News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

From Street View to Map - A Game.

Started by Grey Fox, May 10, 2013, 08:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

http://geoguessr.com/

From a street view picture you need to guess where you are in the world.

11357 over my first 5 rounds.

Hint : You can move in Street view making it easier when you are in the middle of a forest.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

9465 on first go. It sure likes Australia.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

Quote from: Syt on May 10, 2013, 08:36:52 AM
9465 on first go. It sure likes Australia.
Really? Mine were all US. I thought it meant "Where in the world?" as in "World Series".

Grey Fox

Syt

I love it when it dumps you in the middle of a non-descript nordic forest.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

Most I got so far was 11900, but I also had a game with just 4000 points. Some are impossibly hard. Deserts, forests, end less cornfields etc.

Syt

I noticed that the game allows you to move around using the streetview controls. That makes things a bit easier (at least if you're in a settlement).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

GF wrote that in his initial post. ;)

I got the Golden Gate Bridge this time. If you pinpoint a location perfectly, you still only get 3200 points...

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

Had a good one. A guy standing alone, in the snow, in front of a large, abandoned Soviet style building. All other buildings in town also look decrepit.

My guess: Prypyat. Correct! :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

PRC

11142 on my first try.  Three of the guesses in Australia, two in USA.  One of the Australian guesses had a clearly visible flag in it so that made it a little easier.  Also got lucky on one where I guessed Texas and wasn't that far off.  Basically it was a dirt road in the middle of nowhere, could have been Africa but I figured the yellow lines on the road wouldn't be there in Africa so I guessed Texas and got it right.

Josephus

That's fun. Thanks. Now I'll never get any work done. Oh, whatever, I'm losing my job soon anyways.
I had one in Munich that actually had a German version of "You are entering Munich" sign, so that was kinda easy.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

It's sometimes a bit like Twilight Zone when you explore an area to get your bearings - beautiful sunshine and a few buildings off the street. Move a couple hundred yards - winter, and the buildings are gone. Move another couple yards - summer again, and the buildings are back. It's like jumping through time holes. :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

DGuller

Got 11388 on my first try.  I got lucky by getting two places where it looked like a shithole, but there were white people there.  Eastern Europe is not that big, so I got plenty of points on those.

Grey Fox

I got one which was some indoor fence yard with a asian looking dude. Trees looked Korean. Picked a spot in South Korean, within ~33km! :w00t: