2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on October 16, 2015, 10:17:03 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 16, 2015, 10:07:47 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on October 16, 2015, 09:35:08 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 15, 2015, 10:03:20 PM
Goldwater and McGovern were both nominated due to discontent among the base, Trump, Carson or Sanders gaining their party's nomination is not impossible.

Both Goldwater and McGovern were both two term senators.  Trump and Carson are more like Jesse Jackson or Pat Robertson; they might win a couple primaries, but when people start thinking of them as the next president rather than as a protest candidate, they'll fall apart.

I think Sanders is a long shot, but not impossible.

There are only 4 primaries before Super Tuesday this cycle.

And they might win one or two of them.

QuoteThere won't be time for them to fall apart if they're still riding high by the time Iowa and New Hampshire roll around.

They've got three weeks, that's more than enough time to collapse.  Howard Dean managed to do in a single night.

Well, you were right, Tim, and I was wrong.   :(

I think my biggest mistake was assuming that eventually the public would become exhausted by the media's constant coverage of all thing Trump.  That hasn't happened and doesn't seem to be likely to happen any time soon.  The adage about no such thing as bad publicity has certainly proven true; the coverage of Trump has been overwhelmingly negative, yet he thrives.

My second was underestimating the impact of The Donald's mastery of social media.  In 2008 Barack, I think, benefited over Hil and McCain by being able to use social media while they struggled with it, but by 2012 everyone seemed to be on a level playing field.  Trump, though, has been something else in this regard.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Caliga

Ben Carson won't attend the next debate because he "doesn't see a path forward."

He could try opening his eyes for a change. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on March 02, 2016, 05:32:25 PM
Ben Carson won't attend the next debate because he "doesn't see a path forward."

Already posted. :blurgh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: Malthus on March 02, 2016, 01:20:32 PM
What will Languish Republicans do in the actual election if (looking more like when) Trump wins this race? Vote for him, stay home, switch to Democrat?  :hmm:

I posted several months ago that if the nominees were Trump and Clinton, I'd vote for a 3rd party candidate.  However, at that time, I didn't think that Trump could win the nomination, and that in the highly unlikely event that he did so, Hillary would trounce him easily.  Now, however, it seems possible that Trump will not only win the nomination, but maybe the general election.  So, at this point, I'm in wait and see mode.  If either Trump or Clinton is well ahead of the other, or if it's close but not in NC, I'll still vote for a 3rd party candidate.  But if it looks like it'll be close, and NC is in play, I'll very reluctantly vote for Clinton.

It'll be like having to vote for greedy, corrupt used car salesman because the other candidate is a drunkard with an IQ of about 70.

Mind you, I'm still hoping that Trump won't be the Republican nominee.

lustindarkness

Quote from: garbon on March 02, 2016, 05:39:18 PM

Already posted. :blurgh:

But Ben Carson did not see it.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

11B4V

He's a mushroom anyway.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 02, 2016, 03:10:35 PM
Does Trump have a policy? I mean, other than "bomb the hell out of everything".  :P

He's actually the 2nd most isolationist candidate to have run after Rand Paul. He's basically a Lindberghesque American First clone
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Legbiter

QuoteGOP strategist Castellanos: Time to rally around Trump, 'too late to ask mommy to step in and rewrite rules'

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/03/02/gop-strategist-castellanos-time-to-rally-around-trump-too-late-to-ask-mommy-to-step-in-and-rewrite-rules/

Quote"It is too late," Republican media strategist Alex Castellanos, who had unsuccessfully urged top GOP contributors to back an anti-Trump campaign earlier in the cycle, wrote in an email. "There is a fantasy effort to stop Trump, like a fantasy campaign to stop yesterday but it exists only as the denial stage of grief."

...."I think it will soon be clear that Republicans have hired Donald Trump to do the job their previous hires have failed to do: bring change to Washington and make America great again," he wrote.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Eddie Teach

The party has already hit the iceberg, but there's plenty of time to find a lifeboat.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 02, 2016, 07:25:24 PM
The party has already hit the iceberg, but there's plenty of time to find a lifeboat.
Who's splitting?  The so-called moderate Republicans or the hard liners?  What will remain of the GOP?  Which side will Fox News side on?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

MadImmortalMan

Arlen Specter, Lincoln Chafee, Charlie Crist..

Did you know that both Hillary Clinton and Elisabeth Warren used to be Republicans? Also Gabby Giffords.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on March 02, 2016, 07:37:00 PM
Who's splitting?  The so-called moderate Republicans or the hard liners?  What will remain of the GOP?  Which side will Fox News side on?

I don't know that moderate vs. conservative makes much difference, it's the people who either don't like the new directions Trump is going (hawks, free traders) or don't trust him(educated religious conservatives) who aren't going along for the ride.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

It's the Acrapocalypse.

Stupids are gonna win.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

CNN reported from the rumor mill that Republicans are considering setting up a "safe haven" party for Republican up for reelection who don't want to be associated with Trump.