Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 12, 2016, 10:36:36 AM
Edit: "I hope Lettow has children?" You realize I have a son, right? :unsure:

Nope. Congrats! Japan needs him.

The ironic thing about your post Lettow is that southerners are the only region of the country to identify themselves as 'Americans' ethnically in large numbers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Lettow77

I know it. It's especially prevalent in the intermountain South, which has always been more ambivalent about their duties to the sacred Southern nation.

I support Trump with every hope the nomination will be stolen from him- I'd like to see the GOP greatly discredited in the South, and the region isolated and disaffected from either party. Consistent neglect and misrule may cure the South of its misplaced affections.  If not, the country is set to become increasingly nonwhite and culturally fractured; Where successive administrations hostile to the South have failed, that nation's infamous racism and prejudice may serve to isolate it into the future.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

lustindarkness

Wait what? Are you people saying Kasich, a presidential candidate in this election has common sense?! Say it ain't so!
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Malthus

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 12, 2016, 10:48:18 AM
Wait what? Are you people saying Kasich, a presidential candidate in this election has common sense?! Say it ain't so!

Notice he's losing.  ;)

It's like Adlai Stevenson (allegedly!) said to someone who told him "you have the vote of every thinking American":

"That's not enough, madam, we need a majority!"
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 12, 2016, 10:48:18 AM

If it makes you feel any better, he did ask his local Blockbuster to take Fargo off the shelf because it was "too graphic".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on April 12, 2016, 09:28:10 AM
Kasich: 'I'm a Traditional Marriage Guy,' But SCOTUS Ruled, 'Let's Move On,' 'What the
Kasich responded, "I think if you're a photographer, okay, and you are deep Christian and you object to going to a gay wedding, okay. So somebody comes in, and they say, 'Okay, we want you to be our photographer,' photographer says, you know, 'I'd really not be comfortable doing that.' If I were trying to arrange a gay wedding, I might go down the street to another photographer. Why do I need to raise all this cane about this? and frankly, if I'm selling cupcakes, why don't I just sell a cupcake? That's what I do in commerce. It gets to be a tricky thing about how much you involve somebody against some deeply held belief. But most of the time, I think we can accommodate one another, don't you?"

To break the Kasich love fest, he has responded with something of a straw man. The purported reason for the "religious liberty" laws is that the photographer is, under some interpretation of current law in at least some states, obligated to photograph the wedding. So basically he is asked about some controversial laws, is like, "nah, lets just have a world like x,y,z without such nonsense", but to get to such a world new laws would need to be in place.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

No, what he is saying is not at all a strawman.

He is saying there is no such need for any of these laws - in fact, if people just fucking acted like adults to each other, we could avoid all of this...and he is right.

He is saying that it is a dangerous area to get into - the state making laws demanding that people do or do not take some positive action, and that people on BOTH sides are being kind of children about it.

If you ask a photographer to photograph your wedding, and that would clearly require him to GO TO that wedding, and they don't want to...so what. Go find another photographer. Don't be a jackass about it.

And if you sell cupcakes, and you suspect the person buying them might be gay - so what. You are selling cupcakes. Don't be a jackass about it.

The only reason the state gets involved is because people are acting like children about these things, and the reality is that reasonable people acting reasonably can resolve all of these situations without the need for stupid new laws.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on April 12, 2016, 12:21:59 PM

He is saying there is no such need for any of these laws - in fact, if people just fucking acted like adults to each other, we could avoid all of this...and he is right.

He is saying that it is a dangerous area to get into - the state making laws demanding that people do or do not take some positive action, and that people on BOTH sides are being kind of children about it.

If you ask a photographer to photograph your wedding, and that would clearly require him to GO TO that wedding, and they don't want to...so what. Go find another photographer. Don't be a jackass about it.

And if you sell cupcakes, and you suspect the person buying them might be gay - so what. You are selling cupcakes. Don't be a jackass about it.

The only reason the state gets involved is because people are acting like children about these things, and the reality is that reasonable people acting reasonably can resolve all of these situations without the need for stupid new laws.

But the law (in places) apparently already says they need to go to the wedding. The law exists. It is a part of civil rights law which was passed for a good reason, but that is neither here nor there. If Kasich wants to get to his ideal state, he needs to repeal that law in whole or part, or alternatively pass a law with a positive exemption covering the case in question.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

Yeah, Kasich is not saying that only the "pro-religion" side is unreasonable - the "pro-progress" side can be unreasonable as well - and that works in a lot of things. People just love to have their little crusades to fight and they often essentially go out of their way to prove the point. It's same for the gays who go out of their way to have a Christian pizza place cater to their "renewal of vows", atheists who want a local school to take down a Christmas creche, or Christians who suddenly feel that whether a person going into a bathroom has a dick or not is the matter of primary national concern.

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on April 12, 2016, 12:27:20 PM

But the law (in places) apparently already says they need to go to the wedding. The law exists. It is a part of civil rights law which was passed for a good reason, but that is neither here nor there. If Kasich wants to get to his ideal state, he needs to repeal that law in whole or part, or alternatively pass a law with a positive exemption covering the case in question.

Well, no disagreement there.

Martinus

Incidentally, there are now apparently calls for a Trump/Cruz ticket. While I find it unlikely (these two have too big egos), the faces of the GOP establishment would be hilarious to watch after that.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on April 12, 2016, 10:30:05 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 12, 2016, 10:23:02 AM
Love those quotes from Kasich. Victimless moral disagreements should never be written in the law of the land, and that doesn't mean you are forced to disown your beliefs.

Indeed.

I think if Kasich came out with the nomination, I would actually break my vow to not vote for any Republican on principle this cycle.
And get another Scalia on the bench?  :hmm:

Razgovory

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 12, 2016, 10:36:36 AM
Edit: "I hope Lettow has children?" You realize I have a son, right? :unsure:

You should really post baby pictures.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Wow, for once you're right on something ;)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

See? Donald Trump brought us all together. It's magic. :D