2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Jaron on March 29, 2016, 12:14:25 PM
Quote from: frunk on March 29, 2016, 12:12:55 PM
Quote from: Jaron on March 29, 2016, 12:08:28 PM
Really, Valmy? A few?

The people who have it good in Mexico aren't leaving. The people predominately coming over are poor working class people. And poor people tend to be more criminally inclined. It isn't racist, it's just fact regarding the poor. They're not well educated people. Not well cultured. They're people looking to make ends meet..and if that means they need to break the law then so be it. Sure, many are hard working and honest. A good number of them I think will get jobs in the US, save up money / send it back to Mexico and then return to Mexico and build a home or something. but...

The reverse would be if we sent all of our trailer trash / red necks to Mexico. They'd be complaining about their meth and gun problem in no time.

Except that if I was a criminal and I wanted to commit crime I'd much rather be in Mexico than in the US.  If I was criminal in Mexico I definitely wouldn't travel to somewhere with a stronger police system.

You would if the value of what you steal is greater.

Americans have better sunglasses.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 29, 2016, 12:03:24 PM
Google search says that the writer is student body president. Even if it was the admin, I also wouldn't be surprised if they acted in line with what sensitive students want.

Ok if a Republican student demanded a person who wrote #feelthebern get tracked down and delt with by campus security that would be ok then? Can we just manipulate the Universities to attack our political opponents now? Because last I checked people had freedom of association in this country. Now maybe that white board was not intended to have people express themselves on it so perhaps they could get this person for trespassing in some kind of way.

But simply attacking and condemning everybody who has unpopular political beliefs is not inclusive.

'Oh you support the other party and expressed it on a publicly available forum? POLICE!'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ancient Demon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 29, 2016, 12:55:02 PM
Quote from: Ancient Demon on March 29, 2016, 12:47:44 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 29, 2016, 11:45:46 AM
Quote from: Ancient Demon on March 29, 2016, 11:12:24 AM
Still nobody has pointed out what Trump has said or did that was actually racist (and no, I don't believe in "dog whistles").

Well how about the time when he was asked about having been endorsed by David Duke and the KKK and he replied with "I don't know anything about white supremacists I'll have to get back to you".

So that should be seen as Trump accepting Duke's endorsement?

It is saying he doesn't have a problem with racists.

Is it? I think you're overreaching there.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Martinus

This is the exact quote from Trump on "Mexicans are rapists":

Quote"When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you (pointing to the audience). They're not sending you (pointing again). They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems to us. They're bringing drugs.They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people! But I speak to border guards and they tell us what we're getting. And it only makes common sense. They're sending us not the right people. It's coming from more than Mexico. It's coming from all over South and Latin America, and it's coming probably from the Middle East. But we don't know. Because we have no protection and we have no competence, we don't know what's happening. And it's got to stop and it's got to stop fast."

I think a lot of posters here are substantially misrepresenting that quote.

I mean, you may disagree with this characterisation (although, quite interestingly, it appears that a lot of nations that have a lot of emigrants actually often think that the worst people emigrate to other countries) but you have to be really ignorant or dishonest to see anything racist in that quote.

Razgovory

When Trump says that "Mexico is not sending their best" and then points to his own audience and says they aren't sending you, he fatally undermines himself.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

I think you have to be blind to not see the overt appeal to racism in that quote.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Beyond the openly racist appeal, there is the bizarre premise that the Mexican government is running an emigration program where they select the specific people to cross the border to America.  That aspect may not be racist but it is 100% wacko.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 29, 2016, 01:55:43 PM
Beyond the openly racist appeal, there is the bizarre premise that the Mexican government is running an emigration program where they select the specific people to cross the border to America.  That aspect may not be racist but it is 100% wacko.

Finally, Mexico has answered the Zimmerman Telegram!  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Ancient Demon on March 29, 2016, 12:47:44 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 29, 2016, 11:45:46 AM
Quote from: Ancient Demon on March 29, 2016, 11:12:24 AM
Still nobody has pointed out what Trump has said or did that was actually racist (and no, I don't believe in "dog whistles").

Well how about the time when he was asked about having been endorsed by David Duke and the KKK and he replied with "I don't know anything about white supremacists I'll have to get back to you".

So that should be seen as Trump accepting Duke's endorsement?

Well she died today, it's sort of a moot point.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 29, 2016, 01:55:43 PM

Well yeah there is that also :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Valmy

God Damn. Even when I am on the Democrat's side I still am made to hate Susan Sarandon.

Martinus

I love her no matter my political stance. :D

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 29, 2016, 02:32:58 PM
I love her no matter my political stance. :D

She is a freaking idiot. Actors are the worst in politics...yes I said it Zombie Reagan.