Moore Oklahoma Obliterated by F5 Tornado, 24 dead, at least 9 of them kids

Started by jimmy olsen, May 20, 2013, 05:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 22, 2013, 02:16:31 PM
I don't even know why I try with you. Did you not read my post where I said, "I assumed schools would all have tornado shelters in tornado alley....I never presented myself as a learned expert on school construction. It obviously is not actually that common in Oklahoma for anyone to have a tornado shelter." So in response to me saying I was incorrect about tornado shelters being a common thing, you point out that I was being incorrect. Makes me think you did not even read my post.

I also never claimed dodging a tornado was the best option, what I said was with the typical 15 minute warning that is enough time to get into a sheltered area if you have a shelter. If you don't have a shelter, it may not be unless one is close by. You're mostly wrong about them appearing in storm lines hundreds of miles long, the strongest tornadoes almost exclusively appear in super cells which are typically not part of a "hundreds of mile long storm line." (The ones that form in Florida tend to be associated with different types of storms, but also tend to be EF0/EF1 and are less of a concern. You can actually drive a car through an EF0 tornado and not even have it flip over if you're willing to risk debris fucking your car up.

You are also mostly incorrect about the unpredictability of tornadoes. No one can predict precisely where a tornado will land or what direction it will move in once it does, but the signatures in the storm can always be detected prior to tornado formation if the local radar infrastructure allows for it. Now, those signatures can occur even when a tornado doesn't, so you'll have false alarms (in fact anyone who lives in tornado country hears far more sirens associated with false alarms than with real tornadoes.) But generally no, the tornado doesn't form without those precursor signatures and those usually start around 15 minutes before a tornado forms. FWIW that is exactly what happened in Moore, alarms went off 15 minutes prior to touchdown. Not everyone was able to take adequate shelter.

Yes, I read your post.  And based on your assumption I concluded you don't know what you are talking about.  The sirens only go off when a Tornado has been spotted, so it's very easy for one to come crashing down before someone has spotted it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Maybe it's different in Missouri but here they set off the sirens before a tornado has actually formed.

Razgovory

I was going by what NOAA says.

QuoteThis is issued when a tornado is indicated by the WSR-88D radar or sighted by spotters; therefore, people in the affected area should seek safe shelter immediately. They can be issued without a Tornado Watch being already in effect. They are usually issued for a duration of around 30 minutes.

A Tornado Warning is issued by your local National Weather Service office (NWFO). It will include where the tornado was located and what towns will be in its path. If the tornado will affect the nearshore or coastal waters, it will be issued as the combined product--Tornado Warning and Special Marine Warning. If the thunderstorm which is causing the tornado is also producing torrential rains, this warning may also be combined with a Flash Flood Warning. If there is an ampersand (&) symbol at the bottom of the warning, it indicates that the warning was issued as a result of a severe weather report.

After it has been issued, the affected NWFO will followed it up periodically with Severe Weather Statements. These statements will contain updated information on the tornado and they will also let the public know when warning is no longer in effect

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/glossary/index.php?word=Tornado+Warning  This has been my experience as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2013, 02:17:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 22, 2013, 02:05:48 PM
The Salvation Army is a church

No.

:hmm:

I wonder what the building at the end of my block is for then. It certainly appears to be a church in every recognizable way, up to and including having services on Sundays. And it's called The Salvation Army Church.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on May 22, 2013, 03:10:56 PM
Yes, I read your post.  And based on your assumption I concluded you don't know what you are talking about.  The sirens only go off when a Tornado has been spotted, so it's very easy for one to come crashing down before someone has spotted it.

Um... no, not really. At least, not around here, nor in Des Moines.

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on May 22, 2013, 03:34:36 PM
I was going by what NOAA says.

QuoteThis is issued when a tornado is indicated by the WSR-88D radar or sighted by spotters; therefore, people in the affected area should seek safe shelter immediately.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/glossary/index.php?word=Tornado+Warning  This has been my experience as well.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on May 22, 2013, 03:37:10 PM

I wonder what the building at the end of my block is for then. It certainly appears to be a church in every recognizable way, up to and including having services on Sundays. And it's called The Salvation Army Church.

I stand corrected.

Razgovory

A tornado spotted by radar is still spotted.  Maybe Iowa has it's different protocols, but those are from the national weather service and are the ones I know about.

Oh and the Salvation army has a great song:  I always feel the urge to sing it when I see one of those guys with a red kettle.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foXs9bZq-vg

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 22, 2013, 12:52:45 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 21, 2013, 05:56:39 PM
I understand that both of the Oklahoma senators voted against Hurricane Katrina aid. I wonder if they think Oklahoma will need federal aid now.

In their defense they are doing the same thing with the aid here they did for Superstorm Sandy. They are not saying they won't vote for aid, they're saying they will only vote for aid if it is offset by cuts elsewhere. Basically they are arguing natural disaster aid should be "spending neutral", and that a natural disaster might warrant specific Federal spending but it also would warrant special belt-tightening in other areas. Without offering an opinion on that concept, I will say to their credit they are saying the same thing now--any aid their State receives should be offset by spending cuts elsewhere.

I'll offer an opinion on that concept, and say it's a pretty stupid fucking approach when it comes to fiscal responsibility attempting to eliminate the Federal government.

Admiral Yi

Raz: I don't see anything in your cut and paste that says sirens only go off when the feds issue a Tornado Warning.  And I know for a fact they go off around here without anything forming.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2013, 03:55:17 PM
Raz: I don't see anything in your cut and paste that says sirens only go off when the feds issue a Tornado Warning.  And I know for a fact they go off around here without anything forming.

I think that's how it works around here as well. 

And if anything touches down, it's up Ed's way.  We're east of downtown and it's a bit hilly for that where I live.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2013, 03:55:17 PM

Those are test, Yi.  They happen once a month.