Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on February 24, 2016, 02:41:36 PM
In fact as I keep thinking about it the only unsuccessful celebrity-turned-politician I can think of is Fred Thompson's Presidential run - but at the time it was criticized for being extremely laid back and lacking passion

I bet all the people who complained about that are wishing we had more of it about now.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Eddie Teach

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 24, 2016, 03:16:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 24, 2016, 02:41:36 PM
In fact as I keep thinking about it the only unsuccessful celebrity-turned-politician I can think of is Fred Thompson's Presidential run - but at the time it was criticized for being extremely laid back and lacking passion

I bet all the people who complained about that are wishing we had more of it about now.

I don't know that "complaining" is the right word, they just suggested he wasn't doing himself any favors with the voters.

As for laid back candidates, we still have them:

:D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 24, 2016, 04:01:37 PM
That's not laid back, that is sleeping.

You have to be pretty laid back to fall asleep on tv.  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Here's an idea just crazy enough to work: a Rubio-Cruz ticket

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/431778/marco-rubio-ted-cruz-stop-donald-trump

It's an anti-Trump coalition (which is why NRO would be suggesting it of course).  Cruz drops out and Rubio names him as his VP candidate.  Both go gang-busters bashing Trump.

Berkut

I like that Beebs is trying to figure out a way to blame Trump on something other than the conservatives reaping what a decade or two of Fox News Conservatism has sown.

That is all this is - a couple decades of hatred, bigotry, vitriol, dishonesty, and pandering to the lowest common denominator has resulted in Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, and Carson.

It is really just that simple.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on February 24, 2016, 04:26:40 PM
I like that Beebs is trying to figure out a way to blame Trump on something other than the conservatives reaping what a decade or two of Fox News Conservatism has sown.

That is all this is - a couple decades of hatred, bigotry, vitriol, dishonesty, and pandering to the lowest common denominator has resulted in Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, and Carson.

And I disagree.

The audience for Fox News wasn't created by Roger Ailes.  It always existed - Roger Ailes and Fox News just served that audience.

celedhring

It gave credibility to that ideology and made it mainstream. Media don't inoculate ideologies into people - that's 1930s thinking - but they are very powerful in creating the array of what constitute acceptable ideas within a society.

"It's okay to be a bigot, people in the telly are bigots all the time".

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on February 24, 2016, 04:34:40 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 24, 2016, 04:26:40 PM

And I disagree.

The audience for Fox News wasn't created by Roger Ailes.  It always existed - Roger Ailes and Fox News just served that audience.

Of course - nobody has any responsibility, the things that people do don't matter, they just "serve the audience" and the audience remains unaffected in every way.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: celedhring on February 24, 2016, 04:54:13 PM
It gave credibility to that ideology and made it mainstream. Media don't inoculate ideologies into people - that's 1930s thinking - but they are very powerful in creating the array of what constitute acceptable ideas within a society.

"It's okay to be a bigot, people in the telly are bigots all the time".

It's even worse than that - they are not saying it is ok to be a bigot, they are saying "You have every reason to hate those people, because they really are out to get you and destroy your way of life! Wanting to defeat those rapists and criminals is not bigoted at all!"

0 rows returned