News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trevor-noah-takes-hillary-clinton-145000977.html?nhp=1

QuoteTrevor Noah Takes Hillary Clinton to Task for "Colored People Time" Joke

Delivering a controversial, racist joke is never a good idea, but it's even worse when you do it in the national spotlight, and what's more, in the middle of a presidential campaign. That's the lesson former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton learned Saturday, when she and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio made an ill-advised joke about "CP time," short for "colored people time," a nod to the overly generalized, offensive stereotype that people of color are consistently late for things.

Clinton's taken understandable heat for participating in the gag, and Trevor Noah said Tuesday on The Daily Show just how stupid the skit was. Namely, because Clinton's popularity with the minority vote is giving her a slight edge over Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders.

"Why would you do this, Hillary?" Noah said. "This should be so easy. Just don't say the things that will lose you the votes ... That's like if the governor of Michigan was going around Flint telling water jokes: 'I'll have a Mountain Dew, I'm trying to stay healthy.'"

Though Noah concludes that Clinton and De Blasio likely aren't racist, he notes they "got too comfortable," in part, because they delivered the joke next to Hamilton star Leslie Odom Jr. However, if the notion was confusing to white people, Noah said it in a way we might understand — with a SeaWorld analogy, the bane of our vacation plans.

"Let me explain this in a way white people will understand," Noah said. "Race jokes are kind of like orcas. Powerful and entertaining, but you put them on display in the wrong environment, and people are going to get hurt. And the joke might die."

I'm assuming this goes in the 'never make a joke about race if you are white' category. I don't think I personally know a black person who hasn't made a CP time joke.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 13, 2016, 05:07:58 PM
Is CP time similar to island time?

I've always heard it as either "Indian time" or "Yukon time".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Barrister on April 13, 2016, 05:10:57 PM

:hmm: Can they be as laid back as caribbean islanders?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 13, 2016, 05:14:21 PM

I didn't think it meant "laid back" as just "late for fucking everything".  In which case yes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2016, 12:00:59 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 13, 2016, 11:53:28 AM

Valmy's feeling the Bern.  :showoff:

That is as close to an endorsement of that snake oil salesman I am going to be making :P

Oh, I think the man is earnest, I just don't think he knows what he is talking about most of the time.  I read this article today, which highlights the differences between the candidates on the subject.  http://www.vox.com/2016/4/13/11415772/clinton-sanders-daily-news

Incidentally, I believe Cruz is earnest as well, and I thin he has a good idea how to do what he wants.  I think what he wants is bad and won't work in real life, but I think a good idea of what actions are required to effect his vision.  On the other hand, I don't think Trump is earnest or knows what the hell he is talking about.  He kind of reminds me of Netanyahu during his last election he made a promise that the two state solution was off the table right before the election, and the day after backtracked.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

lustindarkness

Quote from: Barrister on April 13, 2016, 05:15:34 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on April 13, 2016, 05:14:21 PM

I didn't think it meant "laid back" as just "late for fucking everything".  In which case yes.

If you are laid back enough you don't care if you are on time or not (and you are late to everything).
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

See I dropped a CP time reference yesterday and nobody said anything.  I'm genuinely surprised people did not just give Hillary and de Blasio a pass.  I mean, they're not Republicans.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on April 13, 2016, 03:48:21 PM
Quote from: Zanza on April 13, 2016, 03:44:19 PM
Has there ever been an attempt to replace all those arcane rules and processes with a simple system that just counts who gets the most votes?

That wouldn't be very fair or reasonable. Some states you can vote weeks in advance, some states you have to vote on election day, some states you have to show up to a caucus to vote, some states you have to show up to a convention.

And some states go "wee, wee, wee" all the way home.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 13, 2016, 04:42:42 PM
Quote from: Zanza on April 13, 2016, 04:34:11 PM
Just imagine the circus if one of the conventions goes to a hundred rounds... CNN would melt down. I must say the way Americans structure their drawn out elections makes for much better entertainment than those of other countries. Not sure if they are more representative though.

Much more representative IMO than Westminster style nominations.

Why?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 13, 2016, 07:53:33 PM
See I dropped a CP time reference yesterday and nobody said anything.  I'm genuinely surprised people did not just give Hillary and de Blasio a pass.  I mean, they're not Republicans.

It's not a term in common use.  In fact, I don't think I've heard it since maybe the mid-80's.

It's a stupid term.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on April 13, 2016, 08:02:38 PM
Why?

Because anyone can vote, anyone can run, you don't have to pay a membership, and unions don't get disproportionate power.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 13, 2016, 08:10:33 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 13, 2016, 07:53:33 PM

It's not a term in common use.  In fact, I don't think I've heard it since maybe the mid-80's.

It's a stupid term.

I've never heard a white person use it (til just recently), but practically all the black folks I've ever worked with have used it-- all but one of them said it jokingly.  I swear the one dude tried to use it as an actual excuse.

Agree it's a stupid term.  I'd also like to see the n-word go away, but that also seems here to stay.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

LaCroix

is the term "see-pee time" or "colored person time"? I don't think I've ever heard either.

Quote from: derspiess on April 13, 2016, 08:16:59 PMI'd also like to see the n-word go away, but that also seems here to stay.

god, I hope so. in some circles, it's commonly used (not for hateful purposes!)

derspiess

Quote from: LaCroix on April 13, 2016, 08:32:46 PM
is the term "see-pee time" or "colored person time"? I don't think I've ever heard either.

CP time.  You never say "colored person time" unless you have to explain it to someone. 

god, I hope so. in some circles, it's commonly used (not for hateful purposes!)

:huh:  I guess that's a Millennial thing.