News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 09, 2016, 10:30:22 AM
Ginsburg will plough on unless she drops dead.  Breyer seems to be in decent health. Thomas can't be replaced in a way to move the Court rightward.

The real fight could be over Kennedy.

Are you sure she won't drop dead? She is 83.

Do you think Kennedy will stick it out for much longer?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on November 09, 2016, 10:51:39 AM
Crooked Hillary to speak shortly in NYC.

Well time to get back to hard work of managing a charitable foundation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Solmyr

Quote from: DGuller on November 09, 2016, 09:46:29 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2016, 09:37:34 AM
Well wait. Did any left politicians ever talk about 'safe spaces'? I thought that was just some left wing activist College Kid bullshit.
I'm not just talking about what politicians should do, I'm talking about what all liberals should do.  The nonsense that comes from stupid college kids alienates the bigots and makes them become bigger and more determined bigots just the same.

The question is, is there any position we can adopt that would NOT alienate bigots, and is that reason enough to adopt such a position.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on November 09, 2016, 10:46:34 AM
I've been beating this dead horse forever, but when you are not willing to honestly look at issues, you open yourself up to some crazy fuck who is willing to at least call a spade a spade.

The liberal establishment has buried their head in the sand in regards to the threat of Islamic radicalism, as one example, so we get someone who is fucking delusional about the problem and its solution because he is at least willing to admit that a problem exists. It isn't rational of course, but it is completely predictable, and was in fact predicted.

He has nothing but terrible proposed solutions to the problem, of course, but the alternative in the actual public sphere are people unwilling to even articulate the problem for fear of not being inclusive and tolerant enough. The Glen Greenwalds of the world, the SLPCs, these kinds of left wings dumbasses have their own little slice of responsibility for Trump as well.
Can't argue with that.  I have always disdained the propensity of liberals to designate well-meaning lies as truths that decent people shouldn't question.  People know it's bullshit in their hearts, and you get discredited.

Fate

Quote from: alfred russel on November 09, 2016, 10:50:31 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 09, 2016, 10:30:22 AM
Ginsburg will plough on unless she drops dead.  Breyer seems to be in decent health. Thomas can't be replaced in a way to move the Court rightward.

The real fight could be over Kennedy.

Are you sure she won't drop dead? She is 83.

Do you think Kennedy will stick it out for much longer?

Based on internet calculators... 75% chance a 84 year old healthy white educated female will make it to 90. So odds are that she might survive one Trump term.

Kennedy seems likely to go.

DGuller

Quote from: Solmyr on November 09, 2016, 11:00:57 AM
Quote from: DGuller on November 09, 2016, 09:46:29 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2016, 09:37:34 AM
Well wait. Did any left politicians ever talk about 'safe spaces'? I thought that was just some left wing activist College Kid bullshit.
I'm not just talking about what politicians should do, I'm talking about what all liberals should do.  The nonsense that comes from stupid college kids alienates the bigots and makes them become bigger and more determined bigots just the same.

The question is, is there any position we can adopt that would NOT alienate bigots, and is that reason enough to adopt such a position.
I don't know.  But you have to be pragmatic, it makes no sense to move the world 1year ahead if it provokes a backlash that sets you back 10 years, no matter how much you're morally in the right.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on November 09, 2016, 11:02:28 AM
Quote from: Berkut on November 09, 2016, 10:46:34 AM
I've been beating this dead horse forever, but when you are not willing to honestly look at issues, you open yourself up to some crazy fuck who is willing to at least call a spade a spade.

The liberal establishment has buried their head in the sand in regards to the threat of Islamic radicalism, as one example, so we get someone who is fucking delusional about the problem and its solution because he is at least willing to admit that a problem exists. It isn't rational of course, but it is completely predictable, and was in fact predicted.

He has nothing but terrible proposed solutions to the problem, of course, but the alternative in the actual public sphere are people unwilling to even articulate the problem for fear of not being inclusive and tolerant enough. The Glen Greenwalds of the world, the SLPCs, these kinds of left wings dumbasses have their own little slice of responsibility for Trump as well.
Can't argue with that.  I have always disdained the propensity of liberals to designate well-meaning lies as truths that decent people shouldn't question.  People know it's bullshit in their hearts, and you get discredited.

I think it is a mistake though to take too long a look at that aspect. Adults should be able to react in non-emotional ways. Sure the left has some slice of responsibility but is it really worth analysing in this immediate moment? Seems like there are more worrying issues unless one is suggesting that all of this could have been prevented had Obama ran around screaming radical islam. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

I think one general lesson is that people of all ages think emotionally and use reason to justify themselves after the fact. 

alfred russel

I'm tempted to drive out to the rural parts of Georgia to see the excitement there. I think it is probably as excited as they have gotten from an election since the vote to secede. Hopefully the next four years go better than that.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Neil

I heard that Russ Feingold was defeated, and I thought of Languish.  Poor Count must be heartbroken.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Quote from: Neil on November 09, 2016, 11:33:50 AM
I heard that Russ Feingold was defeated, and I thought of Languish.  Poor Count must be heartbroken.

Who the fuck are you?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

Remember those Podesta email leaks that basically said they were hoping Trump would win the Republican nomination so Hillary could stomp him in the general? Fucking looooooool

Be careful what you wish for, I guess.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 09, 2016, 11:43:58 AM
Remember those Podesta email leaks that basically said they were hoping Trump would win the Republican nomination so Hillary could stomp him in the general? Fucking looooooool

Be careful what you wish for, I guess.

He was still probably the weakest likely candidate vs. Hillary.  If Rand or Ted or even Jeb! got the nomination, this would not have been close.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall