Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on June 11, 2016, 01:06:37 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 10, 2016, 03:54:47 PM
Eh, reading a Hitler biography right now.  Things that that struck me, Hitler really didn't have program, just a few talking points he ram home.  In '32 even antisemitism was on the back burner.  Specifics were worked out by locals leaders to fit local conditions.  Hitler's message was pretty much "the establishment has failed you, they only serve special interests.  I can represent all Germans so elect me, I'm a genius".

Did he say anything about Hillary's private email server?

What is wrong with you?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on June 11, 2016, 01:06:37 AM
Did he say anything about Hillary's private email server?

Yes something about the decadent Jewish science behind the internet.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: celedhring on June 10, 2016, 10:54:35 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 10, 2016, 10:49:38 AM
But, while brutally honest, he is right. It's not like Obama came to power because of any specific policy he advocated. In fact, from the elections 8 years ago I can only recall one specific policy promise he made - closing Gitmo.

He ran pretty heavily on health care too. And whatever your opinion on ACA may be, it's undeniable that it was one of the cornerstones of his first term.

Both Hillary and Obama were running on universal health care plans that were quite similar. The major difference was that Hillary had an individual mandate, and Obama didn't. This was a major point of contention during the debates. Basically Hillary took a position that sounded bad but was necessary to make the policy work; Obama exploited the weakness on the sounding bad part. Then when elected: he reversed his position and included an individual mandate, because Hillary was right.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

There was also the promise to end the war in Iraq, and redouble efforts to find Bin Laden.  Which have been middling.  A new war has broken out in Iraq and there's a few thousands American soldiers in the country now.  Also while there was a very intensive search for Bin Laden in the early part of his administration it has tapered down to pretty much nothing.  I don't think they have any resources devoted to finding the man now.

Here's the thing, Obama and McCain had an ideology.  Their policies tended to stem from that ideology.  Trump doesn't really seem to have one, he has ideas, but they are often contradictory and idiosyncratic.  It isn't as if he take some first principles then applies them to problem.  His ideas are simply his instincts.  He threatens to turn the GOP into a "leader party", where the existence of the party is solely to propel him into office.

Over the years many people have said they wanted a person who is like Trump.  A person who isn't a professional politician.  (Maximus was big on this once), a person who's experience is solely from the private sector, a man who can run government like a business.  A person who isn't blinkered by ideology. A man who isn't the establishment. And here he is in all his grotesque glory.  Cruel, boorish, and ignorant.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Quote from: alfred russel on June 11, 2016, 02:34:17 PM
Quote from: celedhring on June 10, 2016, 10:54:35 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 10, 2016, 10:49:38 AM
But, while brutally honest, he is right. It's not like Obama came to power because of any specific policy he advocated. In fact, from the elections 8 years ago I can only recall one specific policy promise he made - closing Gitmo.

He ran pretty heavily on health care too. And whatever your opinion on ACA may be, it's undeniable that it was one of the cornerstones of his first term.

Both Hillary and Obama were running on universal health care plans that were quite similar. The major difference was that Hillary had an individual mandate, and Obama didn't. This was a major point of contention during the debates. Basically Hillary took a position that sounded bad but was necessary to make the policy work; Obama exploited the weakness on the sounding bad part. Then when elected: he reversed his position and included an individual mandate, because Hillary was right.

Or one might say, they were both wrong.  :sleep:

CountDeMoney

sbr

Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2016, 03:16:06 PM
Also while there was a very intensive search for Bin Laden in the early part of his administration it has tapered down to pretty much nothing.  I don't think they have any resources devoted to finding the man now.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: sbr on June 11, 2016, 06:43:19 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2016, 03:16:06 PM
Also while there was a very intensive search for Bin Laden in the early part of his administration it has tapered down to pretty much nothing.  I don't think they have any resources devoted to finding the man now.

It's a joke
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Guys, 5 months to go.  :cool:

Meanwhile here it, it's 12 days before the start of process for the dissolution of the United Kingdom.  :bowler:  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

It's going to be just too goddamned hot for this bullshit.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 11, 2016, 01:54:14 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 10, 2016, 11:02:39 PM
It really boiled down to the Führerprinzip.  The leader was the law/policy and the law/policy was the leader.

What really boiled down to Fuhrerprinzip?

The Nazi "ideological flexibility" Raz mentioned.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)