'Seeking Asian Female' Takes A Close Look At A Fetish

Started by jimmy olsen, May 15, 2013, 01:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on May 15, 2013, 10:09:45 AM
All things being equal, I have a preference for white girls.  But for some reason when you're also white no one calls that a fetish.  :hmm:

Naw, you just get thought a milquetoast.

Of course, one look at you, and no-one would dream of thinking that.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

QuoteIt's hard to watch Seeking Asian Female, Debbie Lum's uncomfortably close look at the phenomenon some call "yellow fever" — when usually non-Asian men fetishize Asian women as romantic or sexual partners — without squirming. And at first, it seems like it wasn't so easy for Lum to document the phenomenon.

It seems to me she didn't really document the phenomenon, or being generous just touched on the most lunatic fringe of it. I think most of us have known someone that likes dating asian girls, but that really isn't the same thing as some loser ordering a mail order bride half his age.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

merithyn

Quote from: alfred russel on May 15, 2013, 10:28:43 AM

It seems to me she didn't really document the phenomenon, or being generous just touched on the most lunatic fringe of it. I think most of us have known someone that likes dating asian girls, but that really isn't the same thing as some loser ordering a mail order bride half his age.

I think the guy's response is that the director edited the film to give that appearance, and that he's not a loser ordering a mail order bride half his age, but rather a guy who met a woman online, fell in love, and married her. That his preference was for Asian women was a side note, from his perspective, and age wasn't really a factor.

Given how editing can seriously change the feel and impression of a subject, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this. *shrugs*
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Heh, reminds me of that article on general preferences by racial characteristics in NA - as I recall Asian women did well, Asian men did poorly.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on May 15, 2013, 10:37:44 AM
Heh, reminds me of that article on general preferences by racial characteristics in NA - as I recall Asian women did well, Asian men did poorly.

It's very strange. I think that Asian men are attractive, but I've never had any desire to date one. No idea why.

Jacob

I'm continually weirded out by the American obsession with race and the multi-splendored ways in which it manifests itself.

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on May 15, 2013, 10:34:24 AM
I think the guy's response is that the director edited the film to give that appearance, and that he's not a loser ordering a mail order bride half his age, but rather a guy who met a woman online, fell in love, and married her. That his preference was for Asian women was a side note, from his perspective, and age wasn't really a factor.

Given how editing can seriously change the feel and impression of a subject, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this. *shrugs*

I would probably say that too if I ordered a mail order bride half my age and this was documented in a film.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2013, 08:01:53 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 15, 2013, 07:45:45 AM
Somebody want to explain the difference between being attracted to and fetishizing?  And I am sort of taken aback that having a certain type you are attracted to is twisted somehow.

This is not the first time I have heard outrage over this before, as if non-asian men wanting to sleep with asian women is equivalent to the most vile racism, and I just do not get the horribleness of this.  How exactly is this any more creepy than Cal liking big boobs?

Yeah, I don't get it either;  it all falls under secondary sex traits.  Short hair, redhead, asian, bust size, etc.

And I don't see anybody stirring up any shit over the multitudes of women that won't date anybody under 5'10".

Meh, believe it or not, but height has never done me a damned bit of good.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on May 15, 2013, 11:28:30 AM
I'm continually weirded out by the American obsession with race and the multi-splendored ways in which it manifests itself.

Max says the same thing. It actually repulses him a lot of the time. I had no idea how bad it was until he moved down here. I'm learning how bad we are, but it's a process to disengage from the public discussion. I always thought that I was pretty liberal in my thinking, but the more time I spend with Max, the more I realize that I'm no better than those I consider overly-concerned with race. All I can do is try to get better.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on May 15, 2013, 11:28:30 AM

I took a theatre class at UT last semester and it was overwhelmingly about race.  I was pretty weirded out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on May 15, 2013, 11:57:38 AMI took a theatre class at UT last semester and it was overwhelmingly about race.  I was pretty weirded out.

How so?

Malthus