

The answer is simple:  if the book's plot requires that an alien presence be kept secret, then the author should present a plot in which it is kept secret.  If the book's plot requires that an alien presence be made known, then the author should present a plot in which it is made known.

Authors of fiction have a great deal of freedom in deciding how the fictional people in their fictional works would react to the fictional information that fictional aliens were present on a fictional earth.  Why anyone would think this concept thread-worthy is beyond me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on May 22, 2013, 06:08:32 AM

The answer is simple:  if the book's plot requires that an alien presence be kept secret, then the author should present a plot in which it is kept secret.  If the book's plot requires that an alien presence be made known, then the author should present a plot in which it is made known.

Authors of fiction have a great deal of freedom in deciding how the fictional people in their fictional works would react to the fictional information that fictional aliens were present on a fictional earth.  Why anyone would think this concept thread-worthy is beyond me.

Hey, if it's worth writing a whole book... /shrug

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on May 21, 2013, 09:21:46 PM
I was torn between the Turtledove option (Tim is smashed under a falling Byzantine Empire) and the Stirling option (Tim is killed by a gratuitous lesbian), then I decided to vote for the Gor option (Tim gets run over by MB in a Humvee).

YEEEEEEHAWWW!  Then I would plant an American flag on his corpse while wildly firing a gun into the air.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

It is only necessary for creating the illusion that this is the real world they are talking about.  In reality a secret like that wouldn't stay kept for long anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

You need the masquerade to help with suspension of disbelief. If you are going to set a vampire story in modern times you need to explain why the reader doesn't know about them. The secret opens of for easily manufactured suspense and drama (assuming you introduced a sufficiently non-stupid masquerade). I actually prefer the masquerade induced drama to the normal my baby/girlfriend/bff/father/mother is in danger so I'll do something stupid kind of drama.

If you get it right it can help the story.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 22, 2013, 06:51:52 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 22, 2013, 06:08:32 AM

Hey, if it's worth writing a whole book... /shrug

I guess, g, has different standards for evaluating books.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Well, we've got 50 pages on tea party tax evasion and nearly 200 on Canadian politics, obviously just about anything is "thread worthy".  :homestar: