Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on January 11, 2016, 02:41:48 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 11, 2016, 12:29:21 PM
Echoes of Pink in the film 'The Wall'.  :bowler:

In fact, this weekend I was over at a friend of mine's for dinner, and they were bitching about the scary-ness of the US election (his wife's Muslim, so they both feel strongly about it - even though it's in another country), and we agreed that his behavior in public rallies looked like that "get him up against the wall!" scene.  :lol:

When was the last time people (US citizens and foreigners) didn't cry about a US election? And yet despite all the terror, we still have yet to all go to hell in a hand basket.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2016, 03:06:47 PM
When was the last time people (US citizens and foreigners) didn't cry about a US election? And yet despite all the terror, we still have yet to all go to hell in a hand basket.

Easy for you to say, you already fled the country!

garbon

And I'll still be paying my taxes come April. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on January 11, 2016, 03:03:32 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 11, 2016, 03:00:04 PM
I think that at this point if Trump takes out his wiener during a rally and starts masturbating, his faithful will view it as just one more example of his authenticity.

He is really old, and rather out of shape. Do you think he is capable?
He's in astonishing health, it shouldn't be a problem.

garbon

Why are you all about presidential (and wannabe presidential) penises?

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2016, 03:13:17 PM
I think about things most people don't.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on January 11, 2016, 03:21:35 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2016, 03:13:17 PM
I think about things most people don't.

So you going to think about Hil's vajayjay if she becomes president?

Admiral Yi

Thank God we have Grab On here to keep us current with the cutting edge Stanford street slang.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2016, 03:06:47 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 11, 2016, 02:41:48 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 11, 2016, 12:29:21 PM
Echoes of Pink in the film 'The Wall'.  :bowler:

In fact, this weekend I was over at a friend of mine's for dinner, and they were bitching about the scary-ness of the US election (his wife's Muslim, so they both feel strongly about it - even though it's in another country), and we agreed that his behavior in public rallies looked like that "get him up against the wall!" scene.  :lol:

Actually, I asked my parents about that. They have long memories, and have at times lived in the US. I asked them if there was ever an election in which one of the parties ran a slate as consistently bizarre and insane as today's Republicans - and they sad no, not by a long shot.

What about Goldwater? People called him nuts in his day. No, apparently he was an Einstein compared with these current guys.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on January 11, 2016, 04:35:10 PM
Actually, I asked my parents about that. They have long memories, and have at times lived in the US. I asked them if there was ever an election in which one of the parties ran a slate as consistently bizarre and insane as today's Republicans - and they sad no, not by a long shot.

What about Goldwater? People called him nuts in his day. No, apparently he was an Einstein compared with these current guys.

George Wallace and Henry Wallace.  Didn't one of the Longs make a run at the Democratic nomination?

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 11, 2016, 04:48:11 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 11, 2016, 04:35:10 PM

George Wallace and Henry Wallace.  Didn't one of the Longs make a run at the Democratic nomination?

The issue isn't that there have been people with nasty views; it is that the entire slate is filled with people who are seemingly nuts as front-runners.

George Wallace was originally a segregationist (though he later recanted), but he was a longtime Governor and presumably not totally nuts. Henry Wallace ran for a third-party, so doesn't count on the "Kang vs. Kodos" principle.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on January 11, 2016, 04:59:28 PM
The issue isn't that there have been people with nasty views; it is that the entire slate is filled with people who are seemingly nuts as front-runners.

George Wallace was originally a segregationist (though he later recanted), but he was a longtime Governor and presumably not totally nuts. Henry Wallace ran for a third-party, so doesn't count on the "Kang vs. Kodos" principle.  ;)

Henry Wallace started out contesting the Democratic nomination IIRC.

DGuller

I think Malthus's point is not that crazy candidates haven't fought for nomination before, but rather that never before had the entire slate of candidates been so crazy.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 11, 2016, 05:06:52 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 11, 2016, 04:59:28 PM

Henry Wallace started out contesting the Democratic nomination IIRC.

Wiki says otherwise (though before that he was a democratic VP, and in Roosevelt and Truman's cabinets).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.