News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancient Demon

Still nobody has pointed out what Trump has said or did that was actually racist (and no, I don't believe in "dog whistles").
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Jaron

Trump just has racist followers. Not all of them, of course, but some of them. And people use this as a means to attack Trump.

Of course, Sanders followers are just as bad. I can't begin to count how often I've heard the line. "I can't believe black people support Hillary over Sanders. Don't they know Sanders marched for their rights?"

Translation: "Sanders bought and paid for these niggers. Why aren't they voting like we want them to?"
Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2016, 09:59:29 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 29, 2016, 09:23:24 AM
Hey Trump set himself as the King of Racists - so not surprising that people consider using his name as akin to a racist remark.

Ok I get Trump says some out of control shit but come on. Is supporting the leading Republican candidate for President something that destroys an inclusive community? I mean an inclusive community that bans all Republicans as racists does not seem very inclusive. Which is why I have a hard time believing this crap is real. I mean I went to two pretty left wing Universities and this would never have happened.

I mean what if somebody supports Trump for his populist anti-exporting jobs statements? Is that racist? Is it fair to just assume every single Republican who supports Trump is such a racist they should be banned from campus without even having a discussion about it?

I don't think these college students are right but I'm also not going to be bent out of shape by college students being sensitive.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 29, 2016, 11:16:05 AM
I don't think these college students are right but I'm also not going to be bent out of shape by college students being sensitive.

Oh was that a student? I thought it was the administration. 'Our students' and so forth and the promise that campus security was going to track down and punish this person.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

All the "they are sending in their rapists, etc..." comments from Trump regarding Mexicans are pretty unquestionably xenophobic.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on March 29, 2016, 11:19:16 AM
All the "they are sending in their rapists, etc..." comments from Trump regarding Mexicans are pretty unquestionably racist.

I get that. I thought the idea was that the Mexican Government was directing their criminals our way not that every single Mexican was a rapist. Either way it is populism not based on facts meant to excite the anti-immigrant crowd.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Jaron

All the "they are sending in their rapists, etc..." comments from Trump regarding Mexicans are pretty unquestionably racist.

That's not what he said though!

He said the people illegally immigrating into the US include drug dealers, criminals and rapists. But people misinterpret that as saying that all of them are rapists but that isn't what he said.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Valmy

Well I guess it is factual that a few rapists, drug dealers, and criminals have illegally crossed the border at some point.

celedhring

Quote from: Jaron on March 29, 2016, 11:22:20 AM

He said the people illegally immigrating into the US include drug dealers, criminals and rapists. But people misinterpret that as saying that all of them are rapists but that isn't what he said.

He did certainly say that the majority of Mexican immigrants are potential criminals. That's clear racism in my book. You see a brown face in the street = better avoid.

Phillip V

Quote from: Jaron on March 29, 2016, 11:22:20 AM

So people complaining about Trump's generalizations are in turn generalizing his comments and his followers.  :P

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on March 29, 2016, 11:24:08 AM

He did certainly say that the majority of Mexican immigrants are potential criminals. That's clear racism in my book. You see a brown face in the street = better avoid.

Well technically every single illegal immigrant is a criminal. Hence the illegal part.

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2016, 11:25:52 AM

Well technically every single illegal immigrant is a criminal. Hence the illegal part.

He actually didn't specify illegal immigrants when he said that. Not that it would make a difference since he linked them with violent crimes (rape, drugs).

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on March 29, 2016, 11:29:19 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2016, 11:25:52 AM

He actually didn't specify illegal immigrants when he said that. Not that it would make a difference since he linked them with violent crimes (rape, drugs).

Legal immigration is not an issue though so I am not sure why he would be talking about that. But then let me be frank: I have watched this guy speak exactly once and that was only because I was so amazed Chris Christie was introducing him. So he might indeed be saying that Mexican Immigrants are bad news period.

Barrister

Quote from: Ancient Demon on March 29, 2016, 11:12:24 AM
Still nobody has pointed out what Trump has said or did that was actually racist (and no, I don't believe in "dog whistles").

Well how about the time when he was asked about having been endorsed by David Duke and the KKK and he replied with "I don't know anything about white supremacists I'll have to get back to you".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Oh, and I don't think he's particularly racist himself, he probably doesn't give much of a crap. But that's the red meat he serves up because he's realized there's plenty of buyers.