And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Malthus on February 02, 2016, 10:53:15 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 02, 2016, 10:49:15 AM
No Rubio is not an outsider blowhard lunatic. He is just a hard core right wing guy.

I'm trying to figure out which of the three front runners I would want to root for. It's a bit of a paradox.  :hmm:

Trump? No, he's a blowhard troll.

Cruz? No, he's a weirdo religious nutter.

Rubio? No, he's sincerely hardcore right wing.

Repeat.  :D

I am going to assume that all front-runners are rational candidates and moderates until evidence to the contrary shows up. 

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on February 02, 2016, 12:11:56 PM
And I've always styled myself as a Burkean-style conservative.

But "Burkean" is not synonymous with "moderate".

It isn't? Isn't the whole point is to not radically reform shit or things become destabilized? Or did I read that wrong?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I thought it was about being freemen under a monarchy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on February 02, 2016, 12:57:38 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 02, 2016, 12:11:56 PM
And I've always styled myself as a Burkean-style conservative.

But "Burkean" is not synonymous with "moderate".

It isn't? Isn't the whole point is to not radically reform shit or things become destabilized? Or did I read that wrong?

Not necessarily.  Remember Burke was actually very sympathetic and supportive of the American revolution.  It was the fracas in France that he strongly objected to.

Besides, when I look at Rubio's platform there really isn't anything "radical" about it, other than maybe ending Obamacare (But then again every GOP candidate has promised that).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

Rubio wants to cancel the Iran nuclear deal on his first day in office. That's retarded.

Malthus

Quote from: Monoriu on February 02, 2016, 12:56:03 PM
No Rubio is not an outsider blowhard lunatic. He is just a hard core right wing guy.

I'm trying to figure out which of the three front runners I would want to root for. It's a bit of a paradox.  :hmm:

I am going to assume that all front-runners are rational candidates and moderates until evidence to the contrary shows up.

You mean, evidence aside from what they say and promise?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Zanza on February 02, 2016, 01:25:49 PM
Rubio wants to cancel the Iran nuclear deal on his first day in office. That's retarded.

More than that....it doesn't create much faith in agreement with the USA if successive governments change it. I doubt he could anyway.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on February 02, 2016, 02:07:56 PM
Quote from: Zanza on February 02, 2016, 01:25:49 PM

More than that....it doesn't create much faith in agreement with the USA if successive governments change it. I doubt he could anyway.

But the iran deal is particularly odd that way.  It's not a formal treaty (because the GOP-controlled congress wouldn't ratify it).  It's effectively just a handshake agreement between Iran and the US, and either side could very easily walk away from it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on February 02, 2016, 02:11:14 PM

But the iran deal is particularly odd that way.  It's not a formal treaty (because the GOP-controlled congress wouldn't ratify it).  It's effectively just a handshake agreement between Iran and the US, and either side could very easily walk away from it.

What makes it insane is not that we would be breaking a sacred agreement, as you note, it is basically a handshake deal between the current US administration and Iran.

What makes it insane is that the previous status quo was (somewhat) global sanctions on Iran without inspections/agreement to forgo whatever it was they were not forgoing. With the agreement, the sanctions have been lifted. So Rubio is free to walk away from the deal if he wants, but the EU and others aren't going to sign back up for sanctions because the new administration thinks Obama made a bad deal. That ship has sailed, and the old status quo won't come back.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

Quote from: alfred russel on February 02, 2016, 02:33:47 PM
What makes it insane is not that we would be breaking a sacred agreement, as you note, it is basically a handshake deal between the current US administration and Iran.

What makes it insane is that the previous status quo was (somewhat) global sanctions on Iran without inspections/agreement to forgo whatever it was they were not forgoing. With the agreement, the sanctions have been lifted. So Rubio is free to walk away from the deal if he wants, but the EU and others aren't going to sign back up for sanctions because the new administration thinks Obama made a bad deal. That ship has sailed, and the old status quo won't come back.
Airbus should probably give his campaign five million Euro right now.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on February 02, 2016, 08:47:10 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 02, 2016, 08:30:40 AM
Sanders won voters under 30 by 70 points.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/02/iowa-bernie-sanders-won-his-partys-future.html?mid=facebook_nymag

I'm not sure what is the point of that slant by nymag. Winning the future? As though the youth opinions won't change over time?

Some will, but most won't. I expect that the leftist insurgent will win eventually, if not in 2020, in 2024.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on February 02, 2016, 02:40:29 PM

Airbus should probably give his campaign five million Euro right now.

Highly unlikely they are going to be investing in US jets. Too strong of odds that sanctions will come back, and they hate us anyway. Also, you are giving too much credit to the influence of the #3 iowa finisher, when everyone else probably has the same position on the GOP side.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

Quote from: alfred russel on February 02, 2016, 03:00:57 PM
Highly unlikely they are going to be investing in US jets.
They already expressed interest in buying Boeing aircraft.

Quoteand they hate us anyway.
That has never stopped anybody from doing business. Example: the Sauds.

crazy canuck

Have you been living under a rock  :P

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 02, 2016, 03:12:50 PM

Have you been living under a rock  :P

No, he's been living in an authoritarian hellhole, I'm sure most western politicians are moderate to him :P