Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: KRonn on September 18, 2015, 10:21:36 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 18, 2015, 09:20:46 AM
Quote from: KRonn on September 18, 2015, 09:16:27 AM
I like Fiorina well enough, she's sharp and speaks well on issues. She also seems very confident and strong minded. She's been able to address the HP stuff but her opponents will play that up all they can, so I'm not so worried about that. It's still early yet, but it's good to see Carly getting some good attention.

She constantly lies. I mean obvious lies. Especially about her HP stuff. I guess that is par for the course for politicians but if you are going to lie about your past, instead of what your intentions are for the future, at least be charming about it.

I felt she's answered questions about her HP time pretty well. She was in a top position and that's always a tough place to be, especially when a company goes through big changes, transitions or mergers. But if I do find that she is lying so much then that would impact how I feel about her honesty on the current issues she talks about.
Ahem, the big changes and mergers the company was going through was because of her decisions.  And yeah, her selective spinning of HP numbers is so selective that only the stupid will classify that as anything other than outright lying.

DGuller

I think Carly, like Ben Carson, are token GOP candidates who are currently enjoying a good run until things get serious, with the helping hand of media that likes to manipulate such things to make them more exciting to report on.  Neither of them are serious candidates, and they will quickly fade.  Trump may or may not be in the same category (I suspect that he isn't).

Speaking of the media, one amusing thing I noticed is how after Trump's comments about Fiorina, almost every story that features her now features a very carefully selected picture of her.  At just the right angle, with the right level of lighting.

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on September 18, 2015, 10:55:56 AM
I like Fiorina well enough, she's sharp and speaks well on issues. She also seems very confident and strong minded. She's been able to address the HP stuff but her opponents will play that up all they can, so I'm not so worried about that. It's still early yet, but it's good to see Carly getting some good attention.

She constantly lies. I mean obvious lies. Especially about her HP stuff. I guess that is par for the course for politicians but if you are going to lie about your past, instead of what your intentions are for the future, at least be charming about it.

I felt she's answered questions about her HP time pretty well. She was in a top position and that's always a tough place to be, especially when a company goes through big changes, transitions or mergers. But if I do find that she is lying so much then that would impact how I feel about her honesty on the current issues she talks about.
Ahem, the big changes and mergers the company was going through was because of her decisions.  And yeah, her selective spinning of HP numbers is so selective that only the stupid will classify that as anything other than outright lying.

If that's accurate, and I'm not doubting your sincerity, just that things can get reported differently. But if it's accurate then she'll get hit hard with it by her opponents and their PACs, and it'll hurt her. I think right now it's early and that doesn't yet matter as much because she's been sounding good and doing very well in debates.

KRonn

Quote from: celedhring on September 18, 2015, 02:04:25 AM
What will she run on? No political experience and she's pretty vulnerable on the "will run the country efficiently like I ran my companies" angle.

Right now many people are sick, tired, angry and untrusting of the political types in Washington and those running for office, and aren't too enamored of the usual political candidates. That's a big part of why Sanders, Carson, Fiorina and Trump are doing well right now. I happen to think there are some good candidates running but all the media air gets sucked up by Trump.

The Minsky Moment

Fiorina IIRC was the main mover behind the Compaq deal and its hard to spin that positively.  Her tenure at Lucent was also controversial as Lucent did heavy vendor finance deals that ended up being badly impaired once the dotcom boom ended.

I don't think her problems at HP disqualify her but they certainly aren't a positive demonstration of her suitability as POTUS.  And she doesn't seem to have anything else going for her.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Fate

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 18, 2015, 12:39:36 PM
Fiorina IIRC was the main mover behind the Compaq deal and its hard to spin that positively.  Her tenure at Lucent was also controversial as Lucent did heavy vendor finance deals that ended up being badly impaired once the dotcom boom ended.

I don't think her problems at HP disqualify her but they certainly aren't a positive demonstration of her suitability as POTUS.  And she doesn't seem to have anything else going for her.

She's the only woman on a stage with eight men who don't exactly stand out and Donald Trump. That alone will keep her going in the polls.

Berkut

Quote from: KRonn on September 18, 2015, 11:58:54 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 18, 2015, 10:55:56 AM

If that's accurate, and I'm not doubting your sincerity, just that things can get reported differently. But if it's accurate then she'll get hit hard with it by her opponents and their PACs, and it'll hurt her. I think right now it's early and that doesn't yet matter as much because she's been sounding good and doing very well in debates.

It is DG talking about politics, and about a Republican. I am not saying he is not truthful, but what he posts is driven by the outcome he desires, not by any kind of objective evaluation of the candidate.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Yeah, I worked for HP a bit before she took over, and knew a lot of people at HP while she was there.

I don't really understand what possible qualification she has for being president. Frankly, running a big company *well* is not really much of a qualification, much less being, at best, mediocre at it.

What else does she have that makes her a candidate?

Of course, the same question can be asked of most of the Republican field, I suppose.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

My aunt worked for Fiorina at HP (she was one of her Controllers).  I should ask her what she thinks about Fiorina. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Caliga

I think these types of questions usually are plants from the other party.  That said, it doesn't excuse him for not correcting the questioner.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on September 18, 2015, 01:30:25 PM
I think these types of questions usually are plants from the other party.  That said, it doesn't excuse him for not correcting the questioner.

If the dude was a plant he deserves an Oscar.

Caliga

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on September 18, 2015, 01:08:03 PM

Yeah, I worked for HP a bit before she took over, and knew a lot of people at HP while she was there.

I don't really understand what possible qualification she has for being president. Frankly, running a big company *well* is not really much of a qualification, much less being, at best, mediocre at it.

What else does she have that makes her a candidate?

Of course, the same question can be asked of most of the Republican field, I suppose.

The serious answer is that it's her work since leaving HP in 2005.

She wrote a book (apparantly she has a few), served on some corporate boards, did some work for Fox Business News, and has been very busy on the speaking circuit. 

POlitically, she chaired Republican fund-raising efforts in the 2008 election, served as chair of the CIA External Advisory Board, and ran for the Senate in 2008.

Now you're free to say that, too, doesn't qualify one to be President, but it's hard to say what exactly those qualifications are or should be.  I mean the last three Presidents were the junior senator from Illinois, a governor from Texas just into his second term, and the former governor of tiny Arkansas.

What her qualifications seem to be are a mixture of Ben Carson's inspiring biography and speaking tour experience (one time law firm receptionist turned Fortune 500 CEO), part Trump's business experience, and mixed with enough inside-politics connections and knowledge to be able to run a viable, professional campaign.

I'm not being a Fiorina schill here.  It's just to say that looking solely at her time as HP CEO is missing a big part of the picture.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on September 18, 2015, 01:39:36 PM
Why?  Haven't watched the clip. :blush:

:frusty:

FYI, campaign mouthpiece is claiming the Donald didn't hear all  of the question.