2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

I wonder if I should watch the shitshow tonight. It will surely be a historical low in the history of Western democracy, so worth seeing. But it's at 3am local time here, which is a bit stressful if I have to work again tomorrow.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Zanza on October 19, 2016, 12:35:59 PM
She should have a token white guy in there. A homosexual atheist white guy.

Drop the gay requirement and get Sam Harris, then Raz would rage for years. Put him in charge of White House meditation/psychedelics sessions.

Barrister

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 19, 2016, 12:33:53 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 19, 2016, 12:27:18 PM
I would say something for Obama himself, but I know he is going to USSC...

He'd be more than qualified, and all the right people would die of apoplexy.

Would he really want to though?  The salary of a USSC justice is $240k, which is nice enough, but Obama would be able to clean up on the speaking circuit once he is done.  He may well want to look after his own family and earn a few bucks.  And while you can still give speechas as a USSC Justice, you're far more restricted in what you can say (plus you have a day job to worry about).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2016, 12:51:41 PM

Would he really want to though?  The salary of a USSC justice is $240k, which is nice enough, but Obama would be able to clean up on the speaking circuit once he is done.  He may well want to look after his own family and earn a few bucks.  And while you can still give speechas as a USSC Justice, you're far more restricted in what you can say (plus you have a day job to worry about).

That's a good point. He might want to take a few years off to do that. Alternatively, he could do it after a ~decade on the court, tough that'd be taking a risk on his reputation being affected by being a judge.

Zanza

Maybe I am naive, but Obama doesn't strike me as a person whose primary motivation is to earn as much as possible. Maybe he is more interested in having power, which he surely would have as a supreme court justice.

Malthus

I suspect that someone who has been POTUS will be far more concerned with promoting his or her political legacy, than his or her personal fortune.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Zanza on October 19, 2016, 12:56:26 PM
Maybe I am naive, but Obama doesn't strike me as a person whose primary motivation is to earn as much as possible. Maybe he is more interested in having power, which he surely would have as a supreme court justice.

Money, spending more time with the family, taking it easy, getting more golf in-- I could see him choosing that route.  I'd imagine he would welcome a break from a public life for a while.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on October 19, 2016, 01:25:18 PM
Quote from: Zanza on October 19, 2016, 12:56:26 PM

Money, spending more time with the family, taking it easy, getting more golf in-- I could see him choosing that route.  I'd imagine he would welcome a break from a public life for a while.

USSC Justice seems almost ideal for that though. I get the impression it is a job you can actually put very little actual work into if you want.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on October 19, 2016, 12:57:11 PM

I suspect that someone who has been POTUS will be far more concerned with promoting his or her political legacy, than his or her personal fortune.

No reason you can't do both, like Bill has.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on October 19, 2016, 01:26:39 PM
USSC Justice seems almost ideal for that though. I get the impression it is a job you can actually put very little actual work into if you want.

Wrong impression.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Hamilcar

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 19, 2016, 01:53:42 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 19, 2016, 01:26:39 PM

Wrong impression.

Compared to a) federal judge and b) law firm partner, how is the workload?

Legbiter

Quote from: Zanza on October 19, 2016, 12:39:17 PM
I wonder if I should watch the shitshow tonight. It will surely be a historical low in the history of Western democracy, so worth seeing. But it's at 3am local time here, which is a bit stressful if I have to work again tomorrow.

I'll probably miss it as well. Languish will fill me in tomorrow.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Jacob

Apparently Roger Ailes is no longer advising the Trump campaign.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on October 19, 2016, 02:04:59 PM

There's nothing left for him to teach Donald about sexual assault.  The student has become the master.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on October 19, 2016, 02:04:59 PM

For Trump's sake I hope it's because he realizes it looks terrible when you're being accused of being sexually aggressive with women, to be getting advice from someone who is accused of being sexually aggressive with women.

But knowing Trump that's probably not the reason why.