News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Romney's Mormonism was a bigger deal in the primaries. In the general election, conservative Christians are going to bite their tongue and vote for the social conservative candidate even if he's a Mormon or a Jew.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on January 05, 2016, 09:25:15 PM
Okay, a little dippy commentary by me on this article.  It's been a long time since anyone has pointed an accusatory finger and said "Catholic" in American politics, but apparently there's a whispering campaign going on suggest Ted Cruz is really a Crypto-Catholic.  As weird and stupid as that is.

Back in the day, I was reading a notre dame football forum. Some dude went on a rant about how all the anti notre dame sentiment in the country is a result of anti catholicism. A debate ensued over whether this was the case.

I thought it was one of the dumbest ideas I had ever heard (coming from a very catholic but very anti notre dame family).But I posted under a new account in a new thread that I used to respect Notre Dame, until I found out the truth about the Catholic Church, such as how they have their priests wear dresses, get boys to wear dresses too and they are routinely raped by the priests, masses involve pretending to cannibalize jesus, etc.

The people arguing that anti notre dame sentiment was a result of anti catholicism were triumphant. "There you have it" they said. In reality, I was a notre dame student/ recent grad (can't remember which at the time) and nominal catholic.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 05, 2016, 09:47:27 PM
Kennedy's Catholicism was a big deal at the time.

My father, who was around during the election, always said he felt Catholicism helped Kennedy. There were some people that were unwilling to vote for a Catholic, but not too many -- even in the 20s a catholic candidate carried a bunch of southern states. On the other hand, it was like the election was like the super bowl for catholics.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on January 05, 2016, 10:58:24 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 05, 2016, 09:47:27 PM
Kennedy's Catholicism was a big deal at the time.

My father, who was around during the election, always said he felt Catholicism helped Kennedy. There were some people that were unwilling to vote for a Catholic, but not too many -- even in the 20s a catholic candidate carried a bunch of southern states. On the other hand, it was like the election was like the super bowl for catholics.

I think Kennedy's Catholicism was a big deal to start out with for the media, until the media realized that most voters didn't much care.

The Minsky Moment

QuoteAnd a pair of back-of-the-pack contenders, Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum, charge that Cruz is prioritizing wrong-headed Constitutional commitments over long-held Christian ones.

Incredible to say given the presence of Trump, Carson, and Cruz, but that line may take the prize for most screwed up pronouncement this campaign season.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Do those two bozos even count?  I think you need to get on the main debate stage before the vile shit you spew should warrant any kind of response.  Just for the sake of limiting the amount of vile shit people have to process.

Phillip V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 05, 2016, 10:27:44 PM
Romney's Mormonism was a bigger deal in the primaries. In the general election, conservative Christians are going to bite their tongue and vote for the social conservative candidate even if he's a Mormon or a Jew.
I thought more white Christians stayed home in 2012 than in 2008?  They just were not as excited for Romney while record numbers of blacks and other minorities again came out for Obama.

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on January 05, 2016, 10:54:46 PM
Okay, a little dippy commentary by me on this article.  It's been a long time since anyone has pointed an accusatory finger and said "Catholic" in American politics, but apparently there's a whispering campaign going on suggest Ted Cruz is really a Crypto-Catholic.  As weird and stupid as that is.

Back in the day, I was reading a notre dame football forum. Some dude went on a rant about how all the anti notre dame sentiment in the country is a result of anti catholicism. A debate ensued over whether this was the case.

I thought it was one of the dumbest ideas I had ever heard (coming from a very catholic but very anti notre dame family).But I posted under a new account in a new thread that I used to respect Notre Dame, until I found out the truth about the Catholic Church, such as how they have their priests wear dresses, get boys to wear dresses too and they are routinely raped by the priests, masses involve pretending to cannibalize jesus, etc.

The people arguing that anti notre dame sentiment was a result of anti catholicism were triumphant. "There you have it" they said. In reality, I was a notre dame student/ recent grad (can't remember which at the time) and nominal catholic.

You are really weird.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/01/06/you-asked-donald-trump-answered/?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

QuoteOn Tuesday, we asked you to submit questions for Donald Trump. During his visit to the editorial board, he picked one of your questions from a hat to answer on camera. Watch his response below:

Transcript

Donald Trump: All right. This is from Henry: "You have said you want to make America great again. In your view, in what specific year in the past was America at its greatest?"

Well we've had periods. I wouldn't like to say years, I'd like to say periods.

I think during the Ronald Reagan years we were very good. We had a good something special going on then.

People felt proud to be an American, they felt proud to be in the country. So I say, during that term, during that period of years — if you remember with Iran, with the prisoners, where we couldn't get them back from Jimmy Carter, and Ronald Reagan said 'They will be back' and we all of a sudden got them back. We felt good about our country during the Ronald Reagan period.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

McCain spoke up to say we should investigate whether Cruz can be considered a natural born citizen. :lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2016, 12:52:24 PM
McCain spoke up to say we should investigate whether Cruz can be considered a natural born citizen. :lol:

Curious, since McCain wasn't even born in the US either. :hmm:

But really, you guys really should get rid of that natural born citizen clause.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on January 07, 2016, 01:02:31 PM

I don't trust people born by C section or conceived through IVF.

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on January 07, 2016, 01:56:42 PM

I don't trust people born by C section or conceived through IVF.

No true lover of democracy could support a Ceasarian!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2016, 12:52:24 PM

Curious, since McCain wasn't even born in the US either. :hmm:

I don't know. There is always a chance we might elect the King of England President.

It did create this really perverse thing with this Birther explaining that Natural Born meant that it was citizenship granted by God while being naturalized meant you were given citizenship by man :lol:

I was like has it come to this that Americans are advancing a Royalist ideology? Valmy, Dei Gratia Civis Americanus -_-

I did not mean to suggest that Birthers generally felt this way but it was hilarious to hear one guy say that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

It's keeping Ahnold from becoming President and that's good enough for me.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?