Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Monoriu on June 14, 2016, 11:11:03 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on June 14, 2016, 10:11:16 AM
Donald Trump revokes Washington Post press credentials

QuoteDonald Trump says he is "revoking" the Washington Post's press access at his campaign events because the newspaper is "phony and dishonest."

In case you think life has passed you by; Trump has just proven that you're never too old to be Holden Caulfield.

:bleeding:  I need to revoke the assumption that, since Donald Trump has done so many outrageous things, he can no longer sink to new lows.

He has revoked press credentials to any number of outlets at this point.

QuoteThe Trump campaign has banned a number of news outlets from attending his events and press conferences over the past year, including POLITICO, Univision, The Des Moines Register, Buzzfeed and The Huffington Post.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/trump-washington-post-credentials-224281#ixzz4BZU2v9JQ
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Can they actually do that?

I mean - what if the news org just shows up anyway? Can they actually refuse them entry?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on June 14, 2016, 11:20:01 AM
Can they actually do that?

I mean - what if the news org just shows up anyway? Can they actually refuse them entry?

Sure - it's a private event, and the campaign can let in whomever they want.  There's a long history of having to get press credentials to get inside to cover events - to prevent some crank with a blog being given one of a limited number of seats.

But to deny well-established reporters from well respected news outlets (and Buzzfeed) is pretty chilling.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on June 14, 2016, 08:55:40 AM
I guess Christie is a Claudius character to Trump's Caligula character.  It didn't work out too badly for Claudius in the end, so maybe that's what Christie is shooting for?  :hmm:

I think if you count Bill as Augustus, then Dubya was Tiberius, Obama was Caligula, Trump is Claudius and Christie will be Nero. Which means Hillary is Livia, which kinda fits. :P

Valmy

Now now Obama has not made one horse a Senator. Though that would be an improvement for a lot of them :hmm:

QuoteWhich means Hillary is Livia, which kinda fits.

Like Trump and Sanders would still be alive if she was.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on June 14, 2016, 01:36:14 PM
Now now Obama has not made one horse a Senator. Though that would be an improvement for a lot of them :hmm:

QuoteWhich means Hillary is Livia, which kinda fits.

Like Trump and Sanders would still be alive if she was.

I guess Sanders would be Agrippa. And Livia did not manage to murder Claudius. :P

But I think Obama fits Caligula much more than Trump - when he ascended, he was considered a genius and a saviour of the country. On the other hand, Claudius was considered a bumbling fool before he became the emperor so it fits Trump. :P

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on June 14, 2016, 01:42:27 PM
I guess Sanders would be Agrippa. And Livia did not manage to murder Claudius. :P

Because Claudius was smart enough to never get in her way. :contract: Not what Trump is doing.

QuoteBut I think Obama fits for Caligula much more than Trump - when he ascended, he was considered a genius and a saviour of the country.

Because he was the son of the guy they really wish had become Emperor. It would have been like if JFK Jr. was elected President and turned out to be a monster.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on June 14, 2016, 01:46:17 PM
Because he was the son of the guy they really wish had become Emperor. It would have been like if JFK Jr. was elected President and turned out to be a monster.

Exactly like what's happening in Canada right now.   :(

;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Legbiter

Quote from: Barrister on June 14, 2016, 11:23:32 AMBut to deny well-established reporters from well respected news outlets (and Buzzfeed) is pretty chilling.

Given the media's enormous respect and perceived gravitas in the eyes of the people this snub by Trump is really going to diminish his outsider populist appeal.  ^_^
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Martinus

Quote from: Legbiter on June 14, 2016, 02:24:17 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 14, 2016, 11:23:32 AMBut to deny well-established reporters from well respected news outlets (and Buzzfeed) is pretty chilling.

Given the media's enormous respect and perceived gravitas in the eyes of the people this snub by Trump is really going to diminish his outsider populist appeal.  ^_^

This is surely the last straw. Voters can forgive Trump going after McCain or a crime busting judge, but they will never forgive him offending journalists.

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on June 14, 2016, 01:52:15 PM

;)

Damn you are correct! Though I think he is more like Commodus, what with his boxing

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on June 14, 2016, 02:31:17 PM

This is surely the last straw. Voters can forgive Trump going after McCain or a crime busting judge, but they will never forgive him offending journalists.

I love your new found respect and love for the lowest common denominator "will of the people".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on June 14, 2016, 02:38:49 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 14, 2016, 02:31:17 PM

I love your new found respect and love for the lowest common denominator "will of the people".

Presumably this is all just his latest pose. His life will continue, as is, remotely in Poland.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on June 14, 2016, 02:32:11 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on June 14, 2016, 01:52:15 PM

;)

Damn you are correct! Though I think he is more like Commodus, what with his boxing

I am still waiting for a modern Western leader who would be analogous to Heliogabalus. Both Caligula and Commodus are pretty bland in comparison. :P

Edit: Possibly if Milo ever gets elected, it could be it.  :lol:

Martinus

I love the Onion :D

QuoteU.N. Warns Trump May Be 7 Months Away From Acquiring Nuclear Weapons

NEW YORK—According to an alarming new global risk report published Tuesday by the United Nations Office for Disarmament Affairs, presumptive GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump may be just seven months away from acquiring nuclear weapons. "A year ago, the threat didn't seem great enough to warrant serious concern, but at this moment, a nuclear-capable Trump is now a very real and very imminent possibility," said UNODA high representative Kim Won-soo, adding that the agency's current projections showed Trump potentially procuring nuclear weapons, as well as advanced ballistic missile technology, as early as January of next year. "The longer we wait to act, the closer he comes to obtaining a nuclear arsenal. The final red line for preventing him from acquiring this devastating capability comes in early November. If he is not properly dealt with before then, there will be no way to stop him from going nuclear." While U.N. officials said the international community should prepare for the destabilizing effects of Trump acquiring such weapons, they still held out hope that citizens of his nation might yet rise up against him and topple the extremist before he posed a global existential threat.