And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 15, 2016, 12:26:59 PM
Hardcore? :lol:

I doubt something that happened in March will be red meat in the general. Maybe a rotting dead horse corpse.

;)

And I haven't even started on Hillary for bragging about how she's gonna put coal miners out of business.  I mean, did she fall and hit her head again or something??

Seriously, ask your fellow volunteers down at the campaign headquarters.  See if they have any inside info.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

frunk

Quote from: Malthus on March 15, 2016, 12:23:04 PM
I don't think the settler types, or the RW government that supports them, have unlimited goals of total displacement - they are opposed within Israel by a faction hostile to them. I suspect they are nibbling away all they can steal without the heat being turned up against them too much. They react opportunistically, to political opportunities, to grab more and more, it is true. But killings/deportations would go too far.   

If they tried for total displacement, the political pressure domestic and foreign would be too severe. To date, they haven't shown that sort of chutzpah. Indeed, Israel has reacted pragmatically to withdraw from areas it has taken in wars, where the heat was too great, or where there was an opportunity - such as pulling out of the Sinai or Gaza. Though neither of those were exactly successes, which has added to the RW clout.

I suspect the 'end result' is an Israel with bits of the WB successfully stolen and added to it, and a lot of ill-will and political damage as a result. Not a mass clearance of the WB, either by deportations or murders.

Fair enough.

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on March 15, 2016, 12:30:03 PM

And I haven't even started on Hillary for bragging about how she's gonna put coal miners out of business.  I mean, did she fall and hit her head again or something??

Whoa. She really said that? No way she carries West Virginia now.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 15, 2016, 12:30:03 PM
;)

Seriously, ask your fellow volunteers down at the campaign headquarters.  See if they have any inside info.

The day I volunteer on a political campaign will be the day after I get my lobotomy. So I don't know. Good thing nobody else in this campaign has said anything moronic.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on March 15, 2016, 12:12:58 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 15, 2016, 11:16:31 AM
Apparently urban sass and attitude only works for Oprah. 

Oprah is country.  You need to learn more about black folk.

Oprah ain't been country since WJZ, fool.

merithyn

Has there been discussion on VP material for the top four contenders?

I'm guessing Ben Carson is shooting for VP with Trump, though I'm not sure he'd take him. (Doesn't fit with his racist persona.) But there are a lot of options out there.

I'm just trying to figure out who Bernie would choose. Hillary wouldn't stoop to that, I'm sure. Another woman? A person of color? My initial thought was Jill Stein from the Green Party, but that may be way out there even for Bernie.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

celedhring

Seems to me Christie is blatantly angling for the VP spot, with all that self-humiliation. Would give Trump establishment cred without damaging his outsider persona.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 15, 2016, 12:23:48 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 15, 2016, 12:19:33 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 15, 2016, 12:15:43 PM
That's what I assumed the context was, but by omitting any clarification to that statement she committed a gaffe.  You'd think she'd be smart enough to choose her words carefully when discussing anything about Libya.

Eh it is not something that is going to resonate much in the Democratic Primary though.

I understand that as a hardcore Hillary supporter you would like to minimize the impact of that horrible gaffe, but it'll be red meat for her opponents in the general.

The people in the general who care about Benghazi think she deliberately murdered these people and somehow "covered it up".  Nothing is going to convince them otherwise and it's best to just ignore them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on March 15, 2016, 12:23:48 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 15, 2016, 12:19:33 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 15, 2016, 12:15:43 PM
That's what I assumed the context was, but by omitting any clarification to that statement she committed a gaffe.  You'd think she'd be smart enough to choose her words carefully when discussing anything about Libya.

Eh it is not something that is going to resonate much in the Democratic Primary though.

I understand that as a hardcore Hillary supporter you would like to minimize the impact of that horrible gaffe, but it'll be red meat for her opponents in the general.

Yes, I'm sure Benghazi will blow up in her face any day now.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Quote from: merithyn on March 15, 2016, 12:41:58 PM

I'm guessing Ben Carson is shooting for VP with Trump, though I'm not sure he'd take him. (Doesn't fit with his racist persona.) But there are a lot of options out there.

I'm just trying to figure out who Bernie would choose. Hillary wouldn't stoop to that, I'm sure. Another woman? A person of color? My initial thought was Jill Stein from the Green Party, but that may be way out there even for Bernie.

Usually they try to balance out the ticket.  Trump will pick someone experienced, Hil will pick someone charismatic, and Sanders will pick someone moderate.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

alfred russel

Hillary or Elizabeth Warren.

Not sure why Hillary wouldn't stoop to that. It is the number two position. She "stooped" to be secretary of state for obama. Also, Bernie is really old. There is a non zero chance he dies, is incapacitated, or at 78 isn't fit enough to run in 2020.

She is going to win anyway.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Barrister

Trump:  Ben Carson might be aiming for it, but who can tell with him?  He's such a bad campaigner I think even Trump realizes that.  Nah, the guy who is more obviously aiming for it is Chris Christie.  It sort of works - they have similar "tell it like it is" personas, are from neighboring states and knew each other from before the campaign.

But Trump is a kind of "outside the box" figure, who apparently is loath to trust people easily.  I say he nominates Ivanka.  I'm serious.  Or an even more "out there" suggestion that kind of makes sense - Vince McMahon.  Now I'm only mostly joking - they're both billionaires who have known each other for decades.

Hillary: traditional thinking is you need to balance out the ticket.  If you're old, get a young running mate.  If you're from the northeast, select someone from the west or south (although he background is Chicago to Arkansas to DC to New York).  It wasn't a consideration before Obama, but now perhaps if you're white, you select someone who is black.

Who is that person?  A young black politician from the south or the west?  I'm drawing a blank, honestly on that kind of thinking.  Even doing some googling for black senators or governors - as far as I can tell the only black senators or governors right now are republicans.

But what did Bill do in 1992?  He did not follow the traditional thinking either.  He doubled down on what he was, young and southern, when he selected Al Gore.  If Hillary is taking advice from Bill (and she should), I think she chooses Elizabeth Warren to be her running mate - a fellow woman from the north east.  Warren has major credibility with progressives (where Clinton is struggling) so that may give her campaign a boost.

Sanders: doesn't matter.  He's not going to win.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Cory Booker may not be a bad choice.

Including for Bernie, but he has wall street ties.

Phillip V

Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2016, 12:59:03 PM

Trump:  Ben Carson might be aiming for it, but who can tell with him?  He's such a bad campaigner I think even Trump realizes that.  Nah, the guy who is more obviously aiming for it is Chris Christie.  It sort of works - they have similar "tell it like it is" personas, are from neighboring states and knew each other from before the campaign.

But Trump is a kind of "outside the box" figure, who apparently is loath to trust people easily.  I say he nominates Ivanka.  I'm serious.  Or an even more "out there" suggestion that kind of makes sense - Vince McMahon.  Now I'm only mostly joking - they're both billionaires who have known each other for decades.

Hillary: traditional thinking is you need to balance out the ticket.  If you're old, get a young running mate.  If you're from the northeast, select someone from the west or south (although he background is Chicago to Arkansas to DC to New York).  It wasn't a consideration before Obama, but now perhaps if you're white, you select someone who is black.

Who is that person?  A young black politician from the south or the west?  I'm drawing a blank, honestly on that kind of thinking.  Even doing some googling for black senators or governors - as far as I can tell the only black senators or governors right now are republicans.

But what did Bill do in 1992?  He did not follow the traditional thinking either.  He doubled down on what he was, young and southern, when he selected Al Gore.  If Hillary is taking advice from Bill (and she should), I think she chooses Elizabeth Warren to be her running mate - a fellow woman from the north east.  Warren has major credibility with progressives (where Clinton is struggling) so that may give her campaign a boost.

I think young women will get very excited by an all-woman ticket:  Clinton-Warren

Heck, I would get excited by that.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2016, 12:59:03 PM

So then why are you speculating on Donald?  :P

Donald said he is going for an insider. So Christie has a shot, Carson, McMahon, and Ivanka (!!!) probably not. If you assume he actually meant what he said. Which is of course always in doubt with Trump.