News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on November 09, 2016, 08:49:13 AM
Incidentally, this election paradoxically proves that despite all the money in US politics and the strength of the corporate and media establishment, they can't do shit if the people make up their mind about something. This, if nothing else, should be seen as a positive.

Kind of true.

But it also shows that the powers that be are too fucking stupid to let up enough to even maintain a semblance of stability. The chase for more wealth and power is so consuming that they will let it get so far out of whack that it allows someone as toxic as Trump to come in and represent "change".

I guess maybe we can be glad that it isn't actual pitchforks and revolution???
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 09, 2016, 08:49:13 AM
Incidentally, this election paradoxically proves that despite all the money in US politics and the strength of the corporate and media establishment, they can't do shit if the people make up their mind about something. This, if nothing else, should be seen as a positive.

That has been true for many years now. And the results of this populist insurgency doesn't appear to be very positive so far.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on November 09, 2016, 08:48:25 AM
They gained seats in the Senate; and will almost certainly take control of the Senate and probably the house as well in 2018.

Did they get any traction in the House?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Fate

Quote from: Savonarola on November 09, 2016, 08:48:25 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 09, 2016, 08:42:57 AM
So where did the Democratic Party go wrong, and more importantly, where do they go from here?
It's beyond Hillary: the Dems simply can't win at any level.

They gained seats in the Senate; and will almost certainly take control of the Senate and probably the house as well in 2018.

2018 is going to be a bloodbath for the Dems in the Senate. There are a whole lot of blue seats in precarious states in this next cycle. Maybe they could get Nevada, but can you really make an argument for them picking up anything else?

2018 Senate map...

Right now what I see are a lot of Trump favorable rust belt states and red states that democrats really have no right winning anymore. If the Reps ran the table they could get a supermajority in the Senate for the first time since the early 1900s and Reconstruction. Absolutely no way Dems could get a majority unless there's a shit ton of unexpected retirements in the next two years.

Grey Fox

So where did the Democratic Party go wrong, and more importantly, where do they go from here?

The Urban/Suburban divide is real. The left spends too much time on Bullshit talking points (Safe spaces, gender issues, etc) and almost no time on effects of free trade agreements, wages gaps and healthcare reform. Too much social progress not enough Economic progress.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 09, 2016, 09:33:26 AM

The Urban/Suburban divide is real. The left spends too much time on Bullshit talking points (Safe spaces, gender issues, etc) and almost no time on effects of free trade agreements, wages gaps and healthcare reform. Too much social progress not enough Economic progress.
That I'm going to agree with.  The left does not seem to realize that every ultraliberal talking point has a political cost, and every mention of "safe spaces" antagonizes a bigoted fossil that much more.  There is a limited political budget for doing things, and all that safe space bullshit squandered it.

Valmy

Well wait. Did any left politicians ever talk about 'safe spaces'? I thought that was just some left wing activist College Kid bullshit.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2016, 09:37:34 AM
Well wait. Did any left politicians ever talk about 'safe spaces'? I thought that was just some left wing activist College Kid bullshit.
Yeah, I don't recall the Clinton campaign ever mentioning it.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Fate

Quote from: Caliga on November 09, 2016, 09:42:55 AM

She did jump on the Black Lives Matter / mothers of the movement and transgendered train. But I think those issues were at the periphery and didn't move many in the electorate. Trump won the electoral college based on the economy in the rust belt. He's going to get us 4% GDP growth and we're going to have airports nicer than Dubai.

Not a bad dream... I doubt it happens.

PDH

Once again this shows that I live in a very, very stupid country.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

I'm not just talking about what politicians should do, I'm talking about what all liberals should do.  The nonsense that comes from stupid college kids alienates the bigots and makes them become bigger and more determined bigots just the same.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on November 09, 2016, 09:42:55 AM

That would have made it worse. The Left activists are already spending more time campaigning for bullshit. Acknowledging it on a National/Presidential level would have just made everything worse.

Grey Fox

At every local level? Maybe, maybe not. Perception is everything tho.

Martinus

There is also the administration angle - for example Obama's department of education issued a number of guidelines for universities which fit into the overall "safe space" culture - like effectively reversing burden of proof on rape and sexual assault accusations on campuses.

From the right wing perspective this is probably even more dangerous than campaigning on some legislative initiative, as this is a sort of creeping change that is not subject to any public scrutiny.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on November 09, 2016, 09:46:29 AM
I'm not just talking about what politicians should do, I'm talking about what all liberals should do.  The nonsense that comes from stupid college kids alienates the bigots and makes them become bigger and more determined bigots just the same.

Nonsense like that alienates far more than the bigots.

And getting into stupid fights over toilet permissions for a mind-blowingly tiny portion of the population, when apparently a huge segment of the population is pre-occupied with the profane topics of a secure future, didn't help either.
I am not saying to throw your hands up and surrender when a friggin' nazi wants to opress transgender people, but be the one who introduces some common sense into the discussion FFS.