News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 24, 2015, 08:48:28 AM
He mentioned that if he wasn't in the top 3 in Iowa he'd drop out. Maybe that's what Cal saw?
Maybe, but I'm certain it was an article that said he'd withdrawn.  I should have cut and pasted it here. <_<
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on December 24, 2015, 09:55:18 AM
I'd like to point out at this point that the favorite for the GOP nomination is....Marco Rubio.

Here is a summary of the betting odds:

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/republican-candidate

Rubio is the most likely winner, with Cruz and Trump not far behind (Trump generally just above Cruz). Then you have Bush at about 9 to 1, and Christie at about 12 to 1. Everyone else is a super long shot.

He's been quite stagnant in the polls and doesn't have a good ground game in Iowa and New Hampshire from all reports.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 24, 2015, 10:38:11 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 24, 2015, 09:55:18 AM
I'd like to point out at this point that the favorite for the GOP nomination is....Marco Rubio.

Here is a summary of the betting odds:

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/republican-candidate

Rubio is the most likely winner, with Cruz and Trump not far behind (Trump generally just above Cruz). Then you have Bush at about 9 to 1, and Christie at about 12 to 1. Everyone else is a super long shot.

He's been quite stagnant in the polls and doesn't have a good ground game in Iowa and New Hampshire from all reports.

Polls in December don't determine the nominee. I believe he has the best favorability vs unfavorability rating in the field, polls better than the other "establishment" candidates, and seems the most likely candidate for traditional voters to coalesce around.

Your boy Nate Silver in particular seems convinced that Trump is not in a good position to get the nomination at this point, and is something of a long shot.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on December 24, 2015, 10:56:33 AM
Your boy Nate Silver in particular seems convinced that Trump is not in a good position to get the nomination at this point, and is something of a long shot.
It's always very dangerous to discount Nate Silver, but he's not a fortune teller.  Statistics, when used competently, can be a powerful tool to extract predictive information from the past, but they're no silver bullet when conditions change drastically from the past.  Trump has defied a lot of historical patterns already.  Maybe it was dumb luck so far and it's bound to run out, maybe he figured out something no one else ever did, or maybe we live in special times with special rules.  I wouldn't just assume it's #1.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Phillip V

Christie and Rubio need Cruz to to beat Trump in Iowa in order to make New Hampshire a toss up between Rubio, Christie, Cruz, and Trump.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Now Pataki is OUT! :o What the hell is going on?

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on December 30, 2015, 08:56:35 AM

Who?

I had to google to find out who he was.  :Embarrass:

Though in my defence, plently of americans hadn't heard of him or didn't care either:

George Pataki once got to 3 percent!

In the 221 polls that asked about Pataki, he registered 0 percent 149 times. He earned more than 1 percent just 10 times and more than 2 percent only once.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/george-pataki-drops-out-republican-presidential-race/
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Do you remember all the pictures of Giuliani on 9/11?  Pataki is the tall guy in the background of some of them.

Razgovory

Anyway, I think it's fair that if Trump wins the the Republican nomination it's Guller's fault.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on December 30, 2015, 09:16:42 AM
Anyway, I think it's fair that if Trump wins the the Republican nomination it's Guller's fault.
:huh: What the fuck did I do?

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on December 30, 2015, 09:19:29 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 30, 2015, 09:16:42 AM
:huh: What the fuck did I do?

Proximity.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on December 30, 2015, 08:56:35 AM

I knew that I felt a slight ripple in the Force....   :ph34r: