News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I don't think the entire slate is crazy.

From what I recall 2012 had Santorum (end with something like 20%!), Perry, Bachmann, Herman Cain and Ron Paul.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on January 11, 2016, 05:08:43 PM
I think Malthus's point is not that crazy candidates haven't fought for nomination before, but rather that never before had the entire slate of candidates been so crazy.

Kasich.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 11, 2016, 03:54:06 PM
Thank God we have Grab On here to keep us current with the cutting edge Stanford street slang.

Are never more than our undergraduate degrees?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2016, 05:11:27 PM

From what I recall 2012 had Santorum (end with something like 20%!), Perry, Bachmann, Herman Cain and Ron Paul.

The problem is that the crazies are running the show, or at least they have been. The crazier, the better their polling numbers.

There are always a couple crazies, or outliers. The thing that is different is that Trump, Carson, Fiorina - they aren't the outliers. The outliers are the (relatively) sane ones.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on January 11, 2016, 05:08:43 PM
I think Malthus's point is not that crazy candidates haven't fought for nomination before, but rather that never before had the entire slate of candidates been so crazy.

There are several candidates running who are not at all crazy, so i don't really know how that works.

If his point is that the there has never been a time when the three candidates who at some point led the polls prior to the Iowa caucus were as crazy as Trump, Carson, and Cruz, I would be inclined to agree.

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on January 11, 2016, 05:13:39 PM

The problem is that the crazies are running the show, or at least they have been. The crazier, the better their polling numbers.

There are always a couple crazies, or outliers. The thing that is different is that Trump, Carson, Fiorina - they aren't the outliers. The outliers are the (relatively) sane ones.

This.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

I think we have fundamentally different views on the candidates.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2016, 05:23:41 PM

I think we have fundamentally different views on the candidates.

What's your view of the candidates?

alfred russel

The real frontrunner right now--going by betting markets--is Rubio. (of course the true frontrunner is Clinton, but that may not be in the spirit of the discussion  :P)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

jimmy olsen

Sanders looking like he has a bit of a chance again.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/01/10/clinton_sanders_essentially_tied_in_iowa_new_hampshire.html
With three weeks to go until voters will finally begin to have their say in the presidential nominating contest, Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders look set for a photo finish in both Iowa and New Hampshire. Clinton holds a tiny three-point lead—48 percent to 45 percent—over Sanders among likely Democratic caucusgoers in Iowa, according to the latest NBC News/Wall Street Journal/Marist poll. Clinton's lead is well within the 4.8-point margin of error for the poll. The slim margin between the two Democratic hopefuls is surprising because it's much smaller than other polls have suggested. The RealClearPolitics average of surveys puts Clinton's lead in Iowa at 10.6 points. 

In New Hampshire, where the race has long been more competitive, Sanders is leading Clinton by four points—50 percent to 46 percent. But that is also within the poll's margin of error.
The two state polls "underscore the challenge facing Mrs. Clinton in the first two nominating states, despite her commanding lead in most national polls," notes the Wall Street Journal.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

I'm not sure which would be better - if Trump fails to win the nomination and I can see some sweet right winger tears OR if Trump got elected and wasn't able to deliver on all his campaign promises. The catch with the second one is that I'd have to be hoping the sitting president fails and that just isn't in my nature.

A few months ago Trey Gowdy was one of the sweet hearts of the Tea Party movement. His failure to land Hillary Clinton in jail has earned him RINO status with some of the more conservative circles, especially after he endorsed Rubio.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on January 12, 2016, 02:59:12 AM
A few months ago Trey Gowdy was one of the sweet hearts of the Tea Party movement. His failure to land Hillary Clinton in jail has earned him RINO status with some of the more conservative circles, especially after he endorsed Rubio.

:lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 12, 2016, 02:15:41 AM
Sanders looking like he has a bit of a chance again.

I saw that. I just gave him 10 bucks because it's a better waste of money than the lottery and also bought one of his shirts for the sake of future retro-ness.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Phillip V

Cruz momentum seems to be flagging.  Romney would have loved to have Trump's poll numbers this election cycle.  I am starting to believe that Trump might just indeed sweep Iowa, New Hampshire, and beyond.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/2016_republican_presidential_nomination-3823.html