2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: Martinus on October 15, 2016, 01:00:40 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2016, 11:53:11 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 15, 2016, 11:41:59 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2016, 11:15:55 AM
Of course;  they're all not related to derspiess.  This whole thing isn't going to move their needle at all.

Begs the question what happens when there's a candidate who can tap that font of resentment and isn't as scandalous a person as Trump.

He is such a unique aberration--the combination of his wealth, his level of celebrity, his textbook demagoguery--that I don't think there's another figure on the national level where this uniqueness can be replicated.  If the GOP wants to keep going crazy, it'll be some unknown yahoo from the House of Representatives.

I don't think there is turning back for the GOP. Trump represents the sentiments of their base.

Yup. Trump owns the GOP now. What's left of the party is overrun with people utterly devoted to him. The establishment may not realize it yet. They think things will go back to normal after the election  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 15, 2016, 01:56:47 PM
Yup. Trump owns the GOP now. What's left of the party is overrun with people utterly devoted to him. The establishment may not realize it yet. They think things will go back to normal after the election  :lol:

Meh. I think a year from now we'll be going "Donald Who?"
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 15, 2016, 02:00:36 PM

I hope you're right, but I have a feeling Donald J Trump will not go gently into that good night.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 15, 2016, 02:03:06 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 15, 2016, 02:00:36 PM

I hope you're right, but I have a feeling Donald J Trump will not go gently into that good night.

I don't know. I'm not sure there's precedent for Trump being a loser with the world's eyes watching.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

dps

Quote from: Syt on October 15, 2016, 11:41:59 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2016, 11:15:55 AM
Of course;  they're all not related to derspiess.  This whole thing isn't going to move their needle at all.

Begs the question what happens when there's a candidate who can tap that font of resentment and isn't as scandalous a person as Trump.

Not really, IMO.  Every successful Presidential candidate of the past 50 years has tapped into that sentiment to some degree except Bush the Elder and maybe Bill Clinton;  everyone else ran at least to an extent, as a Washington "outsider" (Clinton in 1996 was certainly more of an outsider to Washington than some of the others, but I don't recall him making an issue of it).  Before this year, though, those other candidates all had the dial somewhere between 1 and 4;  Trump has turned it up to 11, and adds some vile stuff none of the others would have even considered saying. 

CountDeMoney

As much vitroil as 8 years of a black President and the possibility of at least 4 years of a female President, this kind of emotion simply can't be maintained--no matter how many media outlets try to fan the flames.  People are emotionally exhausted.

mongers

All over bar the shouting now?

Or with 23-24 days to go, are any extremists or nutters going to throw a Fall surprise?

After all in quiet olde England we had an MP assassinated by an extremist in the last few days of our charged Brexit campaign.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Quote from: mongers on October 15, 2016, 03:50:55 PM

Or with 23-24 days to go, are any extremists or nutters going to throw a Fall surprise?

After all in quiet olde England we had an MP assassinated by an extremist in the last few days of our charged Brexit campaign.

I had already forgotten that. :( But yeah, from an outside perspective US does seem to have a few more nutters than the UK so who knows.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on October 15, 2016, 03:54:09 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 15, 2016, 03:50:55 PM

I had already forgotten that. :( But yeah, from an outside perspective US does seem to have a few more nutters than the UK so who knows.

Time will tell.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grinning_Colossus

Is the permanent destruction of the Republican Party worth 4 years of Trump? If I lived in a swing state, the thought would give me pause.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Admiral Yi

Paddy Power odds shifted crazily in one day: Hill 1/6, Don 5/1.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point