News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Another angle is of course the SCOTUS. I mean it's not like Trump has actively campaigned on every cultural issue that liberals fear his SCOTUS nominees will champion.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on November 09, 2016, 09:46:29 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2016, 09:37:34 AM
Well wait. Did any left politicians ever talk about 'safe spaces'? I thought that was just some left wing activist College Kid bullshit.
I'm not just talking about what politicians should do, I'm talking about what all liberals should do.  The nonsense that comes from stupid college kids alienates the bigots and makes them become bigger and more determined bigots just the same.

There is more to this than just bigots.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Fate on November 09, 2016, 09:45:23 AM
we're going to have airports nicer than Dubai.

God I hope so. What could be more tacky than Dubai?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on November 09, 2016, 08:49:13 AM
Incidentally, this election paradoxically proves that despite all the money in US politics and the strength of the corporate and media establishment, they can't do shit if the people make up their mind about something. This, if nothing else, should be seen as a positive.

That's a misleading conclusion based on single race that though very important takes place only once every 4 years.

Spending down-ballot in the hundreds of congressional races was way up on 2012.  And it's with Congress - which has the exclusive power to initiate legislation - that monied influence is most powerfully felt. And that is only going to get worse as the new administration is not likely to address that problem.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Fate

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2016, 10:14:42 AM
Quote from: Fate on November 09, 2016, 09:45:23 AM
we're going to have airports nicer than Dubai.

God I hope so. What could be more tacky than Dubai?

Never been. But Trump really hates LaGuardia.

alfred russel

So how many USSC justices does Trump get to appoint?

I guess the Scalia replacement filibuster is going to pay off big time.

Is Ginsberg going to last the full term? Thomas?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Ginsburg will plough on unless she drops dead.  Breyer seems to be in decent health. Thomas can't be replaced in a way to move the Court rightward.

The real fight could be over Kennedy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

I thought Ruth was moving to New Zealand or something.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

At the end of the day if you take a look at the presumably blue states that Trump won (Michigan, Iowa, Pennsilvania...), the main issue is, as Bubba himself said, "the economy, stupid". It's like Brexit mark II, disenfranchised white working class voters giving the power to the populist that speaks to them instead of the ivory tower type that doesn't seem to understand them. Everything else seems to be window dressing.

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on November 09, 2016, 10:37:35 AM
At the end of the day if you take a look at the presumably blue states that Trump won (Michigan, Iowa, Pennsilvania...), the main issue is, as Bubba himself said, "the economy, stupid". It's like Brexit mark II, disenfranchised white working class voters giving the power to the populist that speaks to them instead of the ivory tower type that doesn't seem to understand them. Everything else seems to be window dressing.

Yes, to these people, NAFTA, TPP and other free trades agreement are NOT a good thing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 09, 2016, 10:40:00 AM
Yes, to these people, NAFTA, TPP and other free trades agreement are NOT a good thing.

I know :weep:

Doomed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on November 09, 2016, 10:37:35 AM

But it is much more than the disenfranchised white working class.  Trump and cump managed to convince even well-off voters that the country was "headed in the wrong direction," that the lives of these middle class voters did, in fact, suck even though the voters didn't realize it until Trump told them, and the preached that a trump presidency was the only way to restore the prosperous to prosperity.

I think a fair amount of the "headed in the wrong direction" feeling was engendered by things like the way gay marriage came out of the courts and not the legislatures.  Even some people who didn't really oppose gay marriage were offended by the way it became law.  "They" got to push their agenda again.

Trump's whole campaign was vague but bombastic assertions that only he could protect the people against Them.  Clinton didn't even realize that They existed, unless she was secretly one of Them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

I've been beating this dead horse forever, but when you are not willing to honestly look at issues, you open yourself up to some crazy fuck who is willing to at least call a spade a spade.

The liberal establishment has buried their head in the sand in regards to the threat of Islamic radicalism, as one example, so we get someone who is fucking delusional about the problem and its solution because he is at least willing to admit that a problem exists. It isn't rational of course, but it is completely predictable, and was in fact predicted.

He has nothing but terrible proposed solutions to the problem, of course, but the alternative in the actual public sphere are people unwilling to even articulate the problem for fear of not being inclusive and tolerant enough. The Glen Greenwalds of the world, the SLPCs, these kinds of left wings dumbasses have their own little slice of responsibility for Trump as well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned