And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on July 13, 2016, 12:31:51 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 13, 2016, 10:53:02 AM
Quote from: DGuller on July 12, 2016, 06:21:22 PMa super senate .

?
I don't get it.  The SCT is nothing like the Senate.
It's a legislative body with 9 representatives.

It doesn't ratify treaties or confirm ambassadors or cabinet members.  It can't initiate legislation or approve legislation sent to it by the House.  It can only decide disputes that are brought before it and then only subject to its limited jurisdiction.  So other than the fact that it does nothing the Senate does and does things the Senate doesn't do, I guess it could like the Senate (?)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Well, they do pretty much make laws according to their political beliefs.  DG does have a point.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 13, 2016, 01:51:20 PM
Well, they do pretty much make laws according to their political beliefs.  DG does have a point.

They interpret the laws according to their completely nonpartisan view of the Constitution Spicey :angry:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2016, 01:54:04 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 13, 2016, 01:51:20 PM

They interpret the laws according to their completely nonpartisan view of the Constitution Spicey :angry:

I know  :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 13, 2016, 12:36:58 PM
It doesn't ratify treaties or confirm ambassadors or cabinet members.  It can't initiate legislation or approve legislation sent to it by the House.  It can only decide disputes that are brought before it and then only subject to its limited jurisdiction.  So other than the fact that it does nothing the Senate does and does things the Senate doesn't do, I guess it could like the Senate (?)
You are overly focusing on the detailed workings of the US Senate, whereas I'm calling it a senate in a sense that it's an upper house.  I was also making a play on the senator-for-life concept that exists in some other countries with such bodies.

derspiess

Every time I hear about Trump meeting with Pence re: possible VP selection I think of Hunter Pence :mellow:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on July 13, 2016, 02:29:06 PM
Every time I hear about Trump meeting with Pence re: possible VP selection I think of Hunter Pence :mellow:

:lol: the same
"Wait why does Trump think a gimped injury prone outfielder is going to help him swing states?"
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Faxed my request for an absente ballot just now. :)

What the hell Rhode Island, I'm 100% positive I was able to do this via email last time. <_<
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

derspiess

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/white_house_watch

QuoteThe latest Rasmussen Reports weekly White House Watch survey of Likely U.S. Voters finds Trump with 44% support to Clinton's 37%. Thirteen percent (13%) favor some other candidate, and six percent (6%) are undecided.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

RBG says she regrets going up against the Trump. He's not even president yet and he's already forced the Supreme Court prostrate before him.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 14, 2016, 10:12:57 AM
RBG says she regrets going up against the Trump. He's not even president yet and he's already forced the Supreme Court prostrate before him.

(((RBG)))
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 14, 2016, 10:24:24 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on July 14, 2016, 10:12:57 AM

(((RBG)))

:D
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2016, 10:09:13 AM
Just glad it is July :lol:

Yep.  Trump campaign will implode on July 31.  You heard it here first.