News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 07, 2016, 08:00:32 PM
I don't think these are layers of government at all.  i think they're geographic areas with legislated tax surcharges.

I think you are correct.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 07, 2016, 08:00:32 PM
I don't think these are layers of government at all.  i think they're geographic areas with legislated tax surcharges.

If an organization has the power to levy taxes it's a government, how is that in dispute?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: celedhring on March 07, 2016, 06:51:25 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 07, 2016, 06:42:44 PM
Bloomberg just announced he will not run because he doesn't want to split the Hillary vote and give the race to The Donald.

The electoral vote estimations from his campaign.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2752893/Bloomberg.pdf

He was obviously aiming for a Sanders vs Trump scenario.

I disagree with the parts of the map where electoral votes go to Bloomberg.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 07, 2016, 08:15:39 PM
If an organization has the power to levy taxes it's a government, how is that in dispute?

Special districts don't have any power to levy taxes.  State legislatures have powers to levy taxes.

I pay about $44 extra a year on my Iowa income tax because I live in the Johnson County school district.  That school district doesn't have any power to levy taxes; they have power to say thank you to the state government and to spend it.

Razgovory

The article is a bit more alarmist than necessary.  Obviously, someone needs to keep a close eye on these kinds of things, and there is probably some corruption. but they aren't some big secret.  Also talking about the mayor getting West Nile is stupid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 07, 2016, 09:09:10 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 07, 2016, 09:00:27 PM
Didn't Bloomberg try to limit big sodas?

Yes. He is a first class nag.

Even though I don't drink them anymore, don't fuck with America's soda.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Quote from: 11B4V on March 07, 2016, 09:22:48 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 07, 2016, 09:21:05 PM
Looks like Emma Watson.

She cleans up rather nicely in der SS ensemble.

I thought it looked like a doctored pic of that traitorous prosecutor/lawyer from the Crimea who had the 15 minutes of hottie fame...but Google does suggest Emma.