Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on March 04, 2016, 02:08:49 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on March 04, 2016, 01:33:45 PM
ahh, that's definitely sexual

No, only in your filthy mind.  Pretty sure he meant Mitt would drop to his knees to beg.

Sure.

And the follow-up line "He got a real pretty mouth, ain't he?" was just a random complement.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Heh? I can't hear that on the clips that have been divulged of the speech.

Tonitrus

People give the candidates crap for making crappy debates...but in this Fox one, the moderators were almost just as bad.

Bickering with the candidate about the factualness of their figures, even if the moderator is correct, is not their place or function.

But then it is Fox News.  :P

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on March 04, 2016, 02:51:00 PM
Heh? I can't hear that on the clips that have been divulged of the speech.

That's because it's a blatant lie. One just made up for purposes of outrageous slander.  :whistle:

Sort of like "Muslims danced in the streets of NJ after 9/11".  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Legbiter

Quote from: Savonarola on March 04, 2016, 11:52:38 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 04, 2016, 09:22:01 AM
Did Trump mention the size of his genitals during the last debate? :blink:

Obliquely; fortunately our media is considerably more vulgar than Trump.  What Trump said:

"And, he referred to my hands -- 'if they're small, something else must be small.' I guarantee you there's no problem. I guarantee."

What CNN reported:

Trump defends size of his penis

I thought his non-apology to Rubio was quite lulzy; "I also called him a lightweight, I'd like to take that back, he's really not that much of a lightweight...."  :goodboy:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Savonarola

Quote from: alfred russel on March 04, 2016, 02:23:53 PM
The chaos of his events with protesters and general stupidity made me think of Morton Downey Jr. Basically the conservative political Jerry Springer.

I guess in the longer term, beyond Trump, of course assuming a Trump presidency does not result in a nuclear holocaust, is this a one off phenomena? Or are major national candidates somewhat unmoored from traditional politics a trend? It isn't quite the same thing, but Sanders in the US and especially Jeremy Corbyn in the UK are not the standard center left politicians normally leading their parties. But I think part of what makes it not quite the same thing is that on the right populism can tend toward racism and nativism, which isn't so connected with left politics.

I don't think Trump is an entirely new phenomena.  Since Watergate almost every successful presidential candidate has run as a "Washington outsider" for their first term (Carter, Reagan, Clinton, W, Obama.)  The sole exception is the senior Bush (and arguably Gore) who was running as a third term for Reagan.  Trump, having never held office (or even worked in the public sector) before, is simply a greater outsider.

A second trend that I see Trump as a continuation of is the cult of personality driven by media.  FDR, Kennedy, Reagan and Obama all were similar.  All were masters of the dominant form of media in their day (radio, television, television and social media respectively) and with the exception of Reagan it was an emerging media; something that their opponents didn't quite get yet.

So, to answer your question, I think the trend of "Washington outsiders" will continue; and probably more non-traditional politicians will run for office.  On the other hand, I think professional politicians will either copy, or find a way to counter Trump's mastery of media.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

DGuller

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 04, 2016, 02:56:53 PM
People give the candidates crap for making crappy debates...but in this Fox one, the moderators were almost just as bad.

Bickering with the candidate about the factualness of their figures, even if the moderator is correct, is not their place or function.

But then it is Fox News.  :P
:huh: I think moderators did an excellent job.  Calling bullshit, when faced with bullshit, is not only their right, but their responsibility.  They have to be impartial while doing that, obviously, but that goes for everything.

Norgy

Does Trump have any other religion than his selfagrandising , though? Watching him fail so miserably at Liberty University was part funny and part OMG TEH PAIN.

alfred russel

Quote from: Savonarola on March 04, 2016, 03:01:24 PM
I don't think Trump is an entirely new phenomena.  Since Watergate almost every successful presidential candidate has run as a "Washington outsider" for their first term (Carter, Reagan, Clinton, W, Obama.)  The sole exception is the senior Bush (and arguably Gore) who was running as a third term for Reagan.  Trump, having never held office (or even worked in the public sector) before, is simply a greater outsider.

A second trend that I see Trump as a continuation of is the cult of personality driven by media.  FDR, Kennedy, Reagan and Obama all were similar.  All were masters of the dominant form of media in their day (radio, television, television and social media respectively) and with the exception of Reagan it was an emerging media; something that their opponents didn't quite get yet.

So, to answer your question, I think the trend of "Washington outsiders" will continue; and probably more non-traditional politicians will run for office.  On the other hand, I think professional politicians will either copy, or find a way to counter Trump's mastery of media.

Trump isn't just an outsider in not having held office. Had Carly Fiorina been the leading nominee at this point, I think Republican office holders and Romney would be rallying around her as is traditional for a front runner.

I think there three ways Trump is different:

a) No political experience - As you say, this isn't entirely new. it will probably continue as the parties have been shown to be so weak and anyone with a billion dollars can self finance. In the grand scheme of things, Trump hasn't even spent much money.
b)Style - basically bringing the Jerry Springer show to the campaign. As you say, this can be imitated. Hopefully it won't, but it probably will. if people are cool with the in the GOP, the party of Ned Flanders, it is definitely going to be okay in a Democratic primary.
c) Politics - This is the big question mark for me. Trump is proposing stuff no one else is talking about. Going after the wives and children of ISIS members, keeping out muslim immigrants, getting a wall built and paid for by Mexico, etc. Even the "reasonable" proposals are "different" - it is standard in a republican primary to propose unrealistic tax cuts, but he just went and proposed truly gargantuan ones that are silly.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on March 04, 2016, 03:11:20 PM
Does Trump have any other religion than his selfagrandising , though? Watching him fail so miserably at Liberty University was part funny and part OMG TEH PAIN.

He is from New York so he is soulless.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

To be honest I saw the part where Trump talks about Mitt being on his knees, and I don't think he meant it as an innuendo/blow job reference.

Norgy

Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2016, 03:23:06 PM
Quote from: Norgy on March 04, 2016, 03:11:20 PM

He is from New York so he is soulless.

So basically European.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2016, 03:55:20 PM
To be honest I saw the part where Trump talks about Mitt being on his knees, and I don't think he meant it as an innuendo/blow job reference.

How was it anything but? :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on March 04, 2016, 04:16:51 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2016, 03:55:20 PM

How was it anything but? :huh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_XCy-vYMJs

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM