News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: DGuller on January 14, 2016, 11:19:53 PM
Moderator:  What did you mean by New York values?
Cruz:  You know what I meant. :perv:
Trump:  9/11  :mad:
Cruz:  :blush:

Yeah, that comeback is so obvious. What were Cruz writers thinking?

Razgovory

Quote from: celedhring on January 15, 2016, 05:04:09 AM

"Oh, God if those dumb fucks are stupid enough to think Obama isn't a citizen, what chance does Cruz have?  We need to distract attention fast!  Let's say he's from New York!  It worked in those salsa commercials!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on January 15, 2016, 05:04:09 AM

Well, while yeah certainly a mistake in the post-9/11 world, it isn't like New York/Wall Street isn't a target of scorn from certain segments of the population. I read what I thought was a funny analysis from Guardian on it (they were just like why would someone hate on New York) and I was like well just think about how people from Northern England feel about London.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Yeah, I'm aware that NY is a liberal hellhole in the eyes of some conservatives, but it was a weak attack with an easy rebuke (and 9/11 plays right into conservative themes, I'd say). You gotta have better material than that.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on January 15, 2016, 07:45:06 AM
Yeah, I'm aware that NY is a liberal hellhole in the eyes of some conservatives, but it was a weak attack with an easy rebuke (and 9/11 plays right into conservative themes, I'd say). You gotta have better material than that.

Well I have always thought (particularly during the whole debacle of the planned islamic center near the WTC site) that 9/11 + NYC requires a bit of cognitive dissonance for conservatives. Yes 9/11 itself plays for conservative themes but it suddenly has them building into their mythology a detested, sinful city.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

If you're going to be crude, at least be funny. 

:lol:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Kleves

I watched (and could only stomach) a bit of the debate. It appeared to consist entirely of seeing who could most loudly accuse Obama of straight-up treason, and who could most vociferously reject the thought of any kind of gun control ever.  :rolleyes:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Eddie Teach

So he's already formed the Trump Jugend? Shouldn't he wait until after he's elected?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!"  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: celedhring on January 15, 2016, 07:45:06 AM

NYC does tend liberal; OTOH pretty much the entire neoconservative movement is from there - both Kristols, Podhoretz, Krauthammer . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

So, twice the reason for isolationist/nativist conservatives to hate the place?  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 15, 2016, 10:42:14 AM
So, twice the reason for isolationist/nativist conservatives to hate the place?  ;)

Probably, but with Rand Paul out, everyone on the main stage has been pushing the neo-con line on defense and foreign policy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson