News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 10, 2016, 04:12:47 PM
And I will certainly suck it up and vote for Bernie if I have to. He may have ideas I loathe but at least he is an experienced statesmen.

Man you have slid hard to the left.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maximus

Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2016, 04:34:48 PM
Man you have slid hard to the left.
:yeahright: He's gone about as conservative as it's possible to go in this election.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2016, 03:17:56 PM
Max's argument is not totally without merit.  If you're trying to minimize your chances of catastrophe, and Bernie has a better chance of beating Trump, then Bernie would be the better choice.

The other required assumption is that a Trump-Sanders race doesn't draw in a significant third party candidate, which could easily happen in the counterfactual world. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on May 10, 2016, 04:08:17 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 10, 2016, 03:58:24 PM

Well yeah you guys are basically attacking her as a monster while Clinton has not really gone after Sanders since she needs his supporters in the general.
"You guys"?

And the rest of that has certainly not been true in my experience.

Clinton would be a fine president and if she gets the nomination I will vote for her. To paraphrase someone, she the best candidate for the system we have, just not for the system we want. She's certainly very capable, as evidenced by the machine she has spent her career building. That's great if you like a machine-based system.

Man, the press and Hillary Clinton has been really soft on Bernie.  If he was in the general, He'd take a lot of shit from history.  For instance, calling for solidarity with the Iranian revolution in 1979, while the US embassy staff was being held hostage, or his membership in a Trotskiest political party.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 10, 2016, 06:10:21 PM
Man, the press and Hillary Clinton has been really soft on Bernie.  If he was in the general, He'd take a lot of shit from history.  For instance, calling for solidarity with the Iranian revolution in 1979, while the US embassy staff was being held hostage, or his membership in a Trotskiest political party.

BS.  That party was the 2nd or 3rd Trotskiest.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2016, 01:58:19 PM
Rick Perry said something like The Donald's idea to default on the US debt, crash the global economy, end civilization as we know it, and send Boner bolting for his bunker is "worth discussing."

:blink:

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2016, 06:13:50 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 10, 2016, 06:10:21 PM

BS.  That party was the 2nd or 3rd Trotskiest.

:lol:

There were also some bits about the sexuality of children that might have played differently in the 70s when he said them than they do today.

Clinton has been a target of the Republican PR machine for 20+ years. There's not a lot more dirt to be dug out, I expect, and what new stuff they might unearth will easily be filed under "more of this" (whether you're inclined to like or dislike her). For Sanders, he hasn't been the target of significant opposition research and messaging from the GOP side, and that could potentially shave off a few percentage points.

jimmy olsen

Ted Cruz...such a fucking drama queen. Almost as bad as Cruz in his own way.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/05/10/west_virginia_nebraska_primaries_preview.html
West Virginia was always going to be one of Donald Trump's best states given his strength in Appalachia. He is even more likely to win West Virginia now that his Republican rivals have all suspended their campaigns ...

... but only so they could later unsuspend them??

Sen. Ted Cruz was always favored to win the Nebraska primary. He cleans up in the Great Plains. Even though he suspended his campaign a week ago, his name is still on the Nebraska ballot. If he somehow manages to win Nebraska, could Lyin' Ted's suspension of his campaign prove to have been his greatest lie of all? Cruz is bizarrely not ruling out the possibility:

Cruz, who suspended his White House run last week, said he does not expect to win Nebraska's primary but is leaving the door open.

"We launched this campaign intending to win. The reason we suspended our campaign was that with the Indiana loss, I felt there was no path to victory," he said Tuesday on conservative host Glenn Beck's radio program.

"If that changes, we will certainly respond accordingly."

Right. Even if Cruz did take Nebraska, that win was already factored into everyone's math last week, and everyone's math—including his own!—showed that he was cooked. So I don't know what the hell he is talking about. He held the interview on his way to the airport, where he was about to fly back to Washington, D.C. and his lousy job in the lousy Senate where everyone hates his lousy guts. Whatever he has to do to get his mind off of that, I guess.   
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Also, WV called for Trump. He has 68.8% with 1% returns.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2016, 01:58:19 PM
Rick Perry said something like The Donald's idea to default on the US debt, crash the global economy, end civilization as we know it, and send Boner bolting for his bunker is "worth discussing."

I don't have a bunker. Yet.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Thanks to whomever pinned this thread.  Took me a few minutes to find it.

Annnywho, Bernie wins WV :lol:  Manchin seems to have put all his eggs in the Clinton basket, hoping for an appointment in Shrillary's administration.  If she doesn't win, he may not get re-elected to the Senate in 2018.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2016, 08:11:55 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 10, 2016, 07:24:08 PM
:blink:

Rick Perry is a retard.

He was the governor of Texas for quite some time, not some random guy on the street.  I would have expected that he is smarter than that.  We are not talking about "if raising taxes is good", which is always debatable.  We are talking about if the US should default.  That's firmly in crazy territory.  It is like asking if it is a good idea to launch a nuclear missle at Moscow unprovoked. 

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2016, 09:13:35 PM
Thanks to whomever pinned this thread.  Took me a few minutes to find it.

Annnywho, Bernie wins WV :lol:  Manchin seems to have put all his eggs in the Clinton basket, hoping for an appointment in Shrillary's administration.  If she doesn't win, he may not get re-elected to the Senate in 2018.
The amazing thing about this nickname is that it's as clever for the thousandth time as it was the first time.  :thumbsup: