Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Barrister

Quote from: Phillip V on March 23, 2016, 01:47:26 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 12:36:15 PM
He is a conservative Episcopalian (the part that split from the Anglican Church over gay and female priests).
I though Kasich was religiously affiliated in name only; that he has deep faith, but does not find attending organized religious functions a requirement.  He "doesn't find God in church."

Check out the Politico article I linked above.  He very regularly attends Church - and in particular the same church for almost 30 years.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on March 23, 2016, 01:50:52 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on March 23, 2016, 01:47:26 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 12:36:15 PM
He is a conservative Episcopalian (the part that split from the Anglican Church over gay and female priests).
I though Kasich was religiously affiliated in name only; that he has deep faith, but does not find attending organized religious functions a requirement.  He "doesn't find God in church."

Check out the Politico article I linked above.  He very regularly attends Church - and in particular the same church for almost 30 years.

Yup, I believe that's the article I read about him. Made me like him more.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2016, 01:46:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 23, 2016, 01:45:38 PM
Do they *have* to vote their religion every election?  I thought your side told us that was bad.

I thought your side told us character matters :P

Is his side the same as mine? :P

Eddie Teach

Do they *have* to vote their religion every election?  I thought your side told us that was bad.

That's AMC.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 01:54:35 PM

Is his side the same as mine? :P

Like peas in a pod the two of you are. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Hey grabon and I were buds in the 2008 election.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 23, 2016, 01:55:32 PM

That's AMC.

Their cars pretty much all sucked, though I wouldn't mind having an early 70s Javelin.

Quote from: MartinusI'd imagine a low key but devout Christian (such as dps) could switch from him to Cruz rather than Trump (who seems very "pagan" in his passions and virtues).

Sort of, though with Trump it's more the bigoted rhetoric and how volatile he might be in office rather than just the vulgarity that turns me completely off from him.  But yeah, if Cruz is the Republican nominee, I'd reluctantly vote for him in the general.  I've already stated several times that if it comes down to Trump or Clinton, I'm not voting for Trump.

Trump kind of reminds me of what my ex-gf said about Bill Clinton when he was President:  "The trouble is, we have white trash in the White House.  Not poor white trash, but white trash never-the-less.  I'm a social worker in southern West Virginia;  I know white trash when I see it."  If anything, Trump is trashier than Bill Clinton.

DGuller

Camerus

Quote from: derspiess on March 23, 2016, 01:34:40 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 23, 2016, 01:32:12 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 23, 2016, 11:24:40 AM
Trump also has a lot of the religious crowd.

"Religious"

There are a lot of Americans who identify themselves as "Christians".  They are culturally Christian, they may attend Church and religious oriented organizations, even identify themselves as evangelical or "born again" but not necessarily have deep religious commitments.  It is affinity more than faith.  That is where some of the Trump "Christian" vote is coming from.

Perhaps you have a better window into their souls than I do, but the ones I know are pretty deeply religious.  They know Trump isn't, but don't care.  They just want to get stuff done.

I've definitely read that the bulk of Trump's self-identified Christian supporters do not regularly attend church, whereas regular churchgoers are much more likely to dislike Trump.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on March 23, 2016, 06:02:17 PM
Trump kind of reminds me of what my ex-gf said about Bill Clinton when he was President:  "The trouble is, we have white trash in the White House.  Not poor white trash, but white trash never-the-less.  I'm a social worker in southern West Virginia;  I know white trash when I see it."  If anything, Trump is trashier than Bill Clinton.
How many Rhodes scholars has she come across during her work with white trash?

Jaron

Quote from: DGuller on March 23, 2016, 06:29:55 PM
Quote from: dps on March 23, 2016, 06:02:17 PM
How many Rhodes scholars has she come across during her work with white trash?

:face:
Winner of THE grumbler point.