'Seeking Asian Female' Takes A Close Look At A Fetish

Started by jimmy olsen, May 15, 2013, 01:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 15, 2013, 11:36:32 AM

Meh, believe it or not, but height has never done me a damned bit of good.

Hey, who knows how bad things would be for you if you were short?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Anyway, Dan Savage had a pretty good "take" on racial preferences - if someone prefers you because of your racial characteristics, that may in some technical sense be racist, but who cares? If the 'harm' is that 'it is easier to get dates', well, that's not much of a harm. Sure beats 'it is easier to be lynched'.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on May 15, 2013, 12:02:25 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 15, 2013, 11:57:38 AMI took a theatre class at UT last semester and it was overwhelmingly about race.  I was pretty weirded out.

How so?

African-American theatre, Asian-American theatre, Latino-American theatre and so forth.  A whole section on Black Face minstrel shows.  Color-blind casting and controversies in race in the theatre.  Which race and gender and sexuality holds the power in theatre and how stories are told?  Just a hint: those people sorta resemble me :P

My favorite was the GLBT stuff, which of course also had a large section about race.  'Gay' theatre is mainstream and makes big bucks.  'Lesbian' theatre is obscure crap that rejects all the patriarchal standards that plays require things like plots and a play text.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on May 15, 2013, 11:46:05 AM
Quote from: Jacob on May 15, 2013, 11:28:30 AM
I'm continually weirded out by the American obsession with race and the multi-splendored ways in which it manifests itself.

Max says the same thing. It actually repulses him a lot of the time. I had no idea how bad it was until he moved down here. I'm learning how bad we are, but it's a process to disengage from the public discussion. I always thought that I was pretty liberal in my thinking, but the more time I spend with Max, the more I realize that I'm no better than those I consider overly-concerned with race. All I can do is try to get better.

It's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't scenarios.  But I actually get a chuckle over most foreigners who come here without the "concern for race" chip we have implanted in our heads.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 15, 2013, 12:16:12 PM
Quote from: merithyn on May 15, 2013, 11:46:05 AM
Quote from: Jacob on May 15, 2013, 11:28:30 AM
I'm continually weirded out by the American obsession with race and the multi-splendored ways in which it manifests itself.

Max says the same thing. It actually repulses him a lot of the time. I had no idea how bad it was until he moved down here. I'm learning how bad we are, but it's a process to disengage from the public discussion. I always thought that I was pretty liberal in my thinking, but the more time I spend with Max, the more I realize that I'm no better than those I consider overly-concerned with race. All I can do is try to get better.

It's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't scenarios.  But I actually get a chuckle over most foreigners who come here without the "concern for race" chip we have implanted in our heads.

Oh, I don't think so at all. I think that we, as Americans, really do have an unhealthy concern over race, and we don't know it because we have very little to compare it to. Most Americans never live elsewhere, so they don't see the difference.

I also don't think it's a "chip" on their shoulder at all. I think it's confusion on why we place so much emphasis on something so unimportant.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on May 15, 2013, 12:20:18 PM
Oh, I don't think so at all. I think that we, as Americans, really do have an unhealthy concern over race, and we don't know it because we have very little to compare it to. Most Americans never live elsewhere, so they don't see the difference.

I also don't think it's a "chip" on their shoulder at all. I think it's confusion on why we place so much emphasis on something so unimportant.

Well I have been informed that not taking race very seriously is just a way to protect white privilege from the fierce scrutiny it deserves.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on May 15, 2013, 12:23:52 PM
Well I have been informed that not taking race very seriously is just a way to protect white privilege from the fierce scrutiny it deserves.

I didn't say that our unhealthy preoccupation with race was restricted to only white people. ;)

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on May 15, 2013, 12:26:17 PM

I didn't say that our unhealthy preoccupation with race was restricted to only white people. ;)

I did not mean to imply you did not.  I was just repeating what I was told in my theatre class :P

I sure learned alot about race.  A little about theatre as well though I think that might have been unintentional.

MadImmortalMan

Strange considering that the only way to eradicate racism is to ignore race as a factor entirely like our foreign friends do.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 15, 2013, 01:01:06 PM
Strange considering that the only way to eradicate racism is to ignore race as a factor entirely like our foreign friends do.

I used to think that as well.  I was surprised to learn that this is, in fact, racist.

Lettow77

I was surprised to see my name associated with this. I find asian women unattractive, and have objections to marrying one that are so significant to ensure I likely never would.

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Valmy

Quote from: Lettow77 on May 15, 2013, 01:14:51 PM
I was surprised to see my name associated with this. I find asian women unattractive, and have objections to marrying one that are so significant to ensure I likely never would.

That is surprising I thought you were a Japanophile.  But I guess being one does not necessarily mean you want to marry a Japanese woman. 

derspiess

You're preaching to the choir. But if you wipe all race consciousness from your mind you'll get into some awkward situations, unless you can get all other Americans to do so as well simultaneously.

Completely misread me :P I'm saying foreigners lack that chip that gets implanted in our American brains to make us overly concerned about race. And that I get amused with some of the things that happen with naive foreigners who lack that chip.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 15, 2013, 01:22:13 PM

You're preaching to the choir. But if you wipe all race consciousness from your mind you'll get into some awkward situations, unless you can get all other Americans to do so as well simultaneously.

Completely misread me :P I'm saying foreigners lack that chip that gets implanted in our American brains to make us overly concerned about race. And that I get amused with some of the things that happen with naive foreigners who lack that chip.

Yep, totally misread you. :lol:

Agree on all points. :hug:

Lettow77

Quote from: Valmy on May 15, 2013, 01:19:48 PM
That is surprising I thought you were a Japanophile.  But I guess being one does not necessarily mean you want to marry a Japanese woman.

:huh: Everyone knows Japanese are not asians. They are honorary aryans!

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'