News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2016, 01:07:56 AM
Yes, yes - the fundamentals of getting people to go out and vote don't translate at all across the 49th parallel... :rolleyes:

You forget how much Americans hate immigrants, niggers and women.

Martinus

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2016, 01:12:02 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on November 02, 2016, 09:11:01 PM
Here is the current electoral map if Trump wins all states that he is leading or within just 2% (according to RCP average of polls):

I'd give him Pennsylvania too. Mark my words.  :sleep:

:sleep:

derspiess

So I meant to post this the other day but was too lazy-- Everyone has been asking of Trump will concede.  Has anyone asked Hillary if she will concede if it looks like she lost??
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maladict

Quote from: derspiess on November 09, 2016, 01:15:17 AM
So I meant to post this the other day but was too lazy-- Everyone has been asking of Trump will concede.  Has anyone asked Hillary if she will concede if it looks like she lost??

The way it's looking now there's not really any point in fighting it.

Martinus

What I am amazed at is how consistently wrong the media, pundits, pollsters and all the "chattering classes" got this entire elections' cycle in terms of Trump's chances etc.

Sorry, but it does turn out they are full of shit and at best engaging in wishful thinking, and at worst an outright manipulation and distortion. It's a sad conclusion that the likes of Breitbart, Fox News and Ann Coulter seem to be more in touch with the reality than the rest.

jimmy olsen

She was asked that and she said yes.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 09, 2016, 01:20:35 AM
She was asked that and she said yes.

Thanks.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zoupa on November 09, 2016, 01:10:45 AM
What a giant fuck you to Obama. His legacy is in the toilet. Goodbye Obamacare, goodbye COP21, goodbye Cuban openings. Poor guy...

As an American, I am embarrassed that the President of the United States is going to have to hand the keys over to the man whose campaign was based on the premise that he never, ever belonged there in the first place.

QuoteIs Michelle going to be pissed off enough to run in 2020?  :lol:

Doubful; even Obama's said she's got no tolerance for the kind of silliness involved in campaigning.  Quite frankly, considering the crap her family has had to deal with, I don't blame her.  She's classier than that.

derspiess

On that last point I'll agree-- Michelle is too smart to want to go through the shit you go through to compete for the Presidency.  If you already have a pretty nice life, it's just not worth it.

CountDeMoney

QuotePolitico.com
Maryland's Republican governor votes for his dad for president
By Adam Cancryn
11/08/16 09:20 PM EST

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan said he voted Tuesday for the person he believes best represents presidential values — his own father.

Hogan wrote in his father, Larry Hogan Sr., for president rather than casting a ballot for either of the two major party nominees, a spokesman told The Washington Post. The choice follows through on a pledge that the Republican governor made in June not to vote for Trump.

"As he has said for many months, the governor is extremely disappointed in the candidates from both major parties and decided to write in the name of the person who taught him what it meant to hold public office with integrity," spokesman Doug Mayer said.

Hogan Sr. served as a congressman during the Watergate era, and was the only Republican on the House Judiciary Committee to vote to impeach Richard Nixon.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2016, 01:10:03 AM
I know your experience and skills and I respect them.  But you're also such a hyper-partisan hack (which isn't meant as an attack)...
It may not be an attack, but it's a pretty stupid thing to say, especially on a night when much of my reasoning for my anti-GOP position has been vindicated.  And I was right on analysis and not on luck. 

I have always admitted to being liberal on 75% of the issues, but I've also been saying that the reason for me being so vehemently anti-GOP was because the party became the insurgent party bent on uprooting democratic institutions.  I saw the parallels between Putinists and hard-core American right-wingers long before most others. 

That's also why I was disdainful of "moderates", because being a moderate between a standard political party and an insurgent authoritarian party is no virtue.  And let's not kid ourselves that this insurgency started with Trump, this started at least 20+ years ago and was progressing at a modest clip, until Trump swooped and went for broke.

I may have been way on the side of Democratic Party for a while now, but that wasn't because I was a "hyper-partisan hack".  I was there because that was the only place for a thinking non-sophist to be in.
I dunno.  Maybe Trump was just lucky.  But he did hit on something.
That he did.  But most likely by accident.  Jerry Yang won the WSOP Main Event by being a kamikaze idiot, and by the time other players realized that it was too late, he had too many chips and too much luck on his side.  He still went bankrupt later on.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Sounds like the GOP is pretty much confirmed to retain the Senate-- in addition to the House that was projected way earlier.

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on November 09, 2016, 01:28:58 AM
Sounds like the GOP is pretty much confirmed to retain the Senate-- in addition to the House that was projected way earlier.

Yup, you guys get to run the place. Enjoy :)