And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Berkut on February 24, 2016, 05:18:44 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 24, 2016, 04:54:13 PM
It gave credibility to that ideology and made it mainstream. Media don't inoculate ideologies into people - that's 1930s thinking - but they are very powerful in creating the array of what constitute acceptable ideas within a society.

"It's okay to be a bigot, people in the telly are bigots all the time".

It's even worse than that - they are not saying it is ok to be a bigot, they are saying "You have every reason to hate those people, because they really are out to get you and destroy your way of life! Wanting to defeat those rapists and criminals is not bigoted at all!"

Fair enough, I admit the only times I watched stuff from Fox News while I lived in the US, was when Jon Stewart was making fun of it.

Legbiter

The Lucky Hitler hypothesis to explain Trump is meh, too pat. The Republican base is in anti-establishment revolt, and Trump is the imperfect vessel with which the party will renew itself. Really with Trump on one hand and then Bernie on the other, Americans are spoilt for choice this election cycle.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

derspiess

The ChiComs are pissed at Trump.  So he's doing at least one thing right.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on February 24, 2016, 02:41:36 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 24, 2016, 10:37:22 AM
Ever since Reagan the Republicans have been running campaigns on the premise that "conservatism" is a positive ideological attribute that attracts voters, whereas "liberalism" is a bad word.  When the Tea Party rose to prominence, a variety of commentators observed that the sentiments expressed, while admittedly pretty incoherent, were not exactly consistent with ideological conservatism.  This campaign has confirmed it: a very substantial part of the GOP base - perhaps a majority - is not "conservative" in the ideological sense.

I think people may be missing perhaps the most obvious reason for Trump's rise, and why it doesn't seem to follow any of the normal rules:

Americans are a sucker for celebrities.

Think about some of the celebrities who have run for office in the last several years.  Guys like Schwarzennegger, Fred Thompson, Al Franken, Sonny Bono, or Jesse Ventura - all won their elections despite fairly thin-to-nonexistent political resumes.  There's also the original celebrity-turned-politician - Ronald Reagan.

In fact as I keep thinking about it the only unsuccessful celebrity-turned-politician I can think of is Fred Thompson's Presidential run - but at the time it was criticized for being extremely laid back and lacking passion - things the Trump campaign is hardly lacking in.  But almost every other time the celebrity has been successful.

Maybe this is just how it is: celebrity trumps all.  Perhaps the 2024 Presidential campaign is going to be between Kanye West and Taylor Swift.

Don't be ridiculous, Kanye has already pledged to run in 2020.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

To every Bernie fan, "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.", is not a coherent strategy in either politics or government.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 24, 2016, 07:07:50 PM
Maybe this is just how it is: celebrity trumps all.  Perhaps the 2024 Presidential campaign is going to be between Kanye West and Taylor Swift.

And after he wins, Taylor Swift will challenge him in his reelection bid.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 24, 2016, 07:16:10 PM
To every Bernie fan, "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.", is not a coherent strategy in either politics or government.

Then why did Ghandi not say that? Huh?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Phillip V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 24, 2016, 07:20:35 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 24, 2016, 07:07:50 PM

And after he wins, Taylor Swift will challenge him in his reelection bid.
I will be Taylor Swift's First Gentleman, and Selena Gomez will be her First Lady.

Monoriu

Quote from: derspiess on February 24, 2016, 07:01:09 PM
The ChiComs are pissed at Trump.  So he's doing at least one thing right.

I haven't heard anything.  What did they say?  :unsure:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on February 23, 2016, 08:51:24 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 23, 2016, 08:27:30 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 23, 2016, 08:04:52 PM
Unless a major swing comes about in the e-mail scandal, I'm beginning to think you're right.

The only swing that will matter is the number of Americans in several swing states who will be surprised to find out they have been intentionally disenfranchised and will no longer be allowed to vote.   

Because if you can't beat 'em, make 'em guess how many jelly beans are in the jar.  Boy.

Electoral fraud and trickery can only work for so long if that's all they have going for them.

Nothing fraudulent or tricky about pushing through legislation that is designed specifically to suppress certomsomebody's vote.  Guess the South did rise again, after all.  Jim Crow '16.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Phillip V on February 24, 2016, 07:42:41 PM
I will be Taylor Swift's First Gentleman, and Selena Gomez will be her First Lady.

You want to know
How it will be
Me and him
Or you and me

You both stand there your long hair flowin'
Eyes alive your mind still growin'
Sayin' to me, "What can we do now that we both love you?"
I love you too
I don't really see why can't we go on as three

You are afraid
Embarrassed too
No one has ever said such a
Thing to you

Your mother's ghost stands at your shoulder
Face like ice a little bit colder
Sayin' to you, "You can not do that, it breaks all the rules
You learned in school"
I don't really see
Why can't we go on as three

We love each other
It's plain to see
There's just one answer
That comes to me

Sister lovers water brothers
And in time maybe others
So you see what we can do is to try something new
If you're crazy too
I don't really see
Why can't we go on as three

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 24, 2016, 07:52:01 PM
Nothing fraudulent or tricky about pushing through legislation that is designed specifically to suppress certomsomebody's vote.  Guess the South did rise again, after all.  Jim Crow '16.

You're right, that molehill is rather large.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 24, 2016, 07:55:39 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 24, 2016, 07:52:01 PM

You're right, that molehill is rather large.

Molehill?  It's a fucking national embarrassment, and a moral obscenity.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Yeah I had not noticed Cruz fever really catching on in Texas. He is not loved or anything, though I fully expect him to be our Senator for a long time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."