News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

If people have not tired of him after 30+ years I think he is alright.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Another advantage the media has given Trump is that he can phone in interviews to television shows; while his opponents must show up in person.  This is a big advantage in that the Donald can hit every morning news show in a single morning, while his opponents cannot.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on March 17, 2016, 01:40:56 PM

But he hasn't had this level of focus on him in the past.  In the US press he's a bigger story than anything.  Like I said, I was wrong, but I thought people would tire of all Trump all the time.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Martinus

I think he is just likeable. I like him. He would be a horrible president but definitely the only candidate I'd actually chat with.

frunk

Quote from: Martinus on March 17, 2016, 01:52:06 PM
I think he is just likeable. I like him. He would be a horrible president but definitely the only candidate I'd actually chat with.

I'm pretty sure that I couldn't stand to be in the same room as him for more than 10 seconds, which is probably twice as long as Cruz.  I really don't see what there is to like about him.

Berkut

No kidding. Trump is a blowhard, and comes across like the kind of guy who has to be the center of attention. He strikes me as completely unlikable, and I thought that was true before he was ever a Presidential candidate.

He seems like an asshole, really.

Cruz seems just plain creepy.

I could hang with Sanders though. I bet he is cool.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

That's silly. He was barely even a blip in the public's radar before The Apprentice(which went from 20 million viewers the first year to 6 1/2 the final season) and now he's getting more exposure than Kimye and Brangelina put together.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 17, 2016, 02:11:54 PM

That's silly. He was barely even a blip in the public's radar before The Apprentice(which went from 20 million viewers the first year to 6 1/2 the final season) and now he's getting more exposure than Kimye and Brangelina put together.

I have loathed him ever since he was inexplicably a YUGE celebrity in the 1980s. I find this so surreal.

The USFL must be avenged somehow.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Quote from: frunk on March 17, 2016, 01:58:57 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 17, 2016, 01:52:06 PM

I'm pretty sure that I couldn't stand to be in the same room as him for more than 10 seconds, which is probably twice as long as Cruz.  I really don't see what there is to like about him.

I was kinda surprised this guy likes him...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nfLjbvvpC8

Admiral Yi

There was a satire magazine in the 80's that used to always refer to The Donald as "the short fingered vulgarian."

frunk

Quote from: Berkut on March 17, 2016, 02:04:39 PM
No kidding. Trump is a blowhard, and comes across like the kind of guy who has to be the center of attention. He strikes me as completely unlikable, and I thought that was true before he was ever a Presidential candidate.

He seems like an asshole, really.

There's a New York/New Jersey brash arrogance that Trump exudes, which I'm guessing might be appealing to people that don't encounter the type on a regular basis.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 17, 2016, 02:11:54 PM

I don't know. I think he's been fairly known for quite some time. I've known of him since some point in childhood. I believe I even played a Trump boardgame.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Even as a non-American I've known him for a while, no idea how or why. Certainly longer than any of his competitors except Hillary Clinton.

DGuller

The few times I watched The Apprentice, I always thought he was a terrible manager.  Not only was he tolerant of behaviors that would make the real workplace toxic, he often actually encouraged it.  I also always felt bad for all the various executives from his company he was bringing in occasionally, they were so obviously there just to be yes-men, it was so undignified.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on March 17, 2016, 02:20:38 PM
I don't know. I think he's been fairly known for quite some time. I've known of him since some point in childhood. I believe I even played a Trump boardgame.

Sure, people had *heard* of him. That's a bit different from him being the story every time one watches the news or the late night comedy shows.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?