News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on March 16, 2016, 11:48:47 PM
Meh.  I hope that one of Trump's legacies won't be the idea that he was a clown who managed to shove aside respectable politicians and turned a dignified affair into a circus.  Fearmongering, intolerance, utter disregard for facts, engineered disasters presented as policy, all that was still going to be there better than ever.  When the insults stopped at the last debate, there wasn't much substance to take their place.

I was talking about Trump with a friend, and the spat with Fox News came up. I thought I came up with a good analogy, which was:

"If you make your living selling sheets and gasoline, don't act shocked when a crowd of people wearing sheets and burning crosses shows up".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Very apt.  We should put all linen-selling gas stations on notice.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on March 17, 2016, 08:14:16 AM

There is only one in the "media" realm I am aware of, but I am with you on the desire to get rid of them.

But hey, free speech and all that. Fox News has the right to profit from fear mongering and hate.

0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on March 17, 2016, 07:50:58 AM
Meh.  I hope that one of Trump's legacies won't be the idea that he was a clown who managed to shove aside respectable politicians and turned a dignified affair into a circus.  Fearmongering, intolerance, utter disregard for facts, engineered disasters presented as policy, all that was still going to be there better than ever.  When the insults stopped at the last debate, there wasn't much substance to take their place.

I was talking about Trump with a friend, and the spat with Fox News came up. I thought I came up with a good analogy, which was:

"If you make your living selling sheets and gasoline, don't act shocked when a crowd of people wearing sheets and burning crosses shows up".

Wow, that's a shitty analogy even by my standards.

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on March 17, 2016, 08:26:36 AM
Quote from: Berkut on March 17, 2016, 07:50:58 AM

Wow, that's a shitty analogy even by my standards.

I don't think so - I think it exactly describes what Fox News has done for the last decade and a half.

They identified a lowest common denominator market where they could make a lot of money telling people what they wanted to hear, and what they wanted to hear was coded racism, bigotry, intolerance, and an embrace of ignorance and crass populism.

0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on March 17, 2016, 08:22:05 AM

There is only one in the "media" realm I am aware of, but I am with you on the desire to get rid of them.

But hey, free speech and all that. Fox News has the right to profit from fear mongering and hate.

Oh.  I thought we were talking about MSNBC :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on March 17, 2016, 08:33:34 AM

Weak.

0 rows returned

Legbiter

Quote from: Savonarola on March 17, 2016, 07:28:16 AM
Actual news story from CNN:

John Legend Calls Donald Trump 'Racist'

Will Meghan Trainor stand by her duet partner, or will this tear them apart?  I  hope CNN keeps us up to date on this crucial story.

Trump has gotten....2 billion dollars in free media according to the New York Times.  :showoff:

QuoteOver the course of the campaign, he has earned close to $2 billion worth of media attention, about twice the all-in price of the most expensive presidential campaigns in history. It is also twice the estimated $746 million that Hillary Clinton, the next best at earning media, took in. Senator Bernie Sanders has earned more media than any of the Republicans except Mr. Trump

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/16/upshot/measuring-donald-trumps-mammoth-advantage-in-free-media.html?smid=fb-share&_r=1

Apparently everyone wants to read about Trump. If you're a journalist or pundit who wants readers, you must write about Trump. You don't have a choice.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

alfred russel

Berkut, from legbiter's post, it seems like the problem is more general than fox news.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on March 17, 2016, 08:34:12 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 17, 2016, 08:33:34 AM

Weak.

Yep. 

Legbiter

Also it's not just about money. The Republican donor class geniuses sank a 100 million into Jeb! for 2.8% in Iowa.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Capetan Mihali

The pre-Trump quadrennial political circus was far from a dignified affair.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Norgy

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on March 17, 2016, 09:09:08 AM
Berkut, from legbiter's post, it seems like the problem is more general than fox news.

Now it is, sure.

But we are at the current end result of years of Fox and the right wing media telling white, "traditional" Americans that they are under constant and unremitting attacks on their precious bodily fluids.

It is not the entirety of the Trump phenomenon of course.

0 rows returned

Savonarola

Quote from: Legbiter on March 17, 2016, 09:07:31 AM
Trump has gotten....2 billion dollars in free media according to the New York Times.  :showoff:

QuoteOver the course of the campaign, he has earned close to $2 billion worth of media attention, about twice the all-in price of the most expensive presidential campaigns in history. It is also twice the estimated $746 million that Hillary Clinton, the next best at earning media, took in. Senator Bernie Sanders has earned more media than any of the Republicans except Mr. Trump

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/16/upshot/measuring-donald-trumps-mammoth-advantage-in-free-media.html?smid=fb-share&_r=1

Apparently everyone wants to read about Trump. If you're a journalist or pundit who wants readers, you must write about Trump. You don't have a choice.

This is why I thought the Trump campaign would fall apart.  Eventually we'd hit the point of Trump saturation and people would move on to something else; but since we're reading about a Twitter spat between Donald Trump Jr. and an R&B singer in a respectable-ish news site that obviously hasn't happened yet and may not happen.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock