Yahoo buying Tumblr for $1.1 billion, vows not to screw it up

Started by garbon, May 20, 2013, 08:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on May 20, 2013, 12:51:32 PM
No, but seriously: I was just wondering where DG got this impression of Yahoo's CEO from.  I'm not saying he's wrong, just wondering how he came to those conclusions. :hmm:
Coming across random news articles on the Internet.

katmai

His best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who knows her.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

MadImmortalMan

She's been all over the financial news since she was hired. Just google her, you'll see.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DontSayBanana

See: maternity leave, telecommuting.  Yahoo's damage control team has already had to step in and extend the maternity leave policy to make it look like she wasn't taking a stand.

I'm not even gonna try to back it up with any hard evidence- I just get a really bad vibe from Marissa Mayer; she comes across as really fake and scripted.
Experience bij!

Caliga

*shrug* Yahoo is a goner no matter what she does.  That's why she was smart to take the job.... if she's still there when the company goes down, I doubt anyone will blame her.  But she'll probably still walk away with a gigantic parachute and since it wasn't her fault, she'll be able to go elsewhere with minimal difficulty.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 20, 2013, 12:58:17 PM
I'm not even gonna try to back it up with any hard evidence- I just get a really bad vibe from Marissa Mayer; she comes across as really fake and scripted.

Every major company CEO (possibly excluding guys that started their own companies) is really scripted. I don't know if you can be anything but fake when your talking points are usually written by a team and vetting by a bunch of lawyers and financial types.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 20, 2013, 09:21:17 AM
If you have to vow not to screw it up, chances are you're going to screw it up.

[obligatory Languish post about HOTT ladies in any context]

I'd screw Marissa Mayer up.

[/obligatory Languish post about HOTT ladies in any context]

Phillip V

David Karp, founder of Tumblr, left Bronx High School of Science at age 14 to focus on computers, at the suggestion of his mother.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/21/technology/david-karp-quit-school-to-get-serious-about-start-ups.html

Maladict

Yahoo just ruined Flickr, by the looks of it. My pro account is now useless, I can pay double to remove ads or pay twentyfold for the new pro :bleeding:
Not to mention all the terrible layout changes  :(

fhdz

I find the layout changes far, far better than the previous version.
and the horse you rode in on

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 20, 2013, 03:28:42 PM
[obligatory Languish post about HOTT ladies in any context]

I'd screw Marissa Mayer up.

[/obligatory Languish post about HOTT ladies in any context]

Not bad.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Phillip V

That's from her young Google days. Now she is no hot startup anymore. :( (though still attractive as far as older women come)

Valmy

Quote from: Phillip V on May 21, 2013, 05:34:22 AM
That's from her young Google days. Now she is no hot startup anymore. :( (though still attractive as far as older women come)

She is only 37....
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2013, 08:11:44 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on May 21, 2013, 05:34:22 AM

She is only 37....

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.