News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 13, 2015, 11:49:56 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 13, 2015, 11:43:34 PM
The Republicans have a very strong list of potential candidates from all sorts of wings of their party.

How many wings have you counted? :unsure:
I don't know. But off the top of my head:
Old School Establishment - Bush.
Reformist - Walker.
Full Tea Party - Cruz.
Paul - Paul.
Populist/Social Conservative - Huckabee.
Populist/Moderate-ish - Christie.

As I say that seems like a solid list of potential candidates - ignoring others like Rubio. All parts of the GOP have at least one candidate that they actually like and lots of others that they respect.  Romney's only previously won his party's heart when the alternatives were Santorum or Gingrich. He's dislikeable enough to reconcile the GOP to McCain :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Remarkable how similar the rhetoric of politicians in those distinct wings is.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 13, 2015, 11:57:21 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 13, 2015, 11:49:56 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 13, 2015, 11:43:34 PM
The Republicans have a very strong list of potential candidates from all sorts of wings of their party.

How many wings have you counted? :unsure:
I don't know. But off the top of my head:
Old School Establishment - Bush.
Reformist - Walker.
Full Tea Party - Cruz.
Paul - Paul.
Populist/Social Conservative - Huckabee.
Populist/Moderate-ish - Christie.

As I say that seems like a solid list of potential candidates - ignoring others like Rubio. All parts of the GOP have at least one candidate that they actually like and lots of others that they respect.  Romney's only previously won his party's heart when the alternatives were Santorum or Gingrich. He's dislikeable enough to reconcile the GOP to McCain :mellow:

I think, as a Republican, that I'm very disappointed in the Republican spread. The last 4 people on your list are all nutty - and the first two aren't anything to be excited about.

Actually I think I've been disappointed in both elections in which I voted (I could have voted for final term Bush but was apathetic -_-) what with wallpaper Romney and then old McCain + Crazy Lady.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 14, 2015, 12:03:42 AM
Click my link, it has Venn diagrams!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Well do recall that Sheibh's main interest in our candidates is as a source of entertainment. Most on that list certainly have different, "strong" personalities.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I'm not sure I would call Huckabee "strong".  Or Scott Walker or Cruz.  I'd say that Rand Paul is a very strong candidate (he's also the one I like least), but I think he can tap something in the GOP that it hasn't had since Reagan.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2015, 12:06:17 AM

Well do recall that Sheibh's main interest in our candidates is as a source of entertainment. Most on that list certainly have different, "strong" personalities.

Shelf like drama and excitement in politics.  I like the opposite.  I am always baffled by him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2015, 12:07:10 AM
I'm not sure I would call Huckabee "strong".  Or Scott Walker or Cruz.  I'd say that Rand Paul is a very strong candidate (he's also the one I like least), but I think he can tap something in the GOP that it hasn't had since Reagan.
Having a strong personality doesn't necessarily mean they're a strong candidate.

1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2015, 12:08:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2015, 12:06:17 AM

Shelf like drama and excitement in politics.  I like the opposite.  I am always baffled by him.

Yes, he likes the spectacle and theater of it, damn the consequences that we have to live with. <_<

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 14, 2015, 12:09:25 AM
Having a strong personality doesn't necessarily mean they're a strong candidate.

I wasn't sure if Raz was replying to what I said - but to be clear I was using the phrasing strong personality in the pejorative sense.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2015, 12:04:39 AM
I think, as a Republican, that I'm very disappointed in the Republican spread. The last 4 people on your list are all nutty - and the first two aren't anything to be excited about.

You agree with Jacob way too often to be a Republican. :contract:

Tim, I did check your link. I'm not sure I agree that "Tea Party" occupies its own space. There are just libertarian minded Republicans who consider the label theirs, and religious conservatives who consider it theirs. Also, I don't think anyone who might be considered part of the "moderate" wing has a chance in the primary.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 14, 2015, 12:14:07 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2015, 12:04:39 AM

You agree with Jacob way too often to be a Republican. :contract:

Last time I checked there is no litmus test that one has to take before declaring a party affiliation (or for that matter when actually voting for candidates of a particular party).

Also, I wonder if Jacob has the same impression that he and I generally agree on issues. :hmm:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2015, 12:13:09 AM

I wasn't sure if Raz was replying to what I said - but to be clear I was using the phrasing strong personality in the pejorative sense.
Hmm...I don't see why it would necessarily be a negative. Depending on the individual, having a strong personality could be a selling point.

1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 14, 2015, 12:19:04 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2015, 12:13:09 AM

Hmm...I don't see why it would necessarily be a negative. Depending on the individual, having a strong personality could be a selling point.

It doesn't have to be. That's sort of why I was clarifying my usage. :P