And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 28, 2016, 08:58:01 PM
God save the Republic :weep:

The Republic of Korea, or the Republic you abandoned years ago?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

celedhring

Not that it will matter, but thought Oliver was brilliant yesterday in his take on Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGc2nN9OguQ

Ultimately, people are voting the brand, not the man.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on February 29, 2016, 08:59:24 AM

What the fuck is that supposed to mean!?  :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

CNN/ORC National GOP Primary Poll

• Donald Trump - 49%
  • Marco Rubio - 16%
  • Ted Cruz - 15%
  • Ben Carson - 10%
  • John Kasich - 6%
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/29/politics/trump-clinton-dominant-as-super-tuesday-looms/index.html

We're fucked.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on February 29, 2016, 08:59:58 AM
Not that it will matter, but thought Oliver was brilliant yesterday in his take on Trump.

I am still to watch that episode but his previous one was a bit lackluster. Liberals freaking out over the voter ID laws must be the dumbest partisan move on the left in a long time. If you are too stupid to get an ID of some sort perhaps you shouldnt be allowed to vote in the first place.

Monoriu

DGuller

That was a shit link, celery.  Use this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpO_RTSNmQ.

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on February 29, 2016, 09:40:52 AM

I am still to watch that episode but his previous one was a bit lackluster. Liberals freaking out over the voter ID laws must be the dumbest partisan move on the left in a long time. If you are too stupid to get an ID of some sort perhaps you shouldnt be allowed to vote in the first place.
It's the mindset of the people enacting these laws that matter.  People willing to attack voting franchise on the margin are attacking the democratic system itself.  Sure, any particular move will have enough plausible deniability and a pretext that sounds valid enough in isolation, but the mindset is highly toxic.

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 29, 2016, 09:35:53 AM

• Donald Trump - 49%
  • Marco Rubio - 16%
  • Ted Cruz - 15%
  • Ben Carson - 10%
  • John Kasich - 6%

Assuming that poll is accurate, who the fuck are these people for Trump? And what is wrong with them?

I guess that just means Hillary has to win, unless someone takes one for the team.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on February 29, 2016, 09:56:53 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 29, 2016, 09:35:53 AM

• Donald Trump - 49%
  • Marco Rubio - 16%
  • Ted Cruz - 15%
  • Ben Carson - 10%
  • John Kasich - 6%

Assuming that poll is accurate, who the fuck are these people for Trump? And what is wrong with them?

I guess that just means Hillary has to win, unless someone takes one for the team.

I find it amusing that for years everybody was wondering why white working class Americans keep voting for candidates representing the interest of Wall Street donors - and the very moment they stopped, everybody is shocked.

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 29, 2016, 07:57:24 AM
Silver suggests were in the midst of a major realignment and all bets are off.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/dont-assume-conservatives-will-rally-behind-trump/

I'm not so sure anti-Trump Republicans are going to jump ship and vote for Hillary.  People often make bold statements about primary candidates in the heat of the primary, then circle wagons once November rolls around.  Time heals all wounds & whatnot.

Could be some interesting effects here & there by third party candidates maybe making a difference in states with close races.

I believed Nate when he said Trump would fizzle out once people started thinking seriously about the primaries.  Maybe he'll get it right this time, dunno.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 29, 2016, 09:31:35 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 29, 2016, 08:59:24 AM

What the fuck is that supposed to mean!?  :mad:

You are an educator, but have elected to educate foreigners in a foreign land rather than your own people. You don't want to live in America, but want to live in Korea. I assume basically all the taxes you pay go to Korea. There seems to be a trend that is out of alignment with your ostensible patriotism.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on February 29, 2016, 10:05:11 AM

I find it amusing that for years everybody was wondering why white working class Americans keep voting for candidates representing the interest of Wall Street donors - and the very moment they stopped, everybody is shocked.

Trump is running on the standard "slash taxes for the wealthy" platforms on steroids. He doesn't represent white working class americans any more than the other candidates.

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on February 29, 2016, 10:09:40 AM
You are an educator, but have elected to educate foreigners in a foreign land rather than your own people. You don't want to live in America, but want to live in Korea. I assume basically all the taxes you pay go to Korea. There seems to be a trend that is out of alignment with your ostensible patriotism.

Let Korea have his tax money.  At least he's not teaching English to our kids.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

celedhring

Quote from: DGuller on February 29, 2016, 09:44:55 AM

That was a shit link, celery.  Use this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpO_RTSNmQ.

So many pixels  :o