Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

alfred russel

Maybe some has posted this already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpO_RTSNmQ

The John Oliver takedown of Trump. Part of why I thought Trump would never be the nominee is that if he began to close in, stuff like this is so easy to produce and would cut him down to size. This is really good. But at 2 million views, this probably needs to get about 10 times that to have an effect. But baby steps.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Capetan Mihali

One has to wonder what the psychological effect of the mere name "Trump," which is basically a dictionary definition "v. to beat an opponent," has on all of us members of the public...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

I don't find Oliver very persuasive in general. I think he just kind of assumes he's preaching to the choir. He's no Jon Stewart.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 29, 2016, 09:26:14 PM
And to think, I figured watching a major world religion in Islam fight out its schism during the era of the modern city-state in real time was fascinating--but watching a major American political party implode upon itself, so quickly, so completely?  This is once-in-a-century shit here.
Do you mean nation-state?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 29, 2016, 09:26:14 PM
And to think, I figured watching a major world religion in Islam fight out its schism during the era of the modern city-state in real time was fascinating--but watching a major American political party implode upon itself, so quickly, so completely?  This is once-in-a-century shit here.

Yip
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Editor's note: Donald Trump is a serial liar, rampant xenophobe, racist, misogynist, birther and bully who has repeatedly pledged to ban all Muslims -- 1.6 billion members of an entire religion -- from entering the U.S.

lol
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on February 29, 2016, 11:14:05 PM
Maybe some has posted this already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpO_RTSNmQ

The John Oliver takedown of Trump. Part of why I thought Trump would never be the nominee is that if he began to close in, stuff like this is so easy to produce and would cut him down to size. This is really good. But at 2 million views, this probably needs to get about 10 times that to have an effect. But baby steps.

Actually, none of the stuff in that clip, while very funny, seems to me like something that could hurt Trump with his base, at least during the primaries.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 29, 2016, 11:41:43 PM
I don't find Oliver very persuasive in general. I think he just kind of assumes he's preaching to the choir. He's no Jon Stewart.

Yeah. I think he is clever and funny, and I enjoy watching him, but he hardly ever seems to deliver a message that crosses the party lines. I respect Bill Maher much more (even though he is probably less funny than Oliver) for going after liberals. Oliver never seems to do it.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on February 29, 2016, 04:19:38 PM
I get the impression lots of people enjoy voting for Trump simply for the lulz. They get a kick out of seeing the usual suspects in the media and other establishment types freaking out about it.

Problem is, at the end of the day being president is a job, and there is no indication that Trump would be anything but a disaster at doing it. Is that worth a few laughs?

I think it's more a middle finger than "the lulz". As with most of its social problems (like Black Lives Matter), America is living out its class conflict through other means - in this case the cultural wars, which are pitting the white middle class (which is the side represented by the leftist / feminist establishment) against the white working class (which is largely demonised as racist, chauvinistic, homophobic rednecks*). In modern West white women have a much better chance of upward social mobility than white men, to the extent this is actually creating a class divide between genders.

*Notice that while Trump is being considered beyond the pale by calling Mexicans rapists, it is perfectly fine to talk about the "rape culture" among white males, for example in colleges.

Capetan Mihali

It's kind of weird, being a generally "tuned-in" person, and not having a clue who John Oliver is beyond this board.  No friends mention him, it never pops up anywhere, nothing.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)