News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

[Marti] All those German women that got raped by Russian troops had it coming.  The poor dying SS soldiers were the true victims [/Marti]
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on June 07, 2016, 10:25:20 AM
Indeed - and what she did NOT say is that women suffer more than men from war, despite you insisting that she did say just that.

She made a direct implication to that effect.  If women are the *primary* victims of war, men must be the secondary victims.  Unless you think women and men are both primary, in which case primary carries zero meaning and should not be used.

QuoteThe point she never made is that men don't suffer,
Never claimed she did.

Quoteare not victims,

Never said that, either.

Quoteor that either men or women have some kind of trump card of suffering over the other one.

Okay now that she did say.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 07, 2016, 10:30:50 AM
[Marti] All those German women that got raped by Russian troops had it coming.  The poor dying SS soldiers were the true victims [/Marti]

Wow.  :lol:

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on June 07, 2016, 10:29:19 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 07, 2016, 10:25:49 AM
QuoteWTF is a women card holder?

The woman card thing is a reference to a reference to a reference. It is a tower of memes.

Somebody said Clinton was playing the woman card. So Clinton's campaign made ironic woman cards. So now all of us who support Clinton are woman card holders.

Well, as long as it is clear their hysterical obsession with her gender is not about gender, it is all good.

Here's a link to order yours.  Only $5.  While supplies last, though I tested out the max. quantity and apparently it will let you add 1,000,000 to your cart.

https://shop.hillaryclinton.com/products/the-woman-card
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

frunk

Quote from: derspiess on June 07, 2016, 10:33:51 AM
Quoteor that either men or women have some kind of trump card of suffering over the other one.

Okay now that she did say.

No she didn't.  Being a victim isn't the same as suffering.  You can suffer without being a victim, and you can be a victim without suffering.

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on June 07, 2016, 10:37:46 AM
No she didn't.  Being a victim isn't the same as suffering.  You can suffer without being a victim, and you can be a victim without suffering.

Yeah that is the only context that makes sense. That men, as primarily participants, are not primarily victims.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

It's a rather odd use of language to refer to military combatants in a war as the "victims" of the war.  There are some circumstances where that might make sense, but not typically.  That is not to say that the soldiers or combatants do not suffer, obviously they do - and our culture honors, commemorates and respects that suffering.

"Victims" of a war typically refers to civilians harmed by the war, i.e. non-combatants.  And HC is probably right that historically the brunt of that falls disproportionately on women and their children.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 07, 2016, 10:43:57 AM
Wow.

Wow.

I find it amusing you are so desperate to be classified as a victim. 21st century culture man. I guess there is no higher honor than to be included in the glorious ranks of the oppressed and victimized.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Personally I suspect that a GI who gave his life defending his country from fascism wouldn't care much to be characterized as a "victim" of the war, as if he were some chump sent off to die.  I imagine some people might be insulted by that terminology. 
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 07, 2016, 10:41:54 AM
It's a rather odd use of language to refer to military combatants in a war as the "victims" of the war.  There are some circumstances where that might make sense, but not typically.  That is not to say that the soldiers or combatants do not suffer, obviously they do - and our culture honors, commemorates and respects that suffering.

"Victims" of a war typically refers to civilians harmed by the war, i.e. non-combatants.  And HC is probably right that historically the brunt of that falls disproportionately on women and their children.

So, the WW2 was virtually a victimless war from the US and the UK perspective?

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on June 07, 2016, 10:51:41 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 07, 2016, 10:41:54 AM

I guess you don't care at all about what Hillary actually said. She noted how women can be victims which extends beyond being killed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on June 07, 2016, 10:51:41 AM

No clearly the POWs that were horribly treated particularly in the Japanese theater were victims in the common sense of the word.  The British also suffered the Blitz, and IMO the US soldiers killed in the PH attack are one of the particular contexts where the use of that word makes sense as it was a surprise attack made in peacetime. 

But to say the regular Tommy or GI who died fighting was a "victim" seems IMO rather insulting and a denial of the meaning of what they were doing.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Let's put it this way:

"During WW2 16 million Americans served in WW2.  Of that number, 300,000 were victimized by Axis forces."

OR

""During WW2 16 million Americans served in WW2.  Of that number, 300,000 gave their lives while fighting Axis forces."

Which of those sounds right to you?
--Joan Robinson