News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

It's awfully early KRonn.  There are doubtless many people exploring the advisability of setting up exploratory committees.

Sheilbh

Quote from: dps on February 14, 2015, 06:23:02 PM
For the political professionals, electioneering never ends.  I suspect that's as true in the UK as in the US, despite the vastly different voting systems.
I think less so given that we don't have elections every two years.

QuoteWhy is it that no other Dems are even attempting to run against Hillary? She's been the anointed one but she also was in 2008 and she lost. I don't think she's really even a strong candidate and won't automatically fare well vs the Repub candidate, so I'm surprised that other Dems don't feel the same way and run against her to give their party more flexibility, better their chances to gain the White House.
It's still early. This summer is when we'll see. Biden, O'Malley, Webb and Klobuchar all look like they're gearing up.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 13, 2015, 12:01:16 PM
God willing :w00t: :wub:

Edit: And yes. Laying out his case in Iowa recently :w00t:

I have never seen a vice president who was more of a non-entity then Biden.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

I don't trust your judgement <_<

I think Biden's the third quite important VP in a row actually. Maybe the nature of the office is changing.
Let's bomb Russia!

KRonn

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 14, 2015, 10:33:09 PM

QuoteWhy is it that no other Dems are even attempting to run against Hillary? She's been the anointed one but she also was in 2008 and she lost. I don't think she's really even a strong candidate and won't automatically fare well vs the Repub candidate, so I'm surprised that other Dems don't feel the same way and run against her to give their party more flexibility, better their chances to gain the White House.
It's still early. This summer is when we'll see. Biden, O'Malley, Webb and Klobuchar all look like they're gearing up.

Yeah, maybe so, and it is early, but it just seems so quiet on the Dem front, especially compared to the Republican party which has too many looking to run.

KRonn

Quote from: Razgovory on February 14, 2015, 10:38:01 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 13, 2015, 12:01:16 PM
God willing :w00t: :wub:

Edit: And yes. Laying out his case in Iowa recently :w00t:

I have never seen a vice president who was more of a non-entity then Biden.

Biden can be a strong politician but he has the reputation of being a buffoon, too often sticking his foot in mouth, etc. I really don't think he'll do well in a run if he decides to go for it, or at least IMO he'd be one of the weaker candidates.

Sheilbh

Part of that's inevitable because the Democrats have such an overwhelming front-runner. It's a less interesting story than a very open race.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I notice Shrillary hasn't been flapping her gums too much recently about arming Syrian bakers and dentists.

Sheilbh

Quote from: KRonn on February 14, 2015, 10:42:03 PM
Biden can be a strong politician but he has the reputation of being a buffoon, too often sticking his foot in mouth, etc. I really don't think he'll do well in a run if he decides to go for it, or at least IMO he'd be one of the weaker candidates.
Republicans do it and they're folksy. I mean Christ, Perry's thinking of running again :bleeding: <_<

I agree, but it's a real shame that Biden won't get a look-in because an accomplished guy.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2015, 10:44:00 PM
I notice Shrillary hasn't been flapping her gums too much recently about arming Syrian bakers and dentists.
:bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 14, 2015, 10:42:46 PM
Part of that's inevitable because the Democrats have such an overwhelming front-runner. It's a less interesting story than a very open race.

Of course the Republican race is so open because all of the choices are so ghastly.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Ghastly for you, I think for most Republicans there are some good and exciting options. Then, most Republicans aren't gay, black and looking forward to living in Europe.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.