News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Well, I guess you're right, 9/11 did have an impact not too dissimilar from San Bernardino.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on December 16, 2015, 12:55:02 AM
I was not talking about the number of terrorist attacks since the declaration of independence.  The one and only attack that made everyone suddenly desperate for effective reassurance is the San Bernardino attack.

What's the line between "desperate for reassurance," "cowardice," and "state of scaredness" on the one hand and reasonable caution on the other?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2015, 02:20:15 AM
Quote from: DGuller on December 16, 2015, 12:55:02 AM
I was not talking about the number of terrorist attacks since the declaration of independence.  The one and only attack that made everyone suddenly desperate for effective reassurance is the San Bernardino attack.

What's the line between "desperate for reassurance," "cowardice," and "state of scaredness" on the one hand and reasonable caution on the other?
Well, I don't know exactly where it is, but if we start where we are right now, and then move a couple of time zones, then we may start approaching it.

sbr

I agree that it seems weird how hot and bothered people are over San Bernardino.  The other 364 mass shootings this year barely make a blip on the radar, but put a headscarf on someone and suddenly it's all Fucking Fuck all over the place, with a huge portion of the population ready to give up everyone's everyone else's rights again.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2015, 12:43:21 AM
Quote from: Jacob on December 16, 2015, 12:32:57 AM
That doesn't seem that big a number compared to the number of non-Islamic mass shootings in the same time span.

It's a bigger number than the one that Guller mentioned.

Yeah, but it nonetheless makes the intense reaction seem absurd given the number of mass shootings regularly occuring in the US.

KRonn

Quote from: sbr on December 16, 2015, 09:03:19 AM
I agree that it seems weird how hot and bothered people are over San Bernardino.  The other 364 mass shootings this year barely make a blip on the radar, but put a headscarf on someone and suddenly it's all Fucking Fuck all over the place, with a huge portion of the population ready to give up everyone's everyone else's rights again.

There haven't been over 300 mass shootings in the US this year. The US actually ranks about the same as the EU in mass shootings, but we have more gun crime. Most of those 300+ that are counted as mass shootings are gun crime, gangs, etc. If we had so many mass shootings at schools and such we'd be in a daze every day from it. That said, we do have too much gun crime but to say they're mass shootings like at schools or San Bernadino distorts things. Even though US gun crime/killings has dropped by about 50% over two decades we still have too much of it.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on December 16, 2015, 10:49:17 AM
That doesn't seem that big a number compared to the number of non-Islamic mass shootings in the same time span.

Yeah, but it nonetheless makes the intense reaction seem absurd given the number of mass shootings regularly occuring in the US.

I think that is why there is an intense reaction.  This is one shooting that can capitalize on.  If the shooters were not Muslims nobody would give a shit.  We've had a lot of mass shootings this year.  Three had a political aspect to them and I suppose can be labeled "terrorism".  The assassination of Clementa C Pinckney, the abortion clinic attack and the San Bernadino attack.  The first two are sort of an embarrassment, the last one is mana from heaven.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on December 16, 2015, 10:54:41 AM

There haven't been over 300 mass shootings in the US this year. The US actually ranks about the same as the EU in mass shootings, but we have more gun crime. Most of those 300+ that are counted as mass shootings are gun crime, gangs, etc. If we had so many mass shootings at schools and such we'd be in a daze every day from it. That said, we do have too much gun crime but to say they're mass shootings like at schools or San Bernadino distorts things. Even though US gun crime/killings has dropped by about 50% over two decades we still have too much of it.

Okay, who told you this?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Yes it does. This, combined with the anti-refugee shit, leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Quote from: Razgovory on December 16, 2015, 11:08:23 AM
Quote from: KRonn on December 16, 2015, 10:54:41 AM

Okay, who told you this?

News reports and the FBI's own crime stats.

MadImmortalMan

How about we stop locking our kids into institutions where they can't pee without permission and a cop looking over their shoulder?

Fuck the guns. The kids' problem is the schools.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on December 16, 2015, 11:14:45 AM

News reports and the FBI's own crime stats.

Gun crime has fallen in the last 30 years but the big change was in the 1990's, not that recent.  I'm not sure why you make the distinction between gang shootings and mass shootings.  Certainly mass shootings are about numbers not intent.  Here is a list of multiple victim shootings in the US this year http://www.shootingtracker.com/wiki/Mass_Shootings_in_2015#cite_note-4

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2015, 11:10:38 AM
Yes it does. This, combined with the anti-refugee shit, leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Yup, it's not exactly encouraging.

Admiral Yi

What intense reaction are you talking about?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2015, 01:20:30 PM

What intense reaction are you talking about?

I imagine stuff like Trump saying he wouldn't let any Muslims in the country.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?