And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on June 07, 2016, 10:33:51 AM
Quote from: Berkut on June 07, 2016, 10:25:20 AM
Indeed - and what she did NOT say is that women suffer more than men from war, despite you insisting that she did say just that.

She made a direct implication to that effect.  If women are the *primary* victims of war, men must be the secondary victims.  Unless you think women and men are both primary, in which case primary carries zero meaning and should not be used.

No, I think she is saying that they are both primary victims, as opposed to the idea she is trying to get away from that women are only secondary victims. I know that for a man like yourself, and suggestion that women might have equal status in any way is seen as a implicit demotion, but not everyone shares that binary view of the world.

QuoteThe point she never made is that men don't suffer,
Never claimed she did.

Quoteare not victims,

Never said that, either.

Quoteor that either men or women have some kind of trump card of suffering over the other one.

Okay now that she did say.

Except that she didn't, and this is blindingly obvious if you actually read the context of her speech, rather than picking out a sentence that you can then construct some moral outrage over.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 07, 2016, 11:04:32 AM
Let's put it this way:

"During WW2 16 million Americans served in WW2.  Of that number, 300,000 were victimized by Axis forces."

OR

""During WW2 16 million Americans served in WW2.  Of that number, 300,000 gave their lives while fighting Axis forces."

Which of those sounds right to you?

Whichever one makes Hillary out as the man hating monster, of course.

0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on June 07, 2016, 10:54:02 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 07, 2016, 10:51:41 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 07, 2016, 10:41:54 AM
It's a rather odd use of language to refer to military combatants in a war as the "victims" of the war.  There are some circumstances where that might make sense, but not typically.  That is not to say that the soldiers or combatants do not suffer, obviously they do - and our culture honors, commemorates and respects that suffering.

"Victims" of a war typically refers to civilians harmed by the war, i.e. non-combatants.  And HC is probably right that historically the brunt of that falls disproportionately on women and their children.

So, the WW2 was virtually a victimless war from the US and the UK perspective?

I guess you don't care at all about what Hillary actually said. She noted how women can be victims which extends beyond being killed.

Valmy said:

QuoteWell they do tend to get raped, killed, sold into slavery, starved, and bombed when the war is close to home.  Just losing your male buddies/relatives/partners means you got off comparatively lightly.

So operating from that perspective, US women do not fit any of the cathegories (at least in any substantial numbers) - UK women the "being bombed" part, but so do in equal UK men who were not soldiers.

And if you think that you are a victim because your husband was killed (and this makes you more of a victim than he was) then you are insanely callous.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on June 07, 2016, 11:13:16 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 07, 2016, 10:54:02 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 07, 2016, 10:51:41 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 07, 2016, 10:41:54 AM
It's a rather odd use of language to refer to military combatants in a war as the "victims" of the war.  There are some circumstances where that might make sense, but not typically.  That is not to say that the soldiers or combatants do not suffer, obviously they do - and our culture honors, commemorates and respects that suffering.

"Victims" of a war typically refers to civilians harmed by the war, i.e. non-combatants.  And HC is probably right that historically the brunt of that falls disproportionately on women and their children.

So, the WW2 was virtually a victimless war from the US and the UK perspective?

I guess you don't care at all about what Hillary actually said. She noted how women can be victims which extends beyond being killed.

Valmy said:

QuoteWell they do tend to get raped, killed, sold into slavery, starved, and bombed when the war is close to home.  Just losing your male buddies/relatives/partners means you got off comparatively lightly.

So operating from that perspective, US women do not fit any of the cathegories (at least in any substantial numbers) - UK women the "being bombed" part, but so do in equal UK men who were not soldiers.

And if you think that you are a victim because your husband was killed (and this makes you more of a victim than he was) then you are insanely callous.

Okay, I'll go back to what had been a good plan. Skipping past your posts in this thread - so apologies if I don't reply.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on June 07, 2016, 11:13:16 AM

You don't think losing a husband, son, brother, or other loved one to war makes someone a victim of that war?

WTF? Do you understand what the word "victim" means?

At least, as Minsky has shown, one can argue that a combatant isn't a victim, since they were actually involved, but how do you possible argue that having a son killed in war doesn't make someone a victim of that war, much less a husband who you might have been counting on for support?

Fuck, the level if doublethink necessary to conclude that she is somehow slighting men because she is recognizing that women are harmed by war and violence is just amazing.

0 rows returned

Valmy

Twisting whatever the other team says or does as pure evil is what politics is all about these days. At least internet politics...which sadly is politics making us all the real victims. :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 07, 2016, 11:24:13 AM
Twisting whatever the other team says or does as pure evil is what politics is all about these days. At least internet politics...which sadly is politics making us all the real victims. :lol:

In this election, I guess we are all Primary victims.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Zanza

Or those of the 352th Infantry division that tried to defend the Atlantikwall against a foreign invasion?  :P

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Admiral Yi

CNN says some Republican officeholders have started to withdraw their support from Trump over the Curiel comment.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 07, 2016, 05:37:15 PM
CNN says some Republican officeholders have started to withdraw their support from Trump over the Curiel comment.

It is probably hard for those who have their seats up for a vote to keep on with someone than many prominent Republicans are castigating for racist comments.