News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Clinton has inched past Trump in the popular vote, with still around 1 million votes to tally in the west coast.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on November 09, 2016, 12:20:09 AM
It's 6:15am. I woke after 3.5 hours of sleep (thanks bronchitis) and haven't been able to go back to sleep.

I'm written sick by my doctor till Friday - is it too early to start drinking?

As long as you eat something with it, no.  :P
Unless it's antibiotics and you are not supposed to have any alcohol anyways.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on November 09, 2016, 12:48:18 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 09, 2016, 12:45:49 AM
Quote from: Caliga on November 09, 2016, 12:42:54 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on November 09, 2016, 12:41:36 AM
MSNBC said just this second that there is 0% in from Lebanon Co. :hmm:
CNN shows 98% of the vote now in there, with Trump @ 65%.

And Michel Aoun has the rest, so no help for HRC

Yeah, I wasn't slightly saddened by Languish's failure to comment on the return of Zombie Aoun, not even a pip from CdM.

Needs a Hibullah reference joke somewhere.
Make Hizbullah great again?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on November 08, 2016, 11:22:33 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 08, 2016, 11:20:24 PM
Quote from: Zanza on November 08, 2016, 11:18:59 PMCongress not willing to govern and the Court becoming just another partisan institution instead of an impartial arbiter makes you wonder how strong the foundations of the Republic are.

Brexit, Trump, right-wing authoritarians across most of Europe... if it was a book or movie that's what you'd call "heavy foreshadowing".
The French might elect Marine Le Pen in March to continue the theme ...

Still unlikely, the situation needs to degrade even more, unless there are major terrorist attacks and more of the "migrant" crisis. She's in the run-off, that's for sure and that could help the PS (Miterrand manoeuvre) keeping power, paving the way for Le Pen 2022.

Duque de Bragança

Zanza

Quote from: Gups on November 09, 2016, 06:19:30 AM
If we can get through the next 4 years without a limited nuclear war, a major Russian expansion, without climate change treaties being ripped up and without the world's trade being decimated, I'll take it as a win at this stage.

In the meantime, we on the liberal/left side need to STFU about trans toilets, safe spaces and microagressions and start focussing on equality, employment and wages like we used to.

I agree with Ivan that it feels like the death march for liberal western capitalism.
Agreed. The best we can hope for in the area of foreign policy is that everything stays as it is. I hope he just finds foreign policy boring and has a compentent secretary of state who takes care of this, i.e. not Gingrich.

Caliga

Secretary of State Melania.

"Let me tell you something, she is so hot, everyone will listen to her, ok?"
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Tamas

Quote from: Gups on November 09, 2016, 06:19:30 AM
If we can get through the next 4 years without a limited nuclear war, a major Russian expansion, without climate change treaties being ripped up and without the world's trade being decimated, I'll take it as a win at this stage.

In the meantime, we on the liberal/left side need to STFU about trans toilets, safe spaces and microagressions and start focussing on equality, employment and wages like we used to.

I agree with Ivan that it feels like the death march for liberal western capitalism.

Yeah, I fully agree.

It is becoming painfully obvious that whatever traction liberalism has had left, has been going just on inertia and it is about to run out. It needs to entrench, choose its battles and defend the core values.

Martinus

This may actually be a good opportunity for a political reshuffle that could lead to a renaissance of what used to be called "classical liberalism" - because neither the progressive left's nanny state, with its safe spaces, microaggressions and identity politics, nor Trump's nationalist populism, with its protectionism and libel laws, values personal liberty.

In this, Trump's victory may be good as it leads to the destruction of the old divide - assuming we can build something better on the ruins of the old system.

Caliga

A friend of mine posted an exit poll stat showing that 33% of Latino male voters supported Trump.

:mellow:

:wacko:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

What I take from this right now is how

1) Polls & Pollster don't work anymore. Brexit, Liberal Party win Canada, NDP win in Alberta, Trump. They can't predict shit anymore.

2) The Liberal media bias is real. We only ever talk about ourselves.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Also, I continue my streak of never having my candidate win the general election. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.