And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on March 23, 2016, 12:25:39 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 23, 2016, 12:13:40 PM
Anglicans / episcopalians aren't anti-alcohol.

Very devout Episcopalians tend to be, at least here in the US.

Is that a common type though? I mean the last time I was at an Episcopalian church they read from the Koran in warm tones.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Yeah it's generally watered down.  But there are a few congregations that are more conservative.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

He is a conservative Episcopalian (the part that split from the Anglican Church over gay and female priests).

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 12:36:15 PM
He is a conservative Episcopalian (the part that split from the Anglican Church over gay and female priests).

True, but you have your labels wrong.  Episcopalian is the name for the Anglican Church in the US.  Kasich's congregation split from the Episcopalian church (which is a part of the global Anglican Church), and formed the Anglican Church in North America, which is unafiliated with the global Anglican Church.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/03/john-kasich-2016-religion-213735

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglican_Church_in_North_America
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on March 23, 2016, 11:24:40 AM
Trump also has a lot of the religious crowd.

"Religious"

There are a lot of Americans who identify themselves as "Christians".  They are culturally Christian, they may attend Church and religious oriented organizations, even identify themselves as evangelical or "born again" but not necessarily have deep religious commitments.  It is affinity more than faith.  That is where some of the Trump "Christian" vote is coming from.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 23, 2016, 01:32:12 PM

"Religious"

There are a lot of Americans who identify themselves as "Christians".  They are culturally Christian, they may attend Church and religious oriented organizations, even identify themselves as evangelical or "born again" but not necessarily have deep religious commitments.  It is affinity more than faith.  That is where some of the Trump "Christian" vote is coming from.

So that's how Bernie is "Jewish"?

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 23, 2016, 01:32:12 PM

"Religious"

Perhaps you have a better window into their souls than I do, but the ones I know are pretty deeply religious.  They know Trump isn't, but don't care.  They just want to get stuff done. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on March 23, 2016, 01:34:40 PM
  They just want to get stuff done.

The message of Jesus in a nutshell.  Just get stuff done.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Perhaps you have a better window into their souls than I do, but the ones I know are pretty deeply religious.  They know Trump isn't, but don't care.  They just want to get stuff done.

Or as Trump voters put it, "Git Er Done!"
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 23, 2016, 01:39:21 PM
  They just want to get stuff done.

The message of Jesus in a nutshell.  Just get stuff done.

Do they *have* to vote their religion every election?  I thought your side told us that was bad.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 23, 2016, 01:45:38 PM
Do they *have* to vote their religion every election?  I thought your side told us that was bad.

I thought your side told us character matters :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Phillip V

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 12:36:15 PM
I though Kasich was religiously affiliated in name only; that he has deep faith, but does not find attending organized religious functions a requirement.  He "doesn't find God in church."

The Minsky Moment

There is no lack of characters in the GOP primaries this cycle.
--Joan Robinson

Legbiter

Jeb! endorsed Cruz. I don't see how this could go wrong.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.