Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on March 30, 2016, 10:13:28 PM
A brokered convention would give the nomination to a new candidate, not the distant second place guy nobody likes.

Thing is, the fact remains that so many Trump delegates are first-timers to the political process, and many of them actually believe that a political party's primary system is a democratic exercise, lol--and if things go all closed-door/smoke-filled-room party power politics on them in Cleveland, then look the fuck out because these mouthbreathers are going to lose their shit.

Think Paul's people made things difficult for Mittens last time, watch these fruitcakes.  Cleveland will burn for the first time since the Cuyahoga spontaneously combusted.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 30, 2016, 10:26:51 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on March 30, 2016, 10:13:28 PM
A brokered convention would give the nomination to a new candidate, not the distant second place guy nobody likes.

Thing is, the fact remains that so many Trump delegates are first-timers to the political process, and many of them actually believe that a political party's primary system is a democratic exercise, lol--and if things go all closed-door/smoke-filled-room party power politics on them in Cleveland, then look the fuck out because these mouthbreathers are going to lose their shit.

Think Paul's people made things difficult for Mittens last time, watch these fruitcakes.  Cleveland will burn for the first time since the Cuyahoga spontaneously combusted.

It will be pandemonium.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Monoriu

Of course I am not familiar with US politics enough to know what happens in a brokered convention.  But it seems to me that there will be political consequences and problems if the convention chooses a candidate who received zero or very few votes in the entire primary process, over people who received millions of votes. 

Jaron

Best order:

Hillary > Trump > Cruz > Sanders

Winner of THE grumbler point.

MadImmortalMan

NV GOP literally had to reinvent its own rules after Paul's people somehow hijacked the state convention after Mitt won the state.

I wonder what will come of this. One of the jobs of the convention delegates is to write the rules for the next election. One of the rules they wrote was something like the nominee had to have won the majority of delegates in eight states. This was Ron Paul prevention. Now it's shut out all the good candidates.

Dems got rid of all the winner take all states and as a result, Bernie can't make a real challenge. Same issue holds there as well. They will be inclined to rewrite the rules so it's different next time.

...Which of course could backfire Trump-style.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: Jaron on March 30, 2016, 10:58:59 PM
Best order:

You are just randomly arranging names at this point.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Monoriu on March 30, 2016, 10:38:32 PM
Of course I am not familiar with US politics enough to know what happens in a brokered convention.  But it seems to me that there will be political consequences and problems if the convention chooses a candidate who received zero or very few votes in the entire primary process, over people who received millions of votes.

This coming from the guy that accepts the subversion of democracy with enthusiasm in his own homeland.  :hmm:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 30, 2016, 11:07:12 PM
NV GOP literally had to reinvent its own rules after Paul's people somehow hijacked the state convention after Mitt won the state.

I wonder what will come of this. One of the jobs of the convention delegates is to write the rules for the next election. One of the rules they wrote was something like the nominee had to have won the majority of delegates in eight states. This was Ron Paul prevention. Now it's shut out all the good candidates.

Dems got rid of all the winner take all states and as a result, Bernie can't make a real challenge. Same issue holds there as well. They will be inclined to rewrite the rules so it's different next time.

I'm not too sure;  you see what Cruz is doing down in Louisiana. There is where Trump and his people are going to show their inexperience in the party process; despite all his bullshit in spending so much time alienating his own party, Cruz knows the inside game.

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 30, 2016, 11:07:12 PM

If they rewrote the rules before the last convention, it shouldn't be a problem to do so again.

"Now it's shut out all the good candidates."

What has shut out all the good candidates is that bad candidates have won all the states (save one or two).

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on March 30, 2016, 10:58:59 PM
Best order:

Sanders > Kasich > Clinton > Cruz > Trump > Romney
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Webb > rappels from a Huey clenching a knife between his teeth, kills everybody

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 30, 2016, 11:20:21 PM
Webb > rappels from a Huey clenching a knife between his teeth, kills everybody

He got one good stab at Cruz, but then he ran out of time.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: alfred russel on March 30, 2016, 11:15:43 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 30, 2016, 10:38:32 PM

This coming from the guy that accepts the subversion of democracy with enthusiasm in his own homeland.  :hmm:

I am just giving my assessment of what is going to happen if the Republicans choose losers over winners in the Convention, civil servant style.  My own beliefs have nothing to do with it.  Besides, I don't understand what you mean by "accept the subversion of democracy".  Do you accept the laws of physics, or that the Earth rotates around the Sun?  I can go on but that's for another thread.

Martinus

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 30, 2016, 04:33:46 PM
All the dems have to do in the general is play the clip of Trump saying women should be punished for having abortions over and over again on loop and it'll be a bloodbath.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

The GOP needs to be on its knees praying every night that Trump doesn't become the nominee. It might be necessary to destroy the party in order to save it, Colonel.

Phew, after all these months of Trump playing it safe and never saying anything remotely controversial that could alienate voters, he finally lets his guards down and slips something that will make him lose. And people were worrying how to stop him.  :rolleyes: