Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on September 17, 2015, 10:27:56 AM
This article from CNN depressed me:

QuoteHow Trump's bumptious body language dominates

CNN)For anyone who watched Wednesday night's Republican primary debate with the volume turned down, there was a clear winner, communication experts say: Donald Trump, hands down.

"When it comes to body language, nobody does it better," says David Givens, director of the Center for Nonverbal Studies in Spokane, Washington. "He just neutralizes the opposition."

While Trump's opponents appear to be "wooden," Givens says, Trump is "exceptional" at communicating with his body.

"Nobody has done it this well since John F. Kennedy. Or Mussolini," Givens says, referring to the founder of Fascism, who ruled Italy from 1922 to 1943.

Have we actually reached the point where the average CNN reader doesn't know who Benito Mussolini was?   :(

Probably the majority of people in most Western countries.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

To be fair, they often will explain things that the general public should know.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

The Economist is good with that. "Apple, a computer company, ..." (this was many years ago).

mongers

So who's it likely to be, Trump vs 141.101.89.23 (Clinton's email server)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

No idea. Nobody has even voted yet  :lol:

The whole circus is so absurd.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2015, 09:59:32 AM
He needs to keep his skills at master debating at home.

His skills at flashing likewise.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

CNN)For anyone who watched Wednesday night's Republican primary debate with the volume turned down, there was a clear winner, communication experts say: Donald Trump, hands down.

"When it comes to body language, nobody does it better," says David Givens, director of the Center for Nonverbal Studies in Spokane, Washington. "He just neutralizes the opposition."

While Trump's opponents appear to be "wooden," Givens says, Trump is "exceptional" at communicating with his body.

"Nobody has done it this well since John F. Kennedy. Or Mussolini," Givens says, referring to the founder of Fascism, who ruled Italy from 1922 to 1943.

Have we actually reached the point where the average CNN reader doesn't know who Benito Mussolini was?   :(

Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy. You in America will see that some day.

My guess is the author welcomed the opportunity to introduce the word "fascism" and a WWII axis reference into a quote about Trump.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 16, 2015, 09:58:48 PM
"Margaret Thatcher"
:bleeding:

What could be more American than putting a British peer on the currency?   :rolleyes:
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on September 17, 2015, 04:00:02 PM

Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy. You in America will see that some day.

My guess is the author welcomed the opportunity to introduce the word "fascism" and a WWII axis reference into a quote about Trump.

CNN are n00bs. Swedish media has already established that Trump is Hitler.

The Brain

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Savonarola

Quote from: The Brain on September 17, 2015, 04:41:44 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 17, 2015, 04:00:02 PM

CNN are n00bs. Swedish media has already established that Trump is Hitler.

So you're ramping up production of ball bearings then? 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

HisMajestyBOB

Quick recap video in case you missed it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQeqJng5vq8
Worth checking out the highlights.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

Fiorina vs. Clinton?  :hmm:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/political-animal-a/2015_09/finally_the_gop_establishment057655.php
QuoteFinally, the GOP Establishment Has a Candidate They Can Embrace
By Nancy LeTourneau

In terms of last night's Republican debate, this is an instance where conventional wisdom is probably right...Carly Fiorina "won." And while I am usually loath to make political predictions, I think its a pretty sure bet that over the next couple of weeks we'll see that translated into rising poll numbers.

What's interesting about this is that the Republican base has been itching to support a political "outsider" - which has put them at odds with establishment love for candidates like Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio (the latter of whom also helped himself with his performance last night). But based on what I'm reading this morning, it looks like the establishment has finally found an outsider they can embrace in Carly Fiorina.

Last night Fiorina was articulate, forceful and came off as "presidential." In doing so, she demonstrated that there is a clear policy vacuum when it comes to Donald Trump. I have no doubt that his hardcore nativist base will continue to support him. But there is now some very real competition for those Republicans who have been uncomfortable with his candidacy.

As Democrats, last night gave us some good insight about Carly Fiorina. While being articulate, she was grossly negligent when it came to facts. Steve Benen did a good job of summarizing that (click on the links for the specifics).

Her rhetoric about Planned Parenthood was plainly at odds with reality. She said it takes "two-thirds of the states" to ratify a constitutional amendment, but it actually takes three-fourths. Her comments about the criminal justice system were simply untrue. She insisted that Democrats, who've been pleading with Republicans for years to pass immigration reform, "don't want" to pass immigration reform. Her defense of her failed tenure at HP was hard to take seriously. Her rhetoric about foreign policy was "bizarre."

So what does that tell us about Fiorina? It's obvious that she's a smart woman and prepared very well for this debate. So I doubt that any of those arguments were based on ignorance. What it tells us about her is that she is a gifted liar (I'd suggest, the best on that stage last night) - and is not real worried about being outed as such. After all...the Republicans have shown over and over again that they are in an age of "truthiness." In other words, if it sounds good and reinforces my biases, it must be true.

Last night Carly Fiorina put on a masterful performance. I don't know that it means she'll get the nomination. But I doubt she'll be making the kinds of gaffes/mistakes that sunk the candidacies of people like Rick Perry and Herman Cain last time around. And she has a lot of potential to bridge the gap that has developed between the Republican base and establishment. That means she'll be one of the "top tier" contenders for a while.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point