News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: frunk on July 07, 2016, 03:22:35 PM
I think Berkut's system would help fight that though, since the Feds would be partially funding the in state student (which is not true now).  If lack of funding for the university drives them to seek out of state students, making in state students generate more money would only help.

Exactly.

Which is why I don't think there is a need to solve this problem in advance. Let the system sort it out, and see what happens. Will tweaking be needed by the states? Perhaps - let them do so.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: frunk on July 07, 2016, 03:22:35 PM
I think Berkut's system would help fight that though, since the Feds would be partially funding the in state student (which is not true now).  If lack of funding for the university drives them to seek out of state students, making in state students generate more money would only help.

Yes he provides federal funding. But at the same time he removes in state tuition, which is often significant.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Savonarola

QuoteHouse Democrats boo Bernie Sanders in contentious meeting

Washington (CNN)House Democrats roughed up Sen. Bernie Sanders in a closed-door session Wednesday after he deflected questions about when he would formally back Hillary Clinton for president, with a group of members booing him at one point, according to three Democrats who attended the meeting.

The vast majority of House Democrats endorsed Clinton's candidacy early in the primary process, but Sanders was invited to attend the weekly meeting as a courtesy extended to all presidential candidates. When Clinton appeared last month, she was applauded and praised for her commitment to help Democrats regain control of Congress this fall.

Many Democrats have been reluctant to publicly criticize Sanders for continuing his campaign because they want to ensure that the supporters he activated through the long primary contest will come out and vote for the Democratic ticket in November. But some members let out their frustration with the Vermont senator Wednesday morning, with one member calling Sanders' appearance before the caucus a "total display of self-obsession."

During the discussion, Sanders told the group "the goal is not to win elections" and took a dramatic pause, before adding that the aim was to win the battle of ideas, according to multiple sources in the room.

A series of Democrats pressed Sanders to say when he would end his efforts and endorse Clinton and work to unite the party. But after Reps. John Garamendi of California, Mark Takano of California and Joyce Beatty of Ohio, failed to get a concrete answer from the senator, roughly a dozen members booed him inside the room.

During one exchange several members chanted "timeline, timeline" when Sanders' sidestepped a question on when he would back Clinton.

Asked about his message to the House Democratic Caucus, Sanders said as he left the session, "We've got to get a large voter turnout. If we get a large voter turnout, Democrats will regain control of the Senate and I believe they're going to take the House back."

House Democratic Caucus Chairman Xavier Becerra, who presided over the meeting, said he never heard any boos during the session, but downplayed the dissent, saying the discussion was "animated." He said members did focus on the need to unify, and Sanders informed House Democrats that Clinton was announcing her support for his approach on college affordability.

Well, at least they weren't chanting "Toga! toga!"

When I read the first line of this story I thought that the Democrats had returned to their union roots.  (Just imagine how the International Brotherhood of Teamsters would have handled Bernie in the old days; why 40 years later we still wouldn't know where he was buried.)  It turns out they had meant a metaphoric roughing up; our political parties just aren't what they used to be.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Finally caught up on a thread. I'm sorry the Bernie Sanders ran over Jaron's dog
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Savonarola on July 07, 2016, 03:52:13 PM
QuoteHouse Democrats boo Bernie Sanders in contentious meeting

Washington (CNN)House Democrats roughed up Sen. Bernie Sanders in a closed-door session Wednesday after he deflected questions about when he would formally back Hillary Clinton for president, with a group of members booing him at one point, according to three Democrats who attended the meeting.

The vast majority of House Democrats endorsed Clinton's candidacy early in the primary process, but Sanders was invited to attend the weekly meeting as a courtesy extended to all presidential candidates. When Clinton appeared last month, she was applauded and praised for her commitment to help Democrats regain control of Congress this fall.

Many Democrats have been reluctant to publicly criticize Sanders for continuing his campaign because they want to ensure that the supporters he activated through the long primary contest will come out and vote for the Democratic ticket in November. But some members let out their frustration with the Vermont senator Wednesday morning, with one member calling Sanders' appearance before the caucus a "total display of self-obsession."

During the discussion, Sanders told the group "the goal is not to win elections" and took a dramatic pause, before adding that the aim was to win the battle of ideas, according to multiple sources in the room.

A series of Democrats pressed Sanders to say when he would end his efforts and endorse Clinton and work to unite the party. But after Reps. John Garamendi of California, Mark Takano of California and Joyce Beatty of Ohio, failed to get a concrete answer from the senator, roughly a dozen members booed him inside the room.

During one exchange several members chanted "timeline, timeline" when Sanders' sidestepped a question on when he would back Clinton.

Asked about his message to the House Democratic Caucus, Sanders said as he left the session, "We've got to get a large voter turnout. If we get a large voter turnout, Democrats will regain control of the Senate and I believe they're going to take the House back."

House Democratic Caucus Chairman Xavier Becerra, who presided over the meeting, said he never heard any boos during the session, but downplayed the dissent, saying the discussion was "animated." He said members did focus on the need to unify, and Sanders informed House Democrats that Clinton was announcing her support for his approach on college affordability.

Well, at least they weren't chanting "Toga! toga!"

When I read the first line of this story I thought that the Democrats had returned to their union roots.  (Just imagine how the International Brotherhood of Teamsters would have handled Bernie in the old days; why 40 years later we still wouldn't know where he was buried.)  It turns out they had meant a metaphoric roughing up; our political parties just aren't what they used to be.   :(

I guess bullying is okay when the right Democrats do it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

FunkMonk

Per the WaPo, Trump's meeting on the Hill today didn't go swimmingly.  :(

QuoteTrump said at the meeting that he has yet to attack Flake hard but threatened to begin doing so. Flake stood up to Trump by urging him to stop attacking Mexicans. Trump predicted that Flake would lose his reelection, at which point Flake informed Trump that he was not on the ballot this year, the sources said.  :lmfao:

"Senator Sasse went to today's meeting ready to listen. Senator Sasse introduced himself to Mr. Trump, and the two had a gracious exchange," said James Wegmann, the senator's spokesman. "Mr. Sasse continues to believe that our country is in a bad place and, with these two candidates, this election remains a dumpster fire. Nothing has changed."

Rep. Mark Sanford (R-S.C.) left the meeting worried about Trump's grasp on the basics of the Constitution. At a lunch with reporters afterward, he recalled that the candidate did not seem to know what he was promising to defend.

"I wasn't particularly impressed," Sanford said. "It was the normal stream of consciousness that's long on hyperbole and short on facts. At one point, somebody asked about Article I powers: What will you do to protect them? I think his response was, 'I want to protect Article I, Article II, Article XII,' going down the list. There is no Article XII." :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Minsky Moment

Safe to say a President Trump will vigorously defend Article II
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 07, 2016, 06:21:04 PM
Safe to say a President Trump will vigorously defend Article II

And also safe to say president trump would do more to undermine it than any previous president.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

And now we are live with the state department review of the email fiasco.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Is the Donald being managed?

QuoteDonald Trump has released an uncharacteristically measured response to the attacks. He tweeted:

QuotePrayers and condolences to all of the families who are so thoroughly devastated by the horrors we are all watching take place in our country
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

That's just the canned response; once things flesh out on the suspects, he'll respond accordingly.

garbon

He didn't go canned response at any moment with Orlando.

FunkMonk

Yeah, after his massive fuck up re Orlando he's being managed much more closely, I imagine.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney