News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Meh, she doesn't actually say what the headline suggests. She just hates Clinton.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on March 29, 2016, 12:04:14 PM

QuoteI don't know anything about David Duke, okay, I don't know anything about what you're even talking about with white supremacy or white supremacists. I don't know, did he endorse me? Or what's going on. Because I know nothing about David Duke. I know nothing about white supremacists.

if he didn't know anything about Duke or the KKK, how did he know they were white supremacists?

If I were to give Trump the benefit of the doubt for one second (based on his later explanation on not hearing the question clearly)...I could understand reading/hearing that more as not understanding or knowing what it was exactly that DD and white supremacists had done (that is, endorsing DT), vs. simply not know what they are.

Still, I agree, it comes off as an unflattering gaffe, but I think it is  very unfair to turn it around into "Trump is a racist bigot who supports David Duke and the KKK".

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 29, 2016, 02:36:38 PM
How could anyone hate Susan Sarandon?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0DeIqJm4vM

I like her work quite a bit. I just hate when she starts babbling on about political matters.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

It's easy to hate on celebrity political opinions...after all, their opinions are as legitimate as the average Languishite's.  :P

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 29, 2016, 02:53:57 PM
It's easy to hate on celebrity political opinions...after all, they're opinions are as legitimate as the average Languishite's.  :P

Exactly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 29, 2016, 02:49:35 PM

QuoteI don't know anything about David Duke, okay, I don't know anything about what you're even talking about with white supremacy or white supremacists. I don't know, did he endorse me? Or what's going on. Because I know nothing about David Duke. I know nothing about white supremacists.

if he didn't know anything about Duke or the KKK, how did he know they were white supremacists?

If I were to give Trump the benefit of the doubt for one second (based on his later explanation on not hearing the question clearly)...I could understand reading/hearing that more as not understanding or knowing what it was exactly that DD and white supremacists had done (that is, endorsing DT), vs. simply not know what they are.

Still, I agree, it comes off as an unflattering gaffe, but I think it is  very unfair to turn it around into "Trump is a racist bigot who supports David Duke and the KKK".

I don't think Trump is a white supremacist.

BUt I think he very clearly flirts with white supremacists, as seen by his refusal (initially, he did so later) to voice his disapproval of their endorsement.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Whether he is or is not a racist is IMO doesn't really matter.  What matters is he is marketing to racists by appealing to their prejudices.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

But in reality he obfuscated, and then some time later offered a rather soft denunciation. But the message that was received by David Duke and white supremacists was that he is cool with them, and as david duke responded to his denunciation, "say what you have to say to get elected."

There are white supremacist groups showing up to his rallies, campaigning for him, and even making robo calls. I understand that on white supremacist websites he is all the rage. If he wants to make clear he does not support their cause, it would not be hard to take 10 minutes out of the avalanche of media he gets to offer a blistering commentary of why he thinks white supremacists are degenerates and wants nothing to do with them or their support.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Legbiter

Quote from: Barrister on March 29, 2016, 02:59:18 PMI don't think Trump is a white supremacist.

BUt I think he very clearly flirts with white supremacists, as seen by his refusal (initially, he did so later) to voice his disapproval of their endorsement.

My take it's more of not ceding the frame to the press, and jumping through their hoops. Also we're all "well-thinking" Hillaryfags here apparently so not exactly Trump's primary persuasion demographic.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on March 29, 2016, 03:07:01 PM
Also we're all "well-thinking" Hillaryfags here apparently so not exactly Trump's primary persuasion demographic.  :hmm:

If only. Sanders won the Languish poll :angry:

garbon

Hillaryfags

So clever. Love how you took 'Hillary' and then attached 'fags' to it. What a man!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on March 29, 2016, 02:59:18 PM

I don't think Trump is a white supremacist.

I also think it us unfair to categorize his actions as "flirting with", or that he is "cool with" them...as both imply deliberate intent without any real proof.  Collateral damage, sure.

Legbiter

Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2016, 03:10:08 PM
Also we're all "well-thinking" Hillaryfags here apparently so not exactly Trump's primary persuasion demographic.  :hmm:

If only. Sanders won the Languish poll :angry:

I've said it before but Trump vs. Sanders would be great.  :lol:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 29, 2016, 03:01:16 PM
Whether he is or is not a racist is IMO doesn't really matter.  What matters is he is marketing to racists by appealing to their prejudices.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.