2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2015, 01:28:46 PM
That's not a logical interpretation of that sentence.

If someone were to say "Whitey McCracker should talk to whites about white racism" no one would assume that meant that every single white was racist.

Absolutely, I didn't mean it that way.  I meant that somehow there is this black community that every black person is apart of and therefore it is their responsibility to address these problems.  I mean sure there are some specific communities that are overwhelmingly black that might have some issues.  Like I am a member of this white community and therefore I have an obligation to go around cleaning up all the racist parts of it.

Did Bill Cosby's callouts really have that big of an impact?  He just seemed like a grumpy old man upset it was not 1940s Philadelphia anymore.

But even if Obama did want to do something like this I think it would be better to do it as an ex-President anyway.  Right now he is supposed to be everybody's leader not a black leader.  Every time he has addressed a racial issue it has not gone well for him politically for that reason, I think.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2015, 01:28:46 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2015, 01:25:35 PM
It says it right there in the article.

Quotetalking to "African American men about the large incidence of crime" committed by African American men.

'You African American men need to stop committing so many crimes' I mean come on.

That's not a logical interpretation of that sentence.

If someone were to say "Whitey McCracker should talk to whites about white racism" no one would assume that meant that every single white was racist.

The way you have reworded, it, no.  Use the original wording, and it reads: "talking to white men about the large incidence of racism exhibited by white men."  In that wording you absolutely are implying that those white men are racists.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

The only novel thing about Cosby's speeches was that white people noticed.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2015, 04:04:34 PM
Well that was not what I intended.

I wasn't saying anything about what you intended. I was referring to the wording in the original article.  I agree with your interpretation, in fact.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 13, 2015, 04:05:18 PM
That, and the fact that he was willing to say the un-PC truth.

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on March 13, 2015, 04:36:54 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 13, 2015, 04:05:18 PM
That, and the fact that he was willing to say the un-PC truth.
But loads of black people had been saying what he was saying for years. He just got attention and adulation for it.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 13, 2015, 04:39:25 PM
But loads of black people had been saying what he was saying for years. He just got attention and adulation for it.

Black communities are constantly and consistently addressing the issue of black crime in black neighborhoods every day, from churches to neighborhood communities to schools.   But not everybody lives in that world every day--and nationally-recognized names like Bill Cosby, or nationally-recognized organizations like Rainbow Coalition, get the nationally-recognized headlines that grass-roots community activists don't.

White people notice what Bill Cosby has to say in a New York Times op-ed;  they don't always notice what's going on every day in cities at the neighborhood level, where communities work the problem every day, block by block.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 13, 2015, 04:49:33 PM

Black communities are constantly and consistently addressing the issue of black crime in black neighborhoods every day, from churches to neighborhood communities to schools.   But not everybody lives in that world every day--and nationally-recognized names like Bill Cosby, or nationally-recognized organizations like Rainbow Coalition, get the nationally-recognized headlines that grass-roots community activists don't.

White people notice what Bill Cosby has to say in a New York Times op-ed;  they don't always notice what's going on every day in cities at the neighborhood level, where communities work the problem every day, block by block.

It doesn't seem to be working.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

Fair enough and you're right. But from what I know there's nothing new in his message compared to Washington or Garvey or Malcolm X, or that it's somehow  a shocking, unheard of sentiment:
http://www.pewresearch.org/2008/07/14/obamas-black-audience/ (I'd be intrigued to see those trust in the police figures now)

But it's Giuliani I suppose.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on March 13, 2015, 06:01:35 PM
It doesn't seem to be working.

Violent crime statistics have been dropping in predominantly black communities at the same rate as violent crime statistics everywhere else.  But no, I suppose it wouldn't "seem" to be working, as anything otherwise would affect the narrative.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on March 13, 2015, 06:15:58 PM

*picture of blissfully ignorant white couple driving and texting*

Don't you have a citation to write for that, base cop?

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 13, 2015, 06:47:54 PM

:huh: No, they're white.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 13, 2015, 06:47:54 PM

Huh?  You can't text as a passenger now?